International News Black Lives Matter

Cancel culture. The below is a great example.

JK Rowling has been constantly harassed because she doesn't have the woke view on Transgender rights and it all started over a single liking of a Tweet. Just one single Tweet...! Activitists have gone after her personally, when it didn't work, they started on her book publisher and production company. There is no depth to what activists will do to de-platform her and there are no signs of it stopping.

Further, Noam Chomsky, for supporting the Cancel Culture letter, has received heavy criticism and attempts to de-platform him. Noam Chomsky... Let alone Laurence Fox and the aftermath of his Question Time appearance. Or other celebs retracting support for the letter when they saw how badly it went down.

And they are but 4 examples.

It's people like you who are perpetually outraged about everything and struggle to accept other people have different opinions or viewpoints, and just attack, attack, attack until you get what you want.
JK Rowling is stridently and articulately left wing. I’m surprised you’re concerned about her.

Lots of women don’t have periods, do they?

"Not having" is slightly different to "not biologically possible".
I know you struggle with some things but men do not have periods even if they choose to be a "woman" and yes that is inverted comma`s for a reason.

JK Rowling is stridently and articulately left wing. I’m surprised you’re concerned about her.

As she herself signed up to.................

"The restriction of debate, whether by a repressive government or an intolerant society, invariably hurts those who lack power and makes everyone less capable of democratic participation. The way to defeat bad ideas is by exposure, argument, and persuasion, not by trying to silence or wish them away. "

And that is worth listening too irrespective of the signatories political leanings.

As she herself signed up to.................

"The restriction of debate, whether by a repressive government or an intolerant society, invariably hurts those who lack power and makes everyone less capable of democratic participation. The way to defeat bad ideas is by exposure, argument, and persuasion, not by trying to silence or wish them away. "

And that is worth listening too irrespective of the signatories political leanings.
The trans vs feminist argument is incredibly toxic and complicated. I’m staying out of it. I do actually know a trans person who now presents as a woman but is still a total computer geek.

The trans vs feminist argument is incredibly toxic and complicated. I’m staying out of it. I do actually know a trans person who now presents as a woman but is still a total computer geek.

I don't know if this is set up for a whoosh, but is "computer geek" gender specific?

I don't know if this is set up for a whoosh, but is "computer geek" gender specific?
Well, I mean partly that she has absolutely not changed in character or interests, just gender, and also that she was very stereotypically male in that geeky way that’s quite uncommon in women. Hopefully she’s happier now, it’s been a really long struggle and our workplace didn’t handle it well.

Am I the only one who doesn't really care what other people decide to call themselves, how they decide to live, what clothes they wear, what colour they are or how they 'identify'? As long as they don't hurt anyone else by doing so (and I don't mean the sensibilities of bigots) they can just get on with it as far as I am concerned. I'm not sure I always understand it all (some of it seems to be a symptom of this 'look at me' social media generation sometimes), but then it's not up to me or IMO anyone else.

Not said that all females have periods, but that only women do.
Well Rowling was critical of the phrase "people who menstruate"- because she thought it should be replaced by "women". Lot's of women don't menstruate - some people who identify as men do.

I'm with @ZeroTheHero- it's not really our business. I'd also agree with @werthersoriginal that it can be a long and difficult journey and it's not something that anyone does lightly.

Am I the only one who doesn't really care what other people decide to call themselves, how they decide to live, what clothes they wear, what colour they are or how they 'identify'? As long as they don't hurt anyone else by doing so (and I don't mean the sensibilities of bigots) they can just get on with it as far as I am concerned. I'm not sure I always understand it all (some of it seems to be a symptom of this 'look at me' social media generation sometimes), but then it's not up to me or IMO anyone else.
I agree. Too much energy is wasted in worrying about who other people fall in love with, how they identify, what God (if any) they believe in, what they eat, what they wear, and loads of other things that really shouldn't matter.

That said, I also believe that there is a difference between judging people and using humour as long as it isn't used to cover hatred. The risk is that everything becomes too sterile and boring. Life should be about accepting people for who they are, and take the P**s out of them just the same.

I agree. Too much energy is wasted in worrying about who other people fall in love with, how they identify, what God (if any) they believe in, what they eat, what they wear, and loads of other things that really shouldn't matter.

That said, I also believe that there is a difference between judging people and using humour as long as it isn't used to cover hatred. The risk is that everything becomes too sterile and boring. Life should be about accepting people for who they are, and take the P**s out of them just the same.

Too late, it already started.

Now we’re just left with Mrs Browns Boys, Nish Kumar and Rob Beckett.

Too late, it already started.

Now we’re just left with Mrs Browns Boys, Nish Kumar and Rob Beckett.

See also Jack Whitehall, Michael MacIntyre, Jo Brand, Sarah Millican, that Mobeen guy, Jimmy Carr, Rangesh Ranganathan, Katherine Ryan, Not Going Out, Have I Got News for You, QI, Live at the Apollo - the list goes on.

Don’t worry -you can still get Bernard Manning and Roy Chubby Brown on DVD

You can have a watch party.

It does seem some people / groups of people enjoy being 'outraged'. Gives them something to focus on I suppose.

Ironically, others are outraged by those who are themselves outraged. What a tolerant world we live in, although I can't see any reason to be tolerant of bigots of any kind, so I guess I'm just 'outraged of Louth' and as guilty as anybody else.

I am outraged on behalf of the people who are outraged by the people who are outraged on behalf of other people.?

Back
Top Bottom