International News Black Lives Matter

Is that not discrimination based on race?
Hence my original question. To use the age old comparator - if AP stated that they were going to capitalize 'White' and not do the same to 'black', there would be a meltdown.

A question of interest to me is - why is this considered ok? Can someone explain it - I'd like to hear the arguments not because I feel that strongly about it (albeit I think it's pandering to a vocal section of society) but AP obviously do which must be based on their perception of what a large % of people will think - so what are the cogent arguments that make this a reasonable position to take?

Hence my original question. To use the age old comparator - if AP stated that they were going to capitalize 'White' and not do the same to 'black', there would be a meltdown.

A question of interest to me is - why is this considered ok? Can someone explain it - I'd like to hear the arguments not because I feel that strongly about it (albeit I think it's pandering to a vocal section of society) but AP obviously do which must be based on their perception of what a large % of people will think - so what are the cogent arguments that make this a reasonable position to take?
This is an interesting one and I’ve been trying to get my head around it. Not sure I can make much sense here, but I think I can sort of see their point although it is a bit of a black-and-white decision for AP to have made (pun intended :) ).
I think their point is that Black has bigger connotations than just having black skin (in fact many black people have paler skin than many white people, so clearly it is not just a skin-tone thing.)
White is maybe a less unifying term, which can mean “not black”, “not black or Asian”, or “not black, Asian or Hispanic” etc.

Its not the same as if they had decided to capitalise Female but not male, but I’m not sure that the semantic reasons behind their decision are really worthy of actually differentiating Black from white.

So from my point of view it seems a bit unnecessary, but doesn’t trouble me because I think I can see an underlying point.

In some respects, the issue is a perfect summation of where the world has gone in the past few years. It's done to sooth a vocal and persistnet minority of Social Justice Warriors on Twitter/etc who find random niche things to get angry about. If there is a like minded person in the AP, then the wrong group of leaders will say ok for fear of the bad publicity.

Even when its grammatically questionable and such a minor thing, it's almost laughable that they think that will make things better,. It hasn't stopped kids being killed in American cities or teens being stabbed in London. And it quite racist, but if you see the lack of reaction to Professor Gopal, it's really no surprise at all.

Highfields, Leicester again.
Little Somalia turf war over drug supply........

Hey #blm ........................... unless you are scrapping over supply.

Please note all the victims and all arrested (so far) have been of BAME backgrounds.

Whilst the article is about Trump about halfway down is a video about life in Chicago...........

Well worth 14 minutes of watching to understand what the Police are up against and the kids that live there.
Strange that they suggest that taking the old gang leaders out has opened a vacuum that everyone is trying to fill.

Whilst the article is about Trump about halfway down is a video about life in Chicago...........

Well worth 14 minutes of watching to understand what the Police are up against and the kids that live there.
Strange that they suggest that taking the old gang leaders out has opened a vacuum that everyone is trying to fill.
The scale of the mess in American inner cities, like Chicago, is intricate.

They need to stop the illegal substances in a more robust way at source, invest very significantly in those inner cities to offer kids a more appropriate way out, etc. Waving placards and mob violence about does not help the innocent young kids that have been murdered since George Floyd's death.

That used to frustrate me, but now I realise it's just politics and those people just don't care enough about black lives. It's all about the presidential election

Watched an informative documentary about the Black Panthers on PBS (Channel 91 has had some good stuff on over lockdown). My assumptions about the Panthers had been pretty negative but this was well-made and thought-provoking for me. Provided some decent context about issues like BLM organisation, apparent leadership, apparent agendas, threat to other groups (or lack of).

Yeah that is really pretty racist @mods

He said " Maybe they should have put a gold chain around the dogs neck, a MFB parked nearby and some scantily clad women dancing under a money shower. Would've been ok then "

Proper "vile racism"......................... ?

Found it....................... @Eaststandboy gimme a Mods job!
@werthersoriginal @Gary Baldi ......................

The body cam footage of the George Floyd arrest finally leaked. It doesn't provide the Police a get out clause to justify his death in any way at all, but what it does show is a more mixed scene than some outlets portrayed.

I wasn't the only one to notice that Floyd seemed to be very high on something and his demeanour would have made many people suspicious while he was sat in his car, and his judgement impaired severly. He failed to listen to the initial instructions and that point, things escalated further - the Police drawing a gun on him early was very, very stupid and needless. One officer tried to compromise getting him in the Police car, but Floyd's state meant he didn't listen and stopped co-operating There is still absolutely no excuse for Chauvin's actions, but I can certainly see how it got where it did. De-escalation was needed on both sides, but more from the Police's side.

One lesson for anyone is don't take fentanyl as an illegal high, and high contents of it. It will do you no good in the long term, especially having heart disease and then COVID. It's nasty stuff.

I'm not sure the Murder charge will stick once it gets to court. If Chauvin goes free, blame the AG, not the broken court system/systemic racism for the lack of prosecution. He oversold it and a smarter AG would have gone for less knowing he'd be able to get a prosecution.

What a mess.

As an aside. Some people are quite naive on what people will say and do when being arrested. It's a nice quality to have, but I am sure if you have heard that same patter tens of times a week, the impact reduces somewhat.

Did you notice how reluctant he was to get out of the car. Had he done as he was told by officers to get out of the car, he could of been alive and the incident involving his death wouldn’t of happened.

The whole thing is a mess, and the press keep throwing it down ya throat. Bored of the crap now!

Did you notice how reluctant he was to get out of the car. Had he done as he was told by officers to get out of the car, he could of been alive and the incident involving his death wouldn’t of happened.

The whole thing is a mess, and the press keep throwing it down ya throat. Bored of the crap now!
Yeah, not putting his hands on the steering wheel and then moving them around was a big red flag. He didn't listen - in part to history with Police and part to being so high. Both sides had to de-escalate, but Floyd's action pushed the snowball down the hill.

I'm not the only one who watched and genuinely wondered with that much Fentanyl in his body, the stress he was under and poor health, that he was already having a heart attack way before being put on the ground and what he said beforehand makes a lot more sense. If he had been less high (or not high), would he have been able to communicate more?

I am bored of it too. He needlessly died and there is no way around that, but I'm over the hysteria.

Yeah, not putting his hands on the steering wheel and then moving them around was a big red flag. He didn't listen - in part to history with Police and part to being so high. Both sides had to de-escalate, but Floyd's action pushed the snowball down the hill.

I'm not the only one who watched and genuinely wondered with that much Fentanyl in his body, the stress he was under and poor health, that he was already having a heart attack way before being put on the ground and what he said beforehand makes a lot more sense. If he had been less high (or not high), would he have been able to communicate more?

I am bored of it too. He needlessly died and there is no way around that, but I'm over the hysteria.

Might have been mentioned but I also noted the part where he said he can't go into the police car because he's claustrophobic. They offered to sit with him and open the windows for him. He was offered help at all turns before they had to use force. Also at the beginning his hands were clearly not visible at times which is just such a no no in the US. Hence the gun being drawn. And to think this lunatic is now being graffiti'd all over London and Manchester as some sort of hero.

When the acquittal of the police officer comes, we can look forward to more international rioting and destruction.

They knelt on his neck for 8 and a half minutes.

There is no valid argument that says, "if only he complied, he might have survived."

Police should understand what constitutes lethal force and the proper instances in which to use it. There is a difference between being uncooperative and being dangerous.

Once he's dead on the street he's been charged, tried and executed on the say-so of some officers, not through the justice system. And that can't be seen as okay.

You wouldn't think it was okay if it was, for example, your son who was deemed 'uncooperative' due to having a few too many beers on a night out. If he had a knee on his neck for 8 minutes and died from it, I doubt you would be saying "whelp, he should have done what he was told, it's his own fault."

And to think this lunatic is now being graffiti'd all over London and Manchester as some sort of hero.
When the acquittal of the police officer comes, we can look forward to more international rioting and destruction.

He's not hailed as a hero, but as a symbol and example of things that shouldn't be glossed over.

Sorry you guys are bored by it. Hopefully at some point these folks will settle down and accept their place in the status quo for you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom