Current Player #11 Billy Bodin

I was speaking with a Preston director, when we signed Billy, and he said he'd been very unlucky with injuries while at PNE, and would be one of the first names on the team sheet (and getting a new contract) if he'd not had the injuries.

Very good player, I hope he stays.
Name dropper 🙃. Hope you’re well Eric.

Name dropper 🙃. Hope you’re well Eric.
Yes, all well thanks Tim.

You know me, always rubbing shoulders with the rich and famous..............................................................................
.....................................................................................................................................................and Directors of PNE!

So okay the stats read well when played
So why So few games
Injury prone ??

Ah in that case sign him up!

So why So few games
Injury prone ??

Brannagan has played one more game than Bodin this season.
Brannagan missed a lot of games last season.
By your logic we get rid of Brannagan?
Bodin does have injuries, but as has been said above, he would have been the first player on the teamsheet.
He has played 19 games this season despite illness, some games on the bench ( where he was fit)

Obviously, the problem with Bodin is fitness.
He wasn't fit at the beginning of the season, and then had a couple of additional knocks that kept him out; and even now he seemingly can't cope with a full 90 minutes at League One pace.

But when he's on the field, he is class. Best pure quality of touch and passing of anyone we have. Definitely worth a squad place.

Honestly, if we just replaced Hanson, Winnall, Mousinho and one of Whyte & Holland with two good fullbacks, a midfield bruiser and another quality striking option - and kept everyone else - then I think we'd be in great shape for 2022/23. Though obviously I expect we will be forced to replace some other departures as well

Brannagan has played one more game than Bodin this season.
Brannagan missed a lot of games last season.
By your logic we get rid of Brannagan?
Bodin does have injuries, but as has been said above, he would have been the first player on the teamsheet.
He has played 19 games this season despite illness, some games on the bench ( where he was fit)

Errrr.......Brannagan has played 20 more games than Bodin this season! He's started 39 of our 44 league games. Only Matty T has played more. And he played in 33 last year as well.

Don't disagree with the general sentiment, but I don't think Cam is the right comparison!

So why So few games
Injury prone ??

He did have an injury that kept him out for 5 games after the Bolton home game. Prior to that he was dropped from the squad in late September after results not going in our favour and James Henry being in the squad ahead of him. He wasn't really in Karl's plans until Henry got injured in mid January but boy has he kicked on since then.

Really enjoyed the Billy Bodin chant to what appeared to be ‘Heaven Is A Place on Earth’ yesterday.

Apologies, unaware if it’s a new one or not - but thought it was really fun! Hope it sticks around and catches on if he signs on for next year!

Great work lads!

Just a thought on Bodin as part of the upcoming squad building exercise.

I’m keen on keeping him however we have to be careful as we’re starting to assemble a 30 years + frontline. Billy Bodin is 30, Matty Taylor is 32, Sam Baldock 33 and James Henry is 32. None are over the hill yet however that leaves a lot of succession planning if it’s our desire to keep all of them for 2022-23.

If that lot are promoted, you’ll be needing to freshen that frontline up fairly soon and entirely in one go and that’s a risky thing to do. You need a few familiar faces in there.

I’m keen on keeping him however we have to be careful as we’re starting to assemble a 30 years + frontline. Billy Bodin is 30, Matty Taylor is 32, Sam Baldock 33 and James Henry is 32. None are over the hill yet however that leaves a lot of succession planning if it’s our desire to keep all of them for 2022-23.

If that lot are promoted, you’ll be needing to freshen that frontline up fairly soon and entirely in one go and that’s a risky thing to do. You need a few familiar faces in there.

Sign Danny Hylton as well. :)

Am sure we're sign half a dozen teenage wingers. Karl seems to enjoy wise forwards.

Billy Bodin signs a new 2 year deal with the U’s

FUqOcMMVIAAKlJ5

Generally happy with Bodin rejoining. He's a fine player on his day and I hope we keep him as patched up as much as we can do. I expect sparing use of him - super-sub or one start a week -style role and we may get the most out of him.

My point above stands though. We have an experienced looking frontline now and I fear that some succession planning or some younger legs are going to be needed. Looking beyond even this season, you will start to be in the realm of wanting to replace one or two of them too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom