Bolton’s Problems Continue

I wonder what their punishment will be for that?
They must be in danger if being thrown out if the league if they can't play their last 2 games?

They have to play no matter what sort of side they put out. Even if it’s their youth team they are obliged as a professional team to fulfill their fixtures. They’ve got to play Brentford and Forest In the next two weeks or they will be in even deeper sh!t

Think they changed the rules about playing youth teams in first team games to stop the opposition gaining an unfair advantage if it’s the business end of the season. Although in this case it wouldn’t be true as Brentford and Forest have nothing to play for.

Think they changed the rules about playing youth teams in first team games to stop the opposition gaining an unfair advantage if it’s the business end of the season. Although in this case it wouldn’t be true as Brentford and Forest have nothing to play for.

EFL latest statement says they only allowed the postponement as the Bolton U18s played on Thursday, otherwise they would have been able to field a team of sorts.

So I assume in this instance they would have allowed a weakened side to have been played (and then probably fined Bolton for having done so).

Assuming the first team players and staff are on strike then won’t the rest of the players etc back them up and refuse to play as well? Could happen, solidarity brothers/sisters and all that.

Assuming the first team players and staff are on strike then won’t the rest of the players etc back them up and refuse to play as well? Could happen, solidarity brothers/sisters and all that.

I think the first team would understand the youngsters wanting an opportunity to show what they can do. There wouldn't be the animosity usually found amongst people breaking the strikes in other industries.

it could happen.... however senior pro' contract terms etc may well differ from youth contracts and terms?

when I was doing my apprenticeship at the car factory ( some time during the last century), when the factory was out on strike, apprentices had an exemption 'pass' from the (Engineering) Union so apprentices could legitimately cross the picket line - the 'pass' said something along the lines of the holder being an apprentice, employed on apprentice terms, and wasnt required to take part in this round of industrial action.
presumably similar applies in professional football?

EFL latest statement says they only allowed the postponement as the Bolton U18s played on Thursday, otherwise they would have been able to field a team of sorts.

So I assume in this instance they would have allowed a weakened side to have been played (and then probably fined Bolton for having done so).

Considering Man Utd and other teams have been fined in the past for arriving late, surely not turning up at all will result in some for of further punishment

They have a new owner don’t they? You would of thought paying the wages would be a priority, unless he wants them all to walk and clear that bill before a season in league one.

They should be starting next season on minus points at least, could end up with back to back relegations.

No, the sale is still subject to EFL approval and the potential new owner, Bassini, has to pass the "fit and proper person" test. Bassini was banned from being a director for 3 years when he owned Watford, which was apparently a mad year.

The sale is looking shaky anyway after a public dispute over this situation which is explained in the following:

How is it fair on the youth team to play and break the strike of the senior players? The EFL are beyond clueless

The EFL have a lot to answer for. They are disappointed by the stance the players have taken yet surely they should be doing more to ensure clubs are run properly and people within their industry are having their contracts honoured. I know these players get paid extremely well and more than any of us can dream of but the staff don't and morally it shouldn't matter how much you earn. You should always pay your staff on time.
As for Bolton's current owner trying to pass the whole blame onto the new guy who still hasn't passed the fit and proper tests yet sums him up.

That’s ok in this situation as they are dead rubber fixtures, but it sets a precedent that even at this stage of the season that a team can put a weak team out, be interested to see what would happen if that was a promotion/relegation fixture?

Bassini to meet with the FL to try to convince them he has the funds.

Brentford game won't be played this week and it isn't clear where it leaves this weekend's game unless the FL allow a youth team to be played. The Brentford game has to be played within 4 days of the end of the regular season.

Bolton vs Brentford fixture postponed

Could be played after the end of the season, and Bolton's case has been referred to the Disciplinary Committee.

Could start next season on minus points?

I really should read the last post before posting.:)

If Bassini doesn't convince the FL that he has the funds then administration is likely as their next court date is the 8th May. Then it would be a points deduction at the start of the next season. Whether there would be a further points deduction for this postponement I don't know.

If Bassini doesn't convince the FL that he has the funds then administration is likely as their next court date is the 8th May. Then it would be a points deduction at the start of the next season. Whether there would be a further points deduction for this postponement I don't know.
Send them to the conference

Potentially any points deduction could equal or exceed Bournemouth's minus 17 from a while ago?

Potentially any points deduction could equal or exceed Bournemouth's minus 17 from a while ago?

It would be 12 points based on administration but I don't know what they'd get for the Brentford situation.

Back
Top Bottom