International News Black Lives Matter

I wonder if those behind the radio station and the billboards, and the listeners of White Pride Radio believe black lives matter as much as white lives? Is their thinking egalitarian, i.e. proud to be white but have absolutely nothing against those equally lovely black people.

I believe White Pride Radio has strong affiliation to the KKK (which is still going strong in parts of the US south).

Think that should tell you all you need to know on that score!

I’m bored of BLM to me all lives matter it doesn’t matter if you’re black white yellow or green your life is important i personally think the BLM movement is racist why are black lives more important than yellow or green or white there not there all important ?

I don't think BLM would disagree that all lives matter, but are seeking to highlight the fact that if you are black you tend to get the shitty end of the stick based purely on your skin colour. Perhaps the slogan/title of the movement may seem too confrontational, but I guess the founders(?) thought that was the only way to be heard? I have no particular axe to grind in this debate by the way and am certainly not aware of all the issues involved.

I don't think BLM would disagree that all lives matter, but are seeking to highlight the fact that if you are black you tend to get the shitty end of the stick based purely on your skin colour. Perhaps the slogan/title of the movement may seem too confrontational, but I guess the founders(?) thought that was the only way to be heard? I have no particular axe to grind in this debate by the way and am certainly not aware of all the issues involved.
I don’t have any axe to grind I also think the killing of George Floyd was needless but I do think it’s to much we all know that racism is a problem but sometimes people get treated how they act if you act like scum (and I definitely include white people then you deserve to get treated like that BUT I don’t agree with trying to erase history by removing statuse and things like that if those people weren’t in history we wouldn’t have today

I don’t have any axe to grind I also think the killing of George Floyd was needless but I do think it’s to much we all know that racism is a problem but sometimes people get treated how they act if you act like scum (and I definitely include white people then you deserve to get treated like that BUT I don’t agree with trying to erase history by removing statuse and things like that if those people weren’t in history we wouldn’t have today
Fair thoughts. Don't let your thinking be influenced by Cassox though (see posts above) who likes to trot out nonsense like 'black people can't be racist'. His own Intolerance towards people who are different to him is well known to regular readers.

simple.....black people can't be racist.....everyone knows that silly
Nothing changes with you does it. You have no idea of the meaning of the word racist, instead you cling on to old ideologies and stereotypical definitions. The inadequacy, which underpins your thinly veiled hatred of difference, is clear for everyone to see. You can read, so read and educate yourself or STFU. You have opinions, but conveniently ignore facts. Get some....

Nothing changes with you does it. You have no idea of the meaning of the word racist, instead you cling on to old ideologies and stereotypical definitions. The inadequacy, which underpins your thinly veiled hatred of difference, is clear for everyone to see. You can read, so read and educate yourself or STFU. You have opinions, but conveniently ignore facts. Get some....
ooooooooo who shook your pot of lentils????

Attachments

• tr.png
    tr.png
    174.2 KB · Views: 9
I too think all lives matter: the fact that at least five black people appear to have decided to hang themselves doesn't bother me,

Not do the many ways that black lives haven't mattered enough in the past.

In fact anyone wishing to point out that out is clearly a racist.

I'd far rather shout at them than reflect on the pain and suffering that has been caused.

I guess they could have called it Black Lives Matter Too (BLMT), but I guess that sounds a little too similar to one of my favourite sandwich fillings.

I guess they could have called it Black Lives Matter Too (BLMT), but I guess that sounds a little too similar to one of my favourite sandwich fillings.
Or you could call it something else like Urgent Society Equality Reform (or something more woke) and remove race from it entirely? It would make it more inclusive and easier to branch out into other areas for them.

True ...... this BLM movement want to erase history BUT if you erase history you can’t have a future It’s all wrong imo
It's not Back to the Future!!!

If we ripped down every statue, burnt every book, then what would actually change for tomorrow? Yes we have a history that has good and bad, and there are things to celebrate and things to forget. But 90 percent of those getting angry would have had absolutely no idea who some of these historical figures were a couple of weeks ago, so the level of outrage is slightly farcical.

If we ripped down every statue, burnt every book, then what would actually change for tomorrow? Yes we have a history that has good and bad, and there are things to celebrate and things to forget. But 90 percent of those getting angry would have had absolutely no idea who some of these historical figures were a couple of weeks ago, so the level of outrage is slightly farcical.

Small thing but you shouldn't forget bad history but rather try and learn from it.

This applies to both sides of the debate.

I'm really struggling with the claim that BLM want to 'erase history'

As has been said, many people walking past some of these statues would have had no idea who the people were or what they had done. So for them, there was *no* history attached to them.

Surely, by pointing out exactly what the history *is* BLM and other people are posing the question of whether these statues feature people suitable for public recognition and approval.

For example, not being a Bristolian I didn't really have any idea who that bloke was. But once I *knew* his history then it seemed much more appropriate that the statue was in a museum as *part of history* than up in public.

I'm really struggling with the claim that BLM want to 'erase history'

As has been said, many people walking past some of these statues would have had no idea who the people were or what they had done. So for them, there was *no* history attached to them.

Surely, by pointing out exactly what the history *is* BLM and other people are posing the question of whether these statues feature people suitable for public recognition and approval.

For example, not being a Bristolian I didn't really have any idea who that bloke was. But once I *knew* his history then it seemed much more appropriate that the statue was in a museum as *part of history* than up in public.

My issue with your last point is that history shouldn't always be in museums. It is good to have that history in the community (and on display for all to see) and statues can be a good place for this with prominent plaques/Info boards with the history (good and bad with no softening) on them. The Local Authorities screwed this up in Bristol by trying to please both sides about Colston. They should have made a decision going with the warts and all (ie. hardhitting) story of his wealth as well as what he did for Bristol. The LA should have led and if it upset some of those leading the various campaigns then tough.

I say this as how many of our population actually go to museums so will see such things? And museums only have so much capacity and this is an important part of our history, so something that is in the community can actually reach more people and the lessons spread wider in this case and in general.

Where do you stop then?
Mrs T... didn`t treat the miners very well?
Slave traders............ best rename Yale then Yanks!
Southern American Generals..... well they backed the "losers"?
American Frontiersmen that slaughtered indigenous peoples?
Any medieval King or Bishop? Mostly fanatical zealots who found ways to torture and kill folk they didn`t agree with.
Cromwell- religious fundamentalist, zealot, mass murderer? Oh....and father of the modern system.
Boudicca? Happily levelled Colchester & London and committed mass murder based on race?
Stonehenge? Probably built by an enslaved populace.

And so it goes on....... almost all unacceptable by today`s standards.......... which is exactly why we have today`s standards!

I don't understand how difficult it is to distinguish between a statue, which has the sole purpose of celebrating the life of an individual, and a building. Yet people are still struggling with this.

No, we don't demolish structures. Yes, we review statues and remove those from public spaces that are now considered controversial.

My issue with your last point is that history shouldn't always be in museums. It is good to have that history in the community (and on display for all to see) and statues can be a good place for this with prominent plaques/Info boards with the history (good and bad with no softening) on them. The Local Authorities screwed this up in Bristol by trying to please both sides about Colston. They should have made a decision going with the warts and all (ie. hardhitting) story of his wealth as well as what he did for Bristol. The LA should have led and if it upset some of those leading the various campaigns then tough.

I say this as how many of our population actually go to museums so will see such things? And museums only have so much capacity and this is an important part of our history, so something that is in the community can actually reach more people and the lessons spread wider in this case and in general.
I don't disagree with that actually. I agree that if there had been some sort of proper plaque explaining who he was and what he did (and also mentioning that the statue was actually erected donkeys years after his death by the Victorians as some sort of example of a 'good' man!) then that would have been a different matter. History in the open air as it were. But they didn't.

Back
Top Bottom