Blackpool

I thought that under the rules they have to get a points deduction?
Apparantly not, according to Shaun Harvey.
"The Seasiders are still under threat of a 12-point deduction for going into receivership, but EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey has already stated that the punishment is not necessarily mandatory."

Apparantly not, according to Shaun Harvey.
"The Seasiders are still under threat of a 12-point deduction for going into receivership, but EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey has already stated that the punishment is not necessarily mandatory."
Wow.
Well those clubs who have had the deduction before will be watching this decision with interest.

They’ve done us a favour tonight by taking three points off Accrington Stanley.

so should find out today if they get points deduction. harsh for their fans but would help us out with another team drawn into the battle

Decision on points deduction has been delayed, EFL kicking the can down the road..........

Decision on points deduction has been delayed, EFL kicking the can down the road..........
Tbh that is outrageous.
The rule normally is that there is a points deduction.
Are they waiting to see if Blackpool are free of relegation before making the decision?
?

Tbh that is outrageous.
Are they waiting to see if Blackpool are free of relegation before making the decision?
?
Indeed. Since the point sanction rules were introduced there have been over 20 administrations involving league clubs (PL & EFL).
Every one has resulted in a points deduction.
If Blackpool get away with this there will be an outcry from other clubs and Shaun Harvey will have a lot of questions to answer in his final weeks.

Tbh that is outrageous.
?

Wasn't there a similar delayed decision re points deduction with QPR a few years ago? They were pushing for promotion and the decision was deferred until almost the end of the season. Of is my memory just playing tricks with me?

Indeed. Since the point sanction rules were introduced there have been over 20 administrations involving league clubs (PL & EFL).
Every one has resulted in a points deduction.
If Blackpool get away with this there will be an outcry from other clubs and Shaun Harvey will have a lot of questions to answer in his final weeks.

Shaun Harvey making bonkers, on the hoof, ill conceived ideas up as he goes on?!

That’s a first ...

If you were trying to play devil's advocate and justify the EFL's decision here.....

…..my understanding is that the 12 point penalty is usually applied as a result of insolvency. Basically the club has been so badly run that they can't pay their bills (and therefore has essentially been cheating by spending more than they can afford).

In Blackpool's case, it seems as if the Receivers were appointed because Blackpool's owner was simply refusing to pay his bill to Belokon. Not because the club was insolvent.

Therefore if the appointment of the receivers succeeds in securing payment of the debt, and removal of the owner....and then a review of the finances shows that Blackpool are in fact OK financially and have not been overspending....then perhaps the club aren't deserving of a points penalty?
Meanwhile if the review shows that they are indeed insolvent, then I'm sure the 12 point deduction will follow.

So Blackpool have got away with it.
I think the EFL will regret this decision, the first league club to avoid a points deduction after going in to administration. This is going to lead to all sorts of appeals and legal action in future.

So Blackpool have got away with it.
I think the EFL will regret this decision, the first league club to avoid a points deduction after going in to administration. This is going to lead to all sorts of appeals and legal action in future.
Agree.
I think that until now it has been a black and white case?
As you suggest this leaves it open to legal action for the next one.

Back
Top Bottom