National News Boris Johnson - Ousted Former PM

Do you have to pay for your ID card in the Netherlands?

I'm a UK citizen living in Europe. My resident land (Netherlands) has had compulsory ID cards for many years. I have no problem with that law because I'm not ashamed of anything I have done. Whenever I go out my front door I automatically take my debit card and ID card with me, no problem. Can somebody tell me what is wrong with that?

Do you have to pay for your ID card in the Netherlands?

A Dutch saying is "Voor niets gaat de zon op", = the sun comes up free. Nothing else is free in the Netherlands.
Well not exactly true, quite a few people are prepared to give you a cold or the flu without charge.

I'm a UK citizen living in Europe. My resident land (Netherlands) has had compulsory ID cards for many years. I have no problem with that law because I'm not ashamed of anything I have done. Whenever I go out my front door I automatically take my debit card and ID card with me, no problem. Can somebody tell me what is wrong with that?
in the UK its (currently) not compulsory, or a legal requirement to carry an id card, .... personally, I dont like the thought of being required to carry a compulsory id card, the government eventually, thankfully scrapped its plans, in the 80s, to impose id cards on anyone who was a football supporter.... is there a fee to pay for the Dutch compulsory id card @Malc ?

Nothing wrong with ID cards especially if you have done nothing wrong...... ? ✅

And it prevents me being labelled as an illegal immigrant. To get an ID card you have to first obtain a BSN (Burger Service Nummer = Citizens Service number). This registers you to pay income tax and many other services from the local council (financial assistance. housing, passports, driving licence etc). The Netherlands has a lot of rules for citizens to follow, but most of them are logical and prevent scroungers living off the state. But as a tax payer I once found myself unemployed but within 1 day I was granted an financial allowance which was a basic living wage and I could have received that for many years. But luckily I found a new employer with a month.

Also I must report that I have never had to show my ID card, most companies accept a driving license as ID too (my BSN is on that document). Only the police would ask for it if I broke the law and they suspected me of being an illegal immigrant.

@Sarge see my earlier post, yes it costs about £30 and is valid for 10 years. Not a great hardship.

And it prevents me being labelled as an illegal immigrant. To get an ID card you have to first obtain a BSN (Burger Service Nummer = Citizens Service number). This registers you to pay income tax and many other services from the local council (financial assistance. housing, passports, driving licence etc). The Netherlands has a lot of rules for citizens to follow, but most of them are logical and prevent scroungers living off the state. But as a tax payer I once found myself unemployed but within 1 day I was granted an financial allowance which was a basic living wage and I could have received that for many years. But luckily I found a new employer with a month.

Also I must report that I have never had to show my ID card, most companies accept a driving license as ID too (my BSN is on that document). Only the police would ask for it if I broke the law and they suspected me of being an illegal immigrant.

@Sarge see my earlier post, yes it costs about £30 and is valid for 10 years. Not a great hardship.
cheers for info @Malc .... in the UK that £30 fee would soon gain another 0 on the end (£300- another annual/ bi annual fee to pay, on top of all other invisible 'taxes' levied on UK citizens!!!).... and the quango tasked with running the ID card system would in all likelihood not be able to cope IMO

Sounds awful. I can see why we want nothing to do with you bunch of scum bags and your stupid ways.

You really are a happy chappy. Always looking for an argument. ?

Then he should know that I am sitting on the other side of the fence. Looked back at ths post and can see nothing about the positive side of the EU.

Ps Brexit will split the UK, NI will join Ireland ans Scotland will fight to leave too.

You really are a happy chappy. Always looking for an argument. ?
Malc, what on Earth are you on about? For a man who has to read every post on this forum, how on earth can you not see the countless pro EU posts I’ve put across various threads on this forum? I was being deeply sarcastic.

Have it your way, pal. No debate or anything but happy clapping on the forum from now on. Honestly.

Yes I read every post. But very little stays in my head for more than a few seconds, and I don't make a list of who's pro or anti Brexit.
Sorry if I misinterpreted your post. My bad.

Odd how Brits are anti-ID cards in contrast to the majority of the continent. Yet quite unfazed about the CCTV serveillance culture where Blighty has the highest number of cameras per capital in Europe. Think I'd know which I would rather...

If the EU is all that....there is still time to pack yer bags and leave

There are a lot of people who are against CCTV in this country, but they get shouted down by the "nothing to hide, nothing to fear mob".

Same as the European court of human rights. Our right win politicians and press have made up countless stories about it to try and undermine it. Add Legal Aid to the list as well. "It's criminals and terrorists using YOUR money". There was a Tory polician who was falsely accused and it cost him about £150,000 to clear his name. He soon changed his tune on the benefits of legal aid.

On the point about ID for in-person voting, there's only been a single conviction for it as far as I can find out, so it is a massive sledgehammer to crack an almost non-existent nut. And as many have pointed out, the poorest will be the ones disenfranchised by the plans (exactly what the Tories want).

Odd how Brits are anti-ID cards in contrast to the majority of the continent. Yet quite unfazed about the CCTV serveillance culture where Blighty has the highest number of cameras per capital in Europe. Think I'd know which I would rather...

Seems Jeremy thinks it "discriminates" against, what is locally, the core Labour vote.

Of course that particular part of our society would never try and unbalance the system by voting fraudulently .......oh...... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-23461729

Seems Jeremy thinks it "discriminates" against, what is locally, the core Labour vote.

Of course that particular part of our society would never try and unbalance the system by voting fraudulently .......oh...... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-23461729

And as I linked earlier from the electoral commission, the stats show there are a few incidents but they are statistically utterly insignificant.

As the Electoral Commission report shows in 2017:

1 conviction and 8 police cautions

Of the other 289 cases, 207 no further action and 82 that were locally resolved.

Of the total cases, 165 were involved with the campaign side rather than the individual voter which the ID card is aimed at.

This is against millions of votes cast.

Also, as pointed out in the Independent report linked previously, the Academic from the East of England University that studies this area backs up that it is statistically insignificant.

This is a policy that is using an industrial crusher to smash a non-existent nut.

Here’s why the Tories are bringing this in- to drive away Labour voters. No wonder all the Tories on here think it’s a great idea.
Johnson’s so unpopular he can’t go out in public. He was elected by less than a hundred thousand people. The only way they can win is by cheating- like the Republicans in the USA

Back
Top Bottom