Best Moment Ever

Yellows1

Thought I’d change the subject for a bit as it’s all getting a bit boring lately, What’s your best moment ever supporting Oxford United FC, I’ll start off, for me If was when Sam Deering passed the ball to Alfie Potter who slotted the ball perfectly into the back of the net against York, securing our status back in the football league, I jumped so high and came crashing down on my wife lol, best moment ever and don’t think it will ever be repeatedly.

Seeing us win promotion in 96(although i was 9 so didn't really understand)
Seeing us get promoted in 2010 & 2016

Oh and seeing us beat those lot from down the road 7 times in a row :)

1996, 2010, 2016.

All the obvious ones since starting to watch games in 1995 really.

Winning the Milk Cup is up there for me. And beating Manure 1-0 at the Manor in the old second division when they had Macari, Buchan and McIlroy in their team, marvellous!

1. Malcolm Shotton lifting the Milk Cup in 1986
2. Paul Moody's header in the 4-0 against Peterborough in 1995- the game that sent us up
3. The Deering/Potter goal at Wembley

Funniest moments? Kevin Francis tripping himself up when trying to shoot from 20 yards. He really was useless. The cackling from the Beech Road was loud. And any David Kemp radio interview. Without a doubt, the most inept (and dimmest) manager we have ever had. Made Patto look like Mourinho.

1. Malcolm Shotton lifting the Milk Cup in 1986
2. Paul Moody's header in the 4-0 against Peterborough in 1995- the game that sent us up
3. The Deering/Potter goal at Wembley

Funniest moments? Kevin Francis tripping himself up when trying to shoot from 20 yards. He really was useless. The cackling from the Beech Road was loud. And any David Kemp radio interview. Without a doubt, the most inept (and dimmest) manager we have ever had. Made Patto look like Mourinho.
I know it was 96 really btw
And the funniest of all Kemp's radio drivel was when he said of Richard Knight (our then goalkeeper')...."he went down injured like he'd been shot. I wish he had been shot cos then I could have subbed him and it would have been easier for us". Comedy Gold. For those too young to remember, Kemp 'assembled' the worst OUFC team ever. Not only would Tiendalli have been in that team, he would probably have been captain. It was that bad.

mine was the 1984/85 season night match against Shrewsbury with us winning 1-0which bar an absolute miracle meant we were promoted to the old 1st division.
On a sad note it was during the warm up for this game that Billy Hamilton picked up an injury which effectvley finished his playing career.

All Started in 1975 for me, all the above and the days of the Left side of the London road packed in like sardines, great days, great atmosphere.
Unless you could not get in, then it was a case of running around to every entrance to get in!

I remember one time getting finally to the London road turnstiles (second in line) when they said no more! Then legging it around started!! :LOL:

Due to all games blurring from the Manor days due to my youngish age, it’s hard to pick a single moment out pre-Kassam. Knowing we’d beaten a team that was recently a PL side always felt a bit special. I remember Dave Smith scoring a very rare goal against Ipswich in a 1-0 win in 1997.

2010 was everything. It wasn’t the best moment in our club’s history but was arguably the most important. Who knows what would have happened had Michael Rankine scored that easy chance for York in the second half? Potter taking a touch and stroking it into the net still gives me goosebumps. Scary to think it was nearly eight years ago now.

Getting sunburnt on the Stratton Bank in 2011 when Constable scored two and Di Canio was sent off.

Most of 2015-16 was good fun as well. I felt rewarded in attending a series of away performance batterings of the opposition and outplaying good sides in others – Stevenage 1-5, Crawley 1-5, Barnet -03, Millwall 0-2 and even the Hoban-nearly-missed-from-half-a-yard-as-he-trod-on-the-ball 2-2 against Luton.

Ledson’s winner against Charlton earlier this year. Whilst it would be a stretch to call it a finest ever moment, it did sum up one of the reasons that we’re all drawn to football. We’ve felt short of those this season certainly.

My first match was in 1973, so I’ve experienced Wembley 1986 plus the great cup upsets and playing in the top division.

However for sheer elation, relief, emotion and knowing how vital it was to the future of the club, the Alfie Potter goal at Wembley. Don’t think I’ve ever been so emotionally drained as I was at the final whistle of that match.

The Alfie Potter goal at Wembley without a doubt...had to have a sit down to compose myself.
Aside from that...Matty Elliott's screamer at Carlisle and Joey's against Blackpool. For me the best goals we ever scored and I saw them both live.

mine was the 1984/85 season night match against Shrewsbury with us winning 1-0which bar an absolute miracle meant we were promoted to the old 1st division.
On a sad note it was during the warm up for this game that Billy Hamilton picked up an injury which effectvley finished his playing career.
Think the Hamilton injury happened a few months before that, in the warm up for our FA Cup defeat at The Manor v Blackburn. But was going to say the same game though. What a tense match but an unbelievable feeling when the final whistle went.

My first match was in 1973, so I’ve experienced Wembley 1986 plus the great cup upsets and playing in the top division.

However for sheer elation, relief, emotion and knowing how vital it was to the future of the club, the Alfie Potter goal at Wembley. Don’t think I’ve ever been so emotionally drained as I was at the final whistle of that match.

I still have the SKY highlights on my PC at work and revisit regularly, I think I actually shed a tear that day. The crescendo of sound building as the pair ran up the pitch until that moment 34 thousand of us let go. We were back in the league!!

Think the Hamilton injury happened a few months before that, in the warm up for our FA Cup defeat at The Manor v Blackburn. But was going to say the same game though. What a tense match but an unbelievable feeling when the final whistle went.
All that I remember Billy was warming up can't remember whether we started without him and then was substituted without coming on, but it was 38 years ago and have aged a bit since so the memory does go with age.

Beat me to it, Hamilton’s injury was in the warm up pre Blackburn and if we’d have won that match we’d have been live on the tv against Manure in the next round. I remember that vividly because live tv games were only just starting and I was gutted we’d missed out.

Oli Johnson's goal against Swindon, March 2012. After the elation of the win at their place, and with Swindon top and motoring towards promotion, was somehow convinced we were due for a beating. Beano red card at the start just sealed the gloom, and even with the Hall goal it still seemed like a matter of time to me.

Then that lovely tap-in and suddenly it seemed possible. Only two-in-a-row at the time, but the start of something special.

All that I remember Billy was warming up can't remember whether we started without him and then was substituted without coming on, but it was 38 years ago and have aged a bit since so the memory does go with age.
I'm the other way with my memory, can remember so much of the 80s and early 90s, but ask me who we played last week I have no idea! ?

We’ve mentioned the Milk Cup Final bit also for me a great moment was when the final whistle went in the semi final second leg at the manor against Villa. We were actually going to Wembley! What a feeling!

Beat me to it, Hamilton’s injury was in the warm up pre Blackburn and if we’d have won that match we’d have been live on the tv against Manure in the next round. I remember that vividly because live tv games were only just starting and I was gutted we’d missed out.

My memory is fading but thanks for the confirmation

Back
Top Bottom