Billy Hamilton,Shotton,Briggs etc.

saddletramp

How many games do you reckon they would miss through suspension in the current game ?
Came across this photo of Big Billy.billy-hamilton-oxford-united.jpg

I was going to say it was a time when men were men but the disco hot pants weaken the argument somewhat

I wasn't a fan at the time when Hamilton, Briggs and Shotton played for us. I was when Shotton was the manager though. There was nothing at all about his managerial 'style' that endeared me to him and the stories which emerged from the dressing about he and his assistant manager, Mark Harrison, were fairly shocking to say the least.
I think the arrogance of having players wear santa hats (whilst warming up) when Birmingham came to the Manor and ripped us to bits, said everything about the man. His career since says a lot.

He would miss games
2, 3 & 4,
6, 7, 8 & 9,
11,12,13, 14 & 15,
17,18,19, 20, 21 & 22
24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 & 30,
32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 & 39,
41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 & 49
and the next two years checkatrade trophy games........

Probably get less than 90 minutes pitch time for the whole season!

Of course, if we were to revert to the way the game was played then with today's referees in charge then most matches would end up as five a side games!!!!!:D:eek:

I wasn't a fan at the time when Hamilton, Briggs and Shotton played for us. I was when Shotton was the manager though. There was nothing at all about his managerial 'style' that endeared me to him and the stories which emerged from the dressing about he and his assistant manager, Mark Harrison, were fairly shocking to say the least.
I think the arrogance of having players wear santa hats (whilst warming up) when Birmingham came to the Manor and ripped us to bits, said everything about the man. His career since says a lot.

Be interested in any stories from that time you can repeat . I have fond memories of shotts as manager and his arrogance about taking us to the prem

And bloody hell that fa cup tie young jackson in goal windass near post header sucked in by the london rd then super kev diving in noooo vialli mike dean and lebeuf tossers.

I'm not sure that Paul Powell, Andy Scott and Joey Beauchamp would regard him as a 'real man'.

Shotton & Briggs would never play as a pair in a season these days! :D

Hamilton I would describe as "hard & fair".....he took it but gave as good as he got.

Great days when a normal bloke with a job could make it up the pyramid from non-league to League One. (y)

Back
Top Bottom