International News Black Lives Matter

Why is it every time this thread comes back to the top it is because of someone, for want of a better word, belittling, a cause that has the aim of treating everyone the same, and with respect...

Can anyone enlighten me to what Greg Clark said that was so monsterous????

Outrageous. My friend of middle Eastern origin (definitely not white British) used that phrase the other day to describe non white British. I shall be demanding his resignation wearing my best outraged hat. Technically peaking coloured is wrong anyway because from a physics perspective black is an absence of colour and white is all the colours.

Bame is next on the list of things to ban apparently

On a serious note how would you describe someone of mixed race? You certainly couldn't call them black. Some Indians have darker skin than north Africans so describing people by skin tone seems wrong. As previously stated in that discussion my black African friends/acquaintances have no interest in cricket but love football, the opposite is true for afro Carribbean friends. The educational attainment differences between those two groups is massive too. So you really cannot put them in the same group as black.

Used the word coloured to describe black players.
I think that's just the tip of the iceberg. I remember Alan Hansen using the word once - he apologised and we moved on. But Hansen was a TV Pundit, not Chairman of the FA.

Greg Clarke also went on to say that being gay was a 'lifestyle choice', young girls don't like having the ball kicked at them hard, not to mention reinforcing racial stereotypes that South Asian people tend to work in IT.

And he has previous too - In 2007 he described Institutional Racism as 'fluff'.

I'm sure he meant no harm by it, but the fact of the matter is that he is a dinosaur living in the 1970s, and is not the right person for the job.

South Asian people tend to work in IT.
Come to my office an you will see that that is disproportionately true. Go to any conference or look at any list of applications for jobs. Is it racist to report stereotypes that are true? It's why facial recognition software works so well on white and Asian people but not so well for black people. They train it on photos largely of themselves and family.

When we are born we are pink, when we are cold we are blue, when we are ill we are yellow, when we sunbath we are brown. So who has got the most colour.
so whats the problem. No matter what our colours are, or what race, we should all be treated the same.

Come to my office an you will see that that is disproportionately true. Go to any conference or look at any list of applications for jobs. Is it racist to report stereotypes that are true? It's why facial recognition software works so well on white and Asian people but not so well for black people. They train it on photos largely of themselves and family.
While statistically it may be true, he shouldn't be saying it. There are also south-Asians out there who want to be the next Harry Kane or the next Jurgen Klopp, and as head of the FA he should be encouraging that.

There is a significant lack of South Asian footballers in the game - agreed it's a meritocracy, but by saying that South Asians tend to work in IT, that does nothing to encourage them to get into football.

This is true. However we are not, and some fail to recognise that.

Incredibly broad brush statement. "We" being all black people? All Chinese people? All brown people? Or just all non-white people?

As @ttg17 said society & how it acts evolves and improves but it takes time.

You would have had a far, far less pleasant life experience in the 1970`s but now society has evolved over the 50 years I`ve been on the planet.

That is how evolution works, over time & generations not instantaneously through a protest movement.

Incredibly broad brush statement. "We" being all black people? All Chinese people? All brown people? Or just all non-white people?

As @ttg17 said society & how it acts evolves and improves but it takes time.

You would have had a far, far less pleasant life experience in the 1970`s but now society has evolved over the 50 years I`ve been on the planet.

That is how evolution works, over time & generations not instantaneously through a protest movement.
I'm struggling to see what your argument here is.

Be grateful you weren't around in the 70s because it was a lot worse?

Wait another 50 years and things will be better?

There's no point in protesting because things won't be solved over night?

That is the tenor of many of Dr. Pangloss' posts. The rich man in his castle, the poor man at his gate - their lots show such improvement he counsels them to wait.

Im over 80, so seen it all. Went into Capetown in. the 70s while serving in the navy. where it was very bad and really opened my eyes to what was going on, so we are very lucky the way we have our way of living after seeing what i saw.

I'm struggling to see what your argument here is.

Be grateful you weren't around in the 70s because it was a lot worse?

Wait another 50 years and things will be better?

There's no point in protesting because things won't be solved over night?

Yep, spot on.

People (all peoples) mindsets have to change.
Protest polarises debate and achieves little barring resentment.
I am not saying "be grateful" you weren`t around in the 70`s I`m saying how much things have changed, and will change, over time and not through protest but through well reasoned debate and, dare I say, politics.
Myself and many others of these parts can remember the terraces being a horribly hostile place and players getting relentless and genuinely hateful abuse, unless they were "ours". That has changed wholesale, society has evolved.
If you go back to the days of the Anti Nazi League they only lasted 5 years and soon realised protest was just met with resistance from the extremists on the right so they moved into politics in various forms. They evolved.
BLM as a movement will also realise the same....

Back
Top Bottom