National News Boris Johnson in ICU

I have ventured onto Twitter a few times recently. It is a cesspit and in significant part showcases the worst, least tolerant, least empathetic and least intelligent aspects of human nature. Never mind washing my hands, a glance at Twitter leaves me wanting to disinfect my computer and myself. Yeuch.
Perhaps it's the people you follow?

Perhaps it's the people you follow?
Don't really follow anyone apart from OUFC. Just following links to pretty uncontroversial topics sent to me by friends. Some people seemingly absolutely cannot wait to pile in on even the most inoffensive material with ego-driven and ill-informed drivel, which soon seems to topple into outright abuse. It's not so much the original posters much of the time - its those who 'comment'.

Go on Twitter and be prepared to be depressed. Some of the comments are disgraceful.

As to this thread why should anybody’s personal politics be mentioned as a precursor to wishing our PM a full recovery from a desperately serious illness?

He’s a man with family, friends pregnant fiancé ( who also has Cov19.) and , oh yes , the hopes and fears of 68 million people on his shoulders .

Get well soon.

Just a few weeks ago, Twitter was #bekind, we need to be nicer online, etc - it lasted less than a week.

Why are these people full of such a vindictive hatred of people whose views are different to them? And have the need to tell everyone about it in such a public way?

Just a few weeks ago, Twitter was #bekind, we need to be nicer online, etc - it lasted less than a week.

Why are these people full of such a vindictive hatred of people whose views are different to them? And have the need to tell everyone about it in such a public way?
Nobody from ‘either side’ can claim anything resembling higher ground or standards, because even people being perfectly reasonable and polite are eventually clocked from behind. Whether it’s fiercely aggressive or immature taunting and name calling, nobody who behaves well can manage to do so without somebody eventually throwing an egg at them, which then makes them retaliate, and then off we go again. Eventually everybody is aggressive from the off, because if they’re going to get attacked anyway then why bother? And that applies to any and all ‘sides’. One of the few things that’s universal nowadays is divisiveness. Everybody is at it.

I’ve seen right nasty little fuckers from both sides of every debate, and every divide I’ve ever witnessed. It isn’t new or unusual; merely amplified in an age where everybody has a soapbox, and can in turn create a bubble where they only follow their own kind, and can block anybody they view as the ‘opposition’. You don’t have to get on with people or agree with them at all, but I think this world we’ve stumbled into where you can just switch off the people you don’t agree with is dangerous. I think it’s important that people are forced to engage with each other, and to be exposed to the existence of things that they don’t like or agree with. People should want their viewpoints and opinions challenged in order to ensure that they truly believe in them. Some of the things people say and do make me genuinely despair, but I wouldn’t ever want to just switch them off. I would hope most people are the same regardless of their beliefs. But the vitriol and aggression is far from one-sided. I just think that muppets are muppets and arseholes are arseholes, and that those people would find some sort of way to let that spill out regardless.

Personally, I favour the Winchester method to conflict resolution.

2FBD890C-FCC1-49F1-A12D-DCFAEE614D9F.jpeg

Most (if not all) social media creates a phenomenon akin to road rage. People say and do things they would not dream of if they were face to face.

As you say, it also attracts like minded souls to amplify and express many of those thoughts and actions in the echo chambers they create around themselves - things they would not say or think in public if they had to interact with real people in a physical environment. Hence we get frankly disgraceful levels of vitriol and abuse and with little moderation either.

Thank god for Yellowsforum and the fabulous mods keeping a modicum of decorum for everyone's benefit.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of dickheads on here, but at least we're all dickheads who love OUFC!

Most (if not all) social media creates a phenomenon akin to road rage. People say and do things they would not dream of if they were face to face.

As you say, it also attracts like minded souls to amplify and express many of those thoughts and actions in the echo chambers they create around themselves - things they would not say or think in public if they had to interact with real people in a physical environment. Hence we get frankly disgraceful levels of vitriol and abuse and with little moderation either.

Thank god for Yellowsforum and the fabulous mods keeping a modicum of decorum for everyone's benefit.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of dickheads on here, but at least we're all dickheads who love OUFC!
Indeed. I also think anonymity has a lot to answer for. If social media accounts (and forums, I might add) required your real name and possibly even your photo to be displayed, would people be as brave?

Anyhow, hope the fella pulls through. Maybe his encounter will change and possibly even soften a few of his opinions and policies ?

While Boris has many critics ( and I have been one) but I believe him to be a man for the moment. A Churchill of our times.
I honestly hope that he recovers because he is many things and one of them is a leader.
We, as a country have too few.
We will, going forward need his drive and energy if we are going to get this country back up off it’s knees after Covid. Who else could do this right now?

The person I follow is the consultant that treated me , and that’s for gathering info about what’s happening at the moment

While Boris has many critics ( and I have been one) but I believe him to be a man for the moment. A Churchill of our times.
I honestly hope that he recovers because he is many things and one of them is a leader.
We, as a country have too few.
We will, going forward need his drive and energy if we are going to get this country back up off it’s knees after Covid. Who else could do this right now?
If the UK goes on to have the most deaths of any European country, after his waffling about shaking hands with everyone, herd immunity, failing to lock down etc, that’s a catastrophic failure. I hope the guy doesn’t die but I’m going to base my opinion on claims such as these on the cold, hard facts which stare back at us in a few months. So far I don’t see what he’s done that makes me want to entertain his Churchillian credentials.

And what if it doesn’t? Agree with the OP, Boris has handled this crisis pretty well. Clear to see we are missing his drive and energy.

Nobody from ‘either side’ can claim anything resembling higher ground or standards, because even people being perfectly reasonable and polite are eventually clocked from behind. Whether it’s fiercely aggressive or immature taunting and name calling, nobody who behaves well can manage to do so without somebody eventually throwing an egg at them, which then makes them retaliate, and then off we go again. Eventually everybody is aggressive from the off, because if they’re going to get attacked anyway then why bother? And that applies to any and all ‘sides’. One of the few things that’s universal nowadays is divisiveness. Everybody is at it.

I’ve seen right nasty little fuckers from both sides of every debate, and every divide I’ve ever witnessed. It isn’t new or unusual; merely amplified in an age where everybody has a soapbox, and can in turn create a bubble where they only follow their own kind, and can block anybody they view as the ‘opposition’. You don’t have to get on with people or agree with them at all, but I think this world we’ve stumbled into where you can just switch off the people you don’t agree with is dangerous. I think it’s important that people are forced to engage with each other, and to be exposed to the existence of things that they don’t like or agree with. People should want their viewpoints and opinions challenged in order to ensure that they truly believe in them. Some of the things people say and do make me genuinely despair, but I wouldn’t ever want to just switch them off. I would hope most people are the same regardless of their beliefs. But the vitriol and aggression is far from one-sided. I just think that muppets are muppets and arseholes are arseholes, and that those people would find some sort of way to let that spill out regardless.

Personally, I favour the Winchester method to conflict resolution.

View attachment 3390
Don't get me started on the far right muppets. Hate filled idiots who I'd happily leave on a deserted island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean to fend for themselves. I cannot stand them or their views.

However, some social media platforms are very politically slanted, which enables people to feel comfortable spouting hate because they know they will get away with it and be praised for it...

But regardless of that, I do think some on the left have to grow up and not take it all so seriously or personally, as in reality, it doesn't matter that much. I don't like Corbyn's views, but I can easily wish him a healthy and happy life; same for Diane Abbott; same for Blair, Brown or whoever. And the same applies to everyone.

Gloating over a pregnant lady having COVID was the worst example!

And what if it doesn’t? Agree with the OP, Boris has handled this crisis pretty well. Clear to see we are missing his drive and energy.
I'd say that any judgement on how this has been handled is premature at the moment, the time for reflection isn't now.

Here’s to him making a recovery, us getting through this crisis with the minimum of deaths, then we can all look forward to a 300 page thread dissecting this whole episode.

I think Twitter will die in the next few years. It's a platform for the aggrieved and psychotic to spew their bile. Once something more useful comes along, reasonable people and companies will drop it. I only really use it now for following sports teams and the top people from the fields in which I'm interested.

I'm not so sure Twitter is going anywhere...must be doing well going by this. Good man, though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52209690
A Republican activist investor just got a big stake in Twitter, so it could be interesting to see what happens. He wants to remove Dorsey from the picture

But dislikes Trump, so first point of order could be to remove the various Trump's from the platform!

you-can-do-better-than-that-memes-com-17633693.png

Back
Top Bottom