Best XI?

ttg17

With the season kicking off in just a few days time, what is everyone’s opinion on what our strongest XI is as the squad currently stands? Not had the opportunity to see any pre season, so curious what people’s thoughts are.

Eastwood
McMahon Nelson Dickie Garbutt
Brannagan (new signing)
Hall Henry Carruthers
Smith

Eastwood
McMahon Dickie Nelson Garbutt
Brannagan Carruthers
Whyte Henry Hall
Obika

I think Ruffels, unless Mousinho is mobile enough (he is certainly experienced enough in that position). Don't think that is Carruthers' position. I still think there WILL be a new player for that position though.

Up front, who knows? Obika has had a good preseason, but Smith hasn't come here to sit on the bench and has also had a good preseason by all accounts. I suspect we might have another choice up there as well before the deadline.

Difficult to say the best XI until we have finalised the squad and seen Browne and Smith play!

Eastwood
Brannagan (new signing)
Hall Henry Carruthers
Smith
Eastwood
Brannagan (new signing)
Hall Henry Carruthers
Smith

I would say the same, but depending on who we sign as a winger (If Holmes) then I would replace him with Carruthers & put him along side Brannagan in the centre as they looked a good partnership against Crystal Palace

Eastwood
McMahon, Nelson, Dickie, Garbutt
Ruffles, Brannagan
Hall, Henry, Carruthers
Obika
Obika deserves to start right now after the pre season he has had. Whyte will be good in time but I think he is some way off starting. Over time I think we will see Browne and Smith come into the side with Ruffles and Obika dropping out and Whyte rotating with Hall and Carruthers.
Browne and Smith haven't been allowed to join us on loan for them to sit on the bench, there will of been reassurances from OUFC that they will get plenty of game time.

I still think KR will start Josh Ruffles against Barnsley. OK he's a journeyman L1 player, but he's genuinely left-footed and he's a box-to-box midfielder who knows how to score goals. And he's committed to OUFC. Remember when he and Michael Collins held us together for half a season when we got back in to L2? A lot of clubs would love to have a player like him in their squad.

Journey man? He has been with Oxford since he got released by Coventry god knows how many years ago. I’d say he is currently a 1 man club.

Ruffles was a starman early on last season when he was scoring not sure what happened after that!

He's never really had a proper run of games to fully get going. We're lucky to have him, great squad player.

I just found this out:

This weekend is the first time the club-developed player rule will be implemented. Each club have to nominate at least one player who has been registered with them for a minimum of 12 months before the end of his under-19 season on the match-day team sheet in all EFL league competitions. If a club do not name such a player, they can name only six as opposed to seven substitutes

So I guess that means Ruffles and/or Napa in the squad every week ufn

Eastwood
McMahon, Nelson, Dickie, Garbutt
Ruffles, Brannagan
Hall, Henry, Carruthers
Obika
Obika deserves to start right now after the pre season he has had. Whyte will be good in time but I think he is some way off starting. Over time I think we will see Browne and Smith come into the side with Ruffles and Obika dropping out and Whyte rotating with Hall and Carruthers.
Browne and Smith haven't been allowed to join us on loan for them to sit on the bench, there will of been reassurances from OUFC that they will get plenty of game time.
Entirely agree with this as the squad currently looks (except it's Ruffels ?)

New arrivals may change this up a bit, but I would like to think that even this 11 would hold it's own this season.

I just found this out:

This weekend is the first time the club-developed player rule will be implemented. Each club have to nominate at least one player who has been registered with them for a minimum of 12 months before the end of his under-19 season on the match-day team sheet in all EFL league competitions. If a club do not name such a player, they can name only six as opposed to seven substitutes

So I guess that means Ruffles and/or Napa in the squad every week ufn
Where'd you find this? Sound like a good idea though.

I’m excited about our strength off the bench. I think being able to introduce Browne, Smith (assuming Obika starts at least initially) Whyte (maybe, if he’s up to it) and maybe even an improving Napa off the bench will add some really important pace and dynamism late in games that we sorely lacked last year.

Eastwood
Brannagan Brown
Holmes Carruthers
Henry/Mackie
Smith

KR loves to play one up front and this year (if we sign Holmes too) we are full of pace out wide. Smith is going to have a field day. The 11/10 William Hill to finish top half looks way to big. Monster bet coming. 3-1+ Looks too big on day one too v Barnsley

Impact players Whyte/Hall/Obika/Derry

The three we had enquiries for? Nelson/Ruffs/Carroll? (maybe even someone like Raglan to L2) Possible even Henry
There looks to be a few who will struggle to make the squad. Mous (probably not quick enough) Norman? Long? Napa? Raglan? Ruffs? Carroll? HUGE squad if two more come in after RH

So much strength in depth already. Going to be strong

Eastwood
Brannagan Brown
Holmes Carruthers
Henry/Mackie
Smith

KR loves to play one up front and this year (if we sign Holmes too) we are full of pace out wide. Smith is going to have a field day. The 11/10 William Hill to finish top half looks way to big. Monster bet coming. 3-1+ Looks too big on day one too v Barnsley

Impact players Whyte/Hall/Obika/Derry

The three we had enquiries for? Nelson/Ruffs/Carroll? (maybe even someone like Raglan to L2) Possible even Henry
There looks to be a few who will struggle to make the squad. Mous (probably not quick enough) Norman? Long? Napa? Raglan? Ruffs? Carroll? HUGE squad if two more come in after RH

So much strength in depth already. Going to be strong
Hope Norman turns out to be the surprise package. Love players coming from lower divisions and proving their worth.

Back
Top Bottom