General Best place to live in Oxfordshire?

Manorlounger

Ok, off the wall type of question. Mrs Lounger and I are looking to move in the near future. We are looking for somewhere more rural but not without a pub, shop etc. We are both now retired (early) and are looking for the right location to make home for the forseeable future.
Early days but we have looked at a couple of places, Long Hanborough, North Leigh and Milton-under-Wychwood with varying results. (The Bloor Homes development in Long Hanborough was very interesting with a lot of boxes ticked)
What we would like is to hear from fellow Yellows and recommendations as to where to look, please!

We have just moved back to Oxon, started off looking exactly where you are but finally settled on Wallingford. Lots of pubs/shops in walking distance. We are in a brand new Miller home with a good size garden that is not overlooked. We liked the Bloor houses in LH but wanted a slightly bigger garden.

Bloor homes are really nice. I had a look around a few of the 3 bed show homes in Carterton and Witney, yesterday. Heard good things about the Long Hanborough development as well. I'm biased but Witney is a nice place to live.

With the amount of houses and developments going up all over the county, I would have thought that you will have no problem finding just the right place to call home. It seems that every village and town is expanding at the moment.

We have just moved back to Oxon, started off looking exactly where you are but finally settled on Wallingford. Lots of pubs/shops in walking distance. We are in a brand new Miller home with a good size garden that is not overlooked. We liked the Bloor houses in LH but wanted a slightly bigger garden.

My old man lives in Wallingford and likes it.

Bloor homes are really nice. I had a look around a few of the 3 bed show homes in Carterton and Witney, yesterday. Heard good things about the Long Hanborough development as well. I'm biased but Witney is a nice place to live.
Long Hanborough is a bit dearer but the location and estate is very good. Smaller development with plans to build a footbridge over the railway track to connect to the station. If we were ready to move now, I think we may well have bought there and then! We are going to spend a few months looking around, each time we come up from Hampshire for a home game.
Agree about the Bloor homes, very well built and good design.

Hope I'm not stating the obvious but if you're buying new, make a ridiculously low offer, insist your offer goes up the line to a manager or director & go from there.
Market is very slow at the moment, end of half year & financial year of builder is best time.

Hope I'm not stating the obvious but if you're buying new, make a ridiculously low offer, insist your offer goes up the line to a manager or director & go from there.
Market is very slow at the moment, end of half year & financial year of builder is best time.
Second development we looked at were offering deals before even quoting a price! I had to stifle a snigger. Sadly, having looked around the showhome, we had already decided not to go any further. Some designs should never have got off the drawing board!

Steventon 2 Pubs reasonably rural a coop a Bangladeshi restaurant although never been myself as it regulars features in the Oxford Mail with a one star on the score on the doors, has a church a good cafe a village green a sports and social club and a bakery, I and Mrs Bazzer live in the village so you can tick that one not to go to.

Steventon 2 Pubs reasonably rural a coop a Bangladeshi restaurant although never been myself as it regulars features in the Oxford Mail with a one star on the score on the doors, has a church a good cafe a village green a sports and social club and a bakery, I and Mrs Bazzer live in the village so you can tick that one not to go to.
You were doing such a good job @bazzer9461 . . . .

Long Hanborough is a bit dearer but the location and estate is very good. Smaller development with plans to build a footbridge over the railway track to connect to the station. If we were ready to move now, I think we may well have bought there and then! We are going to spend a few months looking around, each time we come up from Hampshire for a home game.
Agree about the Bloor homes, very well built and good design.
This is the home that we are hoping to reserve, on the Carterton development. I was also really impressed with the Bloor homes in Witney but for 50k less, you get more house for your money in Carterton. Crazy what moving a few miles up the road does to the cost of a house:

https://bloorhomes.com/developments/western/brize-meadow/the-heywood/plot-66

It’s Kingston Bagpuize or nothing I’m afraid chaps.

This is the home that we are hoping to reserve, on the Carterton development. I was also really impressed with the Bloor homes in Witney but for 50k less, you get more house for your money in Carterton. Crazy what moving a few miles up the road does to the cost of a house:

https://bloorhomes.com/developments/western/brize-meadow/the-heywood/plot-66
Yup, Bloor Homes are very impressive. First one we looked at we could have moved in, there and then. Wish you the very best of luck with that, I'm sure you will be very happy. Haggle for all the upgrades!
Astounding is that the price for a similar build by Bloor in Long Hanborough is about £100K more!
(might yet see us as neighbours!)

Watlington very nice at the foot of the Chilterns and is functional with several pubs. Abingdon also nice - hell, pretty much all of Oxfordshire is lovely in the rural parts and away from the City catchment areas

I met Mrs Pompeyyellows in the Fox Baz, 31 years ago.

Sandford is a nice setting with a couple of pubs and a bus into town, and you can walk to the ground!

Drayton ok, 2 pubs and couple of shops. even got an old school ironmongers - it's been there donkeys years so must be doing something right

Back
Top Bottom