Matches Best moment of the season (so far)

Lincoln.yellow1

In a very eventful season so far we have had so many memories (good and bad) however there must be a vote on the top 5 best and worst moments of the season before the it can be dwindled to to the vote.
So I’m going to kick off some of the worst and best moments so far.
Worst first -
The 2-1 home defeat to Scumdon (The wake up call we needed)
Marcus McGuane getting injured
Simon Eastwood‘s loss of form (Charlton away)
Northampton away (very lack lustre from the yellows)
Sunderland away (Bullied by the home side and then a total collapse from our boys)
The best -
Shodipo’s goal at Rochdale
Jack Stevens penalty save v Charlton at home to save a point
The 6-0 away win at Crewe
2-0 down at home to Gillingham and then to win 3-2
Dan Agyie’s goal at the County Ground
I’m sure there are others that mean so much however can someone create a vote for the best and worst moment of the season.

Surely yesterday has got to be up there. Not only did we make Burton look average but apparently we never show up under pressure. Aren't we the only team to do the double over Burton this season? and with an aggregate score of 9-1. Not just that but I was expecting Pompey to get a goal back and make it a nervous 5 mins but they never did.

Nice topic. I think it has to be a moment, not a broader theme. Maybe Shodipo’s winner at Rochdale, or Sam’s against Gills. Worst are late disaster against Swindon and handball at Wimbledon

Surely yesterday has got to be up there. Not only did we make Burton look average but apparently we never show up under pressure. Aren't we the only team to do the double over Burton this season? and with an aggregate score of 9-1. Not just that but I was expecting Pompey to get a goal back and make it a nervous 5 mins but they never did.
Without that +8 goal difference from the two Burton games we would have finished behind Charlton!

Hull at home. A decent performance against the best team in L1 this year - but that wasn’t really the story for me.

Being in the stadium for that game remains one of the most genuinely positive experiences I’ve had in recent years. Even if it was fleeting and a false-dawn in terms of the COVID pandemic recovery - it was wonderful to be a part of that first trial to get fans back into stadiums. It felt like every person in the ground was genuinely SO happy and thankful to be there. From the lucky fans like me who managed to snag tickets, through to both sets of players. Being around that much genuine, unbridled positivity has really stuck with me - and reminded me just how important the live football experience is, win or lose.

That first ‘proper’, distancing-free game back - home or away - is going to be an electric atmosphere.

Little bit different and maybe not the other to say best.

But the way the club from top to bottom has handled itself throughout the year (season)

Ranging from the way Cameron was treated for his injury not just the initial work on not only recognising their Kay be a potential big problem to the support they offered him and his family.

To the way the club kept in touch with supporters during the lockdown, calling people doing little visits with gifts etc.

Also to families who suffered losses of loved ones. May not seem much to fans of other clubs but those calls and mentions on the web site would have meant a lot to the families.

The allowance to let flags be hung in the stadium again may seem simple but to have flags at the stadium means a lot to the families who lost someone close and also to fans who can’t attend.

And finally the way whole club from top to bottom carries itself when Mickey Lewis sadly passed.

A club legend who’ll be forever remembered.

The send off at Ox City was very moving and showed what he meant to the club and how close we all are as one.

We are all a part of this fantastic club. We may argue on here, we may chip away at each other. But one thing will never be lost. That is that we are United. We are Oxford United and we will win and lose together and all be back next season no matter what.

Keep the faith. UTO

Without that +8 goal difference from the two Burton games we would have finished behind Charlton!

Yep and that 6-0 hammering of Crewe helped aswell. Been a crazy season , doing the double over Bristol Rovers too since god knows when is a real achievement.

Hull at home. A decent performance against the best team in L1 this year - but that wasn’t really the story for me.

Being in the stadium for that game remains one of the most genuinely positive experiences I’ve had in recent years. Even if it was fleeting and a false-dawn in terms of the COVID pandemic recovery - it was wonderful to be a part of that first trial to get fans back into stadiums. It felt like every person in the ground was genuinely SO happy and thankful to be there. From the lucky fans like me who managed to snag tickets, through to both sets of players. Being around that much genuine, unbridled positivity has really stuck with me - and reminded me just how important the live football experience is, win or lose.

That first ‘proper’, distancing-free game back - home or away - is going to be an electric atmosphere.
The applause that surprised the keepers when they came out to warm up, the first muffled singing when people weren’t sure if they could, or should, but then f**k it, we’re singing anyway. Looking forward to next Tuesday and hoping for a ticket.

Jack Stevens saving a Charlton penalty with the last touch of the game feels more crucial than hammering Burton twice.
In retrospect that was one of the most important, but at the time it was very pleasing but didn’t feel like a triumph. That was one of the few games this season that was quite dull apart from the penalty.

Oxford Mail have an article in a similar vein today. It's a 'Premium' article for subscribers, but for some reason these articles are available for free on the Bicester Advertiser website. 🤷‍♂️

• React
Reactions: m
Little bit different and maybe not the other to say best.

But the way the club from top to bottom has handled itself throughout the year (season)

Ranging from the way Cameron was treated for his injury not just the initial work on not only recognising their Kay be a potential big problem to the support they offered him and his family.

To the way the club kept in touch with supporters during the lockdown, calling people doing little visits with gifts etc.

Also to families who suffered losses of loved ones. May not seem much to fans of other clubs but those calls and mentions on the web site would have meant a lot to the families.

The allowance to let flags be hung in the stadium again may seem simple but to have flags at the stadium means a lot to the families who lost someone close and also to fans who can’t attend.

And finally the way whole club from top to bottom carries itself when Mickey Lewis sadly passed.

A club legend who’ll be forever remembered.

The send off at Ox City was very moving and showed what he meant to the club and how close we all are as one.

We are all a part of this fantastic club. We may argue on here, we may chip away at each other. But one thing will never be lost. That is that we are United. We are Oxford United and we will win and lose together and all be back next season no matter what.

Keep the faith. UTO
Nailed it. Even when we were playing badly I felt a sense of pride in how brilliant OUFC were off the pitch. They consistently went that extra mile because they really care. Even if we don't all agree on the finer details of the club, one thing I'm sure we can all agree on - our club is pretty damn special.

In terms of matches, the comebacks v Gillingham and Shrews. Friend of mine from the US that I'm turning into a U's fan watched the Shrews game with me, and at 2-1 down I told him we'd win 3-2. The reaction when the goal went in was priceless. I think the draw v MK will go under the radar a bit too, but we were rubbish that day so to come away with a point was huge. For worst moments, as much as it turned our season around, nothing will be as gutting as that utter collapse v the scum. I was angry for days after that.

Big Dan's match clincher vs the Scum! Thankfully there's plenty of good moments to choose from this season.

For worst moments, as much as it turned our season around, nothing will be as gutting as that utter collapse v the scum. I was angry for days after that.

I'd still be angry about that now if it weren't for the play offs!

Nailed it. Even when we were playing badly I felt a sense of pride in how brilliant OUFC were off the pitch. They consistently went that extra mile because they really care. Even if we don't all agree on the finer details of the club, one thing I'm sure we can all agree on - our club is pretty damn special.

In terms of matches, the comebacks v Gillingham and Shrews. Friend of mine from the US that I'm turning into a U's fan watched the Shrews game with me, and at 2-1 down I told him we'd win 3-2. The reaction when the goal went in was priceless. I think the draw v MK will go under the radar a bit too, but we were rubbish that day so to come away with a point was huge. For worst moments, as much as it turned our season around, nothing will be as gutting as that utter collapse v the scum. I was angry for days after that.
I'd still be angry about that now if it weren't for the play offs!
I still AM angry about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom