International News Black Lives Matter

meanwhile this is what a Black woman MP has had to face

I continue to receive a torrent of horrendous abuse on an almost daily basis and it is sadly on the rise. Especially so when speaking out on issues such as the death of George Floyd and Black Lives Matter it has increased exponentially.

There have been many deeply concerning incidents over the years, some I have talked about publicly before and others I haven’t.

Last year a solid granite rock was thrown through my high street office window, leaving a gaping hole. On another occasion, my staff arrived at work one morning to find the entire shop front had been smashed in.

We’ve had someone arrested for making a bomb threat, with a member of my team providing a witness statement. Another woman was also arrested and went to court for threatening to ‘smash the office up’.
I was physically assaulted on the underground by a woman I had met at my office surgery and had been trying to help find a home. Travelling alone from Parliament, often late at night on quiet tube carriages, is really scary. I often try to disguise my appearance through fear of being recognised. The person who attacked me went to prison and I would like to thank the members of the public that came to my aid that day.

A member of my team has been verbally threatened with violence, for which the person was again arrested. Another, when standing at the door of my office last year, was told ‘I will smash your head in’ by a stranger. This was reported to the police too.

One of the worst incidents occurred when I was in the office and an aggressive man armed with a golf club knocked on the door wanting to ‘speak’ to me. A member of my staff – not realising what the man was carrying – answered the door and soon became engaged in a physical tussle with him to protect me and remove him from the office.

A staff member was so traumatised by one violent incident that he bought a stab vest to wear discreetly under his clothes during my advice surgery. Thinking back, that is the moment that I probably should have closed the office. But I tried to keep it open for as long as I could, for my constituents.

And is that because she is A: An MP B: A Woman or C: Black ?
Many MP`s attract the ire of their constituents irrespective of gender or race and more because of their chosen political allegiance.
From Labour MP`s like jo Cox mudered by a right wing nut job, Stephen Timms being stabbed by radicalised religious not jobs through to many others who are abused by "us-the public".
Old article but sadly it is not uncommon........

Any comedians you do like?

I watched a Chelsea Peretti comedy special a while back on Netflix which was brilliant. If it's still there give that a go. Otherwise Stewart Lee, old Frankie Boyle, Mickey Flanagan, very occasionally Russell Brand.

Charlie Brooker used to be quite good too.

And is that because she is A: An MP B: A Woman or C: Black ?
Many MP`s attract the ire of their constituents irrespective of gender or race and more because of their chosen political allegiance.
From Labour MP`s like jo Cox mudered by a right wing nut job, Stephen Timms being stabbed by radicalised religious not jobs through to many others who are abused by "us-the public".
Old article but sadly it is not uncommon........
I would imagine probably all three. Diane Abbott as we know received about half of all the abuse MP's received on social media (and there is usually a torrent of abuse when her name is mentioned here.

Jo Cox was murdered by someone from the extreme right- (I don't think they were considered to be of unsound mind when sentenced)

It's clearly worrying when people make physical threats to MPs.

I would imagine probably all three. Diane Abbott as we know received about half of all the abuse MP's received on social media (and there is usually a torrent of abuse when her name is mentioned here.

Jo Cox was murdered by someone from the extreme right- (I don't think they were considered to be of unsound mind when sentenced)

It's clearly worrying when people make physical threats to MPs.

Sadly it seems par for the course irrespective of race or gender.
Whilst I may vehemently disagree with our local MP`s political views they are there on merit voted for by the majority of local people. Have to respect that.
Diane Abbott never comes across as either articulate or remotely intelligent, much like Boris, that just makes me wonder how folk get to these positions or is it just "post turtle" syndrome?

I'm just here for Word Association. Is there football chat too?

Well that’s where you’re wrong. I do believe you’ve been found out.

I’ve just checked my extensive box filing system at home on all members of this obscure Internet forum ( especially those that dare to hold a different view to me) and you have definitely posted in the matches AND players section on more than one occasion.

Well Rowling was critical of the phrase "people who menstruate"- because she thought it should be replaced by "women". Lot's of women don't menstruate - some people who identify as men do.

I'm with @ZeroTheHero- it's not really our business. I'd also agree with @werthersoriginal that it can be a long and difficult journey and it's not something that anyone does lightly.
The word used, is menstruate. Shouldn't it be womenstruate?

Sadly it seems par for the course irrespective of race or gender.
Whilst I may vehemently disagree with our local MP`s political views they are there on merit voted for by the majority of local people. Have to respect that.
Diane Abbott never comes across as either articulate or remotely intelligent, much like Boris, that just makes me wonder how folk get to these positions or is it just "post turtle" syndrome?
So in response to a discussion about threats to Mp’s you attack Diane Abbott. She made an error calculating- the kind which white Male MP’s make all the time and retain their careers.

Thank goodness she didn’t do anything criminal-otherwise she’d be completely finished.

As she herself signed up to.................

"The restriction of debate, whether by a repressive government or an intolerant society, invariably hurts those who lack power and makes everyone less capable of democratic participation. The way to defeat bad ideas is by exposure, argument, and persuasion, not by trying to silence or wish them away. "

And that is worth listening too irrespective of the signatories political leanings.

Agree.

The right to openly discuss ideas must be defended.

So in response to a discussion about threats to Mp’s you attack Diane Abbott. She made an error calculating- the kind which white Male MP’s make all the time and retain their careers.

Thank goodness she didn’t do anything criminal-otherwise she’d be completely finished.

Attack? No I gave my opinion on her. No more no less.
I have seen numerous interviews where she comes across, to me, as inarticulate and unintelligent especially when bench marked against other shadow or government ministers.
Having an opinion is not an "attack".
Jeez who made you the thought police?

You have any views on our huge game tomorrow?

"Not having" is slightly different to "not biologically possible".
I know you struggle with some things but men do not have periods even if they choose to be a "woman" and yes that is inverted comma`s for a reason.
I am transgender. I don't "choose" to be a woman, and it is proven by medical science it's how i was born and it's how i will die.

I am transgender. I don't "choose" to be a woman, and it is proven by medical science it's how i was born and it's how i will die.
Interesting. Which changing rooms did you use at school? Just asking for a fiend.

At the risk of sounding insensitive, for which I will apologise in advance, you believe you are a woman in the physical body of a man.
You were born male but chose to select a different gender which is fine.
Getting back on topic, just for @YellowTaxi, the practicalities of having a period are not happening.

Back
Top Bottom