Blind Loyalty

Scotchegg

With only 5 days until the team walks out at Sunderland, even I can understand why so many are frustrated with our progress this summer. But what I can't understand is those who talk about throwing in their season tickets, or some of the anger that plays out on social media. On Saturday I saw someone on twitter calling Tiger's wife a c***! We have the bazzer thread about our "foreign contingent" and many telling Tiger and co. to f*** off. We even had those who boo'd our board members at the end of last season! Now I know that I might be the Positive Fairy in some eyes, but I really think others need to get a bloody grip of themselves.

I started watching football in the early 80's as a kid. I was spat on by away fans at my first game, saw fans getting kicked in the head after fighting at my second game, and spent most of the 80's caged in and treated like an animal because it was football.

We had the successes of the 80's, Milk Cup final and top flight football. But we also had the Thames Valley Royals and the fire sales at the end of the decade when Maxwell got bored of spending other people's money. The 90's had their ups and downs on and off the pitch. 96 and Massey hanging off Wycombes crossbar was amazing, but there were also so awful sides and the slippery slope started before we left the Manor.

The Kassam should have been our new hope, but saw some of the worst football I have seen before we inevitably dropped out the league. Bizarrely the conference gave us some of the best days at the Kassam. Friday night games, taking 70% of the fans away to little grounds in the middle of nowhere. But the novelty wore off when these little teams started beating us. Wilder, for all his faults, probably saved the club with the promotion, but even then we tried our very best to screw that up!

League 2 also had its moments. For all the highlights of our promotion season, there were also some pretty unforgettable moments playing boring football. I remember going 2 nil down after 20 minutes in one game and about 40 lads got up and left from the North stand! I thought that no one should leave that early, but then spent the rest of the game wishing I had as even the away team gave up knowing that it was the safest result they'd get all season.

League 1 has seen a solid start from MApp, a truly bizarre 6 months from Pep and the start of some kind of recovery from KR. We've only ever sold a handful of players from more than £1m in our history. Roofe, O'Dowda, Johnson and likely Whyte will all have gone for way beyond that figure in the last few years. We might not be where we want to be, but there's no denying that we have finding, developing and selling some really good players. In addition we've had the likes of Lundstrum, Ledson and now Brannagan, Dickie and Sykes. The youth set up in bringing results that we haven't seen since the days of Joey and Chrissie in the 90's, and if rumours are to be believed we may one day get a solution to the stadium problem that is strangling the clubs development.

So over nearly 40 years, there have been many reasons on and off the pitch not to support Oxford. Plenty of games I wish I hadn't gone to, players who shouldn't have worn the shirt, managers who were hopeless and owners with differing agendas. But not once have I considered giving up on this club, not going to games or not giving the team my full support for 90 minutes. I'll back the manager who's giving it his all, and I'll back the owner until it becomes clear that they're damaging the club and I really don't think that's the case with Tiger.

So whilst I respect the concerns that others have, my loyalty is to the club and everything else is secondary. I appreciate others will label this as blind loyalty, but is that the whole point of supporting a mid table league 1 side? And in 5 days time we'll head to Sunderland expecting nothing but a win with goals from an unknown 14 year old and Sam Long as a makeshift centre forward!!! Bring it on!!!

Even I’m beginning to think you’re employed by the club ?

No matter what happens this week, I’m sure I’ll wake up Saturday morning with a little buzz of excitement that footballs back. Course I’ll probably feeling a lot different by 5 o’clock..

Frankly, I'd be amazed if a single person handed in their season-ticket; it's all hot air and bluster.

I don't think I've seen a single person criticise the club they support. They criticise the owner of the club, they criticise the manager of the club, hell even the ticket-office staff come in for it sometimes.

It's important to not mistake a lack of loyalty with criticism of those that steer the ship. If a supporter is happy with the current stewardship, great, happy for them. That doesn't mean that those who do criticise are being disloyal in any way. To imply that is a cheap shot.

Blind loyalty to the institution is the only way one can truly support a football team but that does not extend itself to the transient population that own, manage, work or play for it. They're in the wrong industry if they expect that.

Positivity is fine. Acting like a prize bellend while constantly attacking people with a different viewpoint, patrolling the forum like you’re an officer of the law and rewriting history you have absolutely no knowledge of, all under the cloak of anonymity, means you deserve every slap, dig and jibe you get.

I firmly subscribe to the notion of, “We’re all fans here, we’re just different people with different personalities and different outlooks”. What I’m not up for is people giving it the big one who are completely incapable of being fair, reasonable and impartial, and who play the man rather than the ball while backing themselves into a corner. I don’t think people like that deserve anything fair or measured when they aren’t willing to be the same.

At least I assume we’re talking about ‘ignored member’ here.

Positivity is fine. Acting like a prize bellend while constantly attacking people with a different viewpoint, patrolling the forum like you’re an officer of the law and rewriting history you have absolutely no knowledge of, all under the cloak of anonymity, means you deserve every slap, dig and jibe you get.

I firmly subscribe to the notion of, “We’re all fans here, we’re just different people with different personalities and different outlooks”. What I’m not up for is people giving it the big one who are completely incapable of being fair, reasonable and impartial, and who play the man rather than the ball while backing themselves into a corner. I don’t think people like that deserve anything fair or measured when they aren’t willing to be the same.

You might benefit from googling the meaning of the word "ignored".

Give it a rest

There are times I see fans reactions at games, Rad Ox, etc, and to my detriment at times, I can't help but laugh at it and point out the stupidity of it on here. Some of it, in abstract is funny - seeing a man in his 30s throw a tantrum because of misplaced shot is a good example - but it's rather extreme to react that way.

I don't think anyone is happy with the signings, and lack thereof, but some of the reactions I've seen require perspective on life, or a moments thought before posting. And in some respects, naive to how football works.

People that say we are going down are perhaps the most miserable sods in all of this. Give over

I had a particularly unpleasant experience on the train back from Marylebone, Saturday before last (day of the QPR game). Some bloke (I'd estimate in his 50's) got into our carriage at Wycombe. Within minutes began talking very loudly on his mobile (annoying enough in its own right). From his conversation it was plain that he was a "passionate" OUFC fan and that not only was he rather annoyed at the QPR result, but he was also annoyed at how pre-season and our transfer business in general had gone. From the conversation, I could also glean that he was speaking to his brother who happened to be a QPR fan and was "giving it the big one" and winding him up. He then proceeded at the top of his voice to tell his brother that he was a complete f#cking c#nt and that he would kick his f#cking head in the next time he saw him...more expletives at full volume followed before he ended the call. He then called all his mates to tell them what had just happened, using the same language, talking about seeing QPR's firm in Wycombe etc, wanting it to get tasty etc etc (yawn, yawn)........for the rest of the journey.

AS a result there were plenty of frightened and upset children on that train, including my own because of the aggression on display. The bloke was a complete bellend and a complete embarrassment to OUFC. His attitude, lack of self awareness or self control simply played into the stereotypical view that many people have of a significant proportion of football supporters - the fact that he had so clearly attached himself to the club I support was depressing.

Why am I relaying this? I was embarrassed to witness that from an Oxford "supporter", I was ashamed that anyone who identifies with our club thinks it was OK to behave like that and I was angry that no thought or consideration was given to anyone else (particularly the several young children) and there was no attempt to temper the behaviour on display. It was also a reminder of how letting your passion and emotions get the better of you when it comes to football can make you look like an utter dick as well as tarnishing the good name of our club...which is kind of the point of this thread.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people like that all over the place. A complete lack of awareness of what my old dad would have called 'manners'. What is OK when you are talking to your mates (or your brother!) is not the same as when you are out in public. A pity that one of these idiots is one of our supporters. If someone swore in front of *his* children, he would of course be outraged!

Last edited:
Sadly @Sheik djibouti we've all seen those who have no control over their emotions and it makes for a pretty depressing experience.

My step daughter is 11 this week and I take her to games as often as possible. When doing a year book for leaving primary school she stated that the thing she likes doing the most is going to watch Oxford United. We sit in the SSL because she like to chat with the players around the dug out before the game. Karl Robinson, for whatever faults he may have, frequently comes over and talks to her before games. However, even in this fairly sterile environment she has to put up with behaviour which I wouldn't subject her to in any other activity. We've had an old man who's every second word appeared to be c**t and only stopped swearing to spit god knows what on the floor! We've also heard racist and homophobic language and those who haven't a good word to say about anything! She understands that what happens in football grounds doesn't mirror normal life and I try not to be overly protective. But why do people feel that this behaviour is acceptable? Why do people feel it appropriate to call Mrs Tiger a c**t? Why do people who pride themselves in ignoring me think it's right to call me a bellend?

We can all care, we can all show passion, and christ, we can all get pretty pissed off with things right now. But have a little self respect, a lot of self control, a big chunk of hope, and most importantly enjoy it!

People that say we are going down are perhaps the most miserable sods in all of this. Give over

Hi @Gary Baldi miserable sod here. Just saying based on what I’ve seen preseason and I’ve been to nearly every game. Right now, now now. We are going down!

Our defence looks awful and lacking any sort of leadership. Plus one injury to Dickie and and we’re screwed.
Midfield looks good and solid centrally and has some depth and options. But out wide we have Fosu who looks okay but he’s no Whyte so far. And hall who hasn’t kicked a ball in anger in a season.
Then up front we’ll there we’re as weak as bambi on ice!

So call me miserable but all the evidence point to me being more righter than you.

That second paragraph describes you so well and yet you dont even see it.

I go to football matches to enjoy a few beers with mates and to let out some steam that I can't do in any other environment. If we win then it's a bonus but I always go to the game in the hope of a win rather than expect it. I am quite happy bobbing about league 1 for a few years. Yes a play off push would be nice, even a good cup run every now and then would be nice but over all they are every now and then.
You don't support a lower league team expecting to tear up a division and expecting to get promoted. You support it because you have a love of that club. The bad times make the good times feel so much better.
We were spoilt under MApp but just like when we got back in the football league our fans, for some reason want instant success straight away. Football in the lower leagues isn't like that.
Now is the time to enjoy watching the youth players coming through into the first team. Enjoy going to places like Ipswich, Sunderland and Bolton and enjoy the ride because if football was so straight forward and we won every single week, I tell you what, it wouldn't half be boring!

Back
Top Bottom