International News Big Tech & their power....

Essexyellows

So we know "big tech" can silence/censure individuals who use their platforms.
Is it right that they feel they can apply the same to entire nations?

Smacks of taking the ball home when you don`t get picked.

There is more than one search engine, and the sooner a nation takes a stand to the big multinationals the better.

There is, and I personally make use of others.

Just frustrating that Google are so damn good at it nowadays. With some of the others it's like going back 15 years...

Agree with the second half of your sentence 100%.

This made me chuckle at Christmas time and is pertinent here too.

We claim we can live without them but since they’re so good at what they do, can we ... ?

There is more than one search engine, and the sooner a nation takes a stand to the big multinationals the better.

Indeed there is but Google et al are so much more than their front of house service.
The scale of their data gathering and trading is on a par with the financial power of a country.

Make them pay. It sickens me that these conglomerates make millions but don pay.
If they want to operate in a country, then pay your dues.

There is, and I personally make use of others.

Just frustrating that Google are so damn good at it nowadays. With some of the others it's like going back 15 years...

Agree with the second half of your sentence 100%.
I needn't ask which ones

1611336268404.png

If a tech company wants to withdraw its product from a particular region, that's their decision. They're the ones that are going to be losing the business after all.

The only instances where a private company should be legally forced to provide a service is if they have a complete monopoly on a service of vital national importance. Google certainly are not the only search engine out there (and you can argue about whether a search engine is of vital national importance......) so that caveat doesn't apply here.

Where I do come down against Big Tech is on the censorship issue, though.
If they want to pick and choose what content can be posted and what users can use their platform (outside of removing content that is actually illegal), then they are exercising editorial discretion. Which is absolutely fine, but then they should be treated the same way as newspapers and other publications, and be open to libel suits for what's on their platform.....

This made me chuckle at Christmas time and is pertinent here too.

We claim we can live without them but since they’re so good at what they do, can we ... ?
Indeed.
I try and support independent shops, breweries etc.
But amazon prime's service is absolutely fantastic. It is difficult to not use them at times.

Was thinking about the 'taking your ball home' analogy. And it's a good one - Google are threatening that, unless they get their way.

But for me the appropriate response is not to give in to them. And it's not to pass a law saying that they can't take their ball home (it is their ball after all).

The appropriate response is to say 'Screw them; but we've got this tennis ball. It's a bit s**t, but we'll play with that today and then one of us will have to remember to bring another ball in tomorrow'!

It's their ball why should they have ""to pay" to put it in the game?
That said, Global domination doesn't sit well with me, but sh1t, happens and expect all Tories to respect it

It's their ball why should they have ""to pay" to put it in the game?
That said, Global domination doesn't sit well with me, but sh1t, happens and expect all Tories to respect it

Global domination breeds complacency and doesn`t drive costs down.... until it all runs on AI. ;)

OK...... somebody explain this to me in simple terms.

Maybe @QR could help me out.

The tweet is available for anyone to see, free.
So it`s not like having the Mona Lisa or any other original artwork hanging in your dining room just for you and yours to touch and view.
Has the winning bidder won "the tweet" or just the code that says they "own" it ?

Help an old boy out someone!

So it`s not like having the Mona Lisa or any other original artwork hanging in your dining room just for you and yours to touch and view.
Has the winning bidder won "the tweet" or just the code that says they "own" it ?

Firstly, it's B*****s. But to use your analogy, there is only one Mona Lisa, but anyone can own a print. There is a piece of code attached to the original tweet which identifies the 'owner'. If you want to get more info, go onto the BBC iPlayer and find the last episode of Click, they go into this.

Some people have too much money coupled with not enough sense.

I love the way you make out you're about to be carted off to an old folks home.

You're in your mid 50's aren't you?

Try living a bit[emoji23]

I love the way you make out you're about to be carted off to an old folks home.

You're in your mid 50's aren't you?

Try living a bit[emoji23]

You don`t know do you? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

When you start knocking on the door of retirement and are past "midway" you start to feel old and making noises when you get out of chairs. :ROFLMAO: