Ben Woodburn

Not making excuses but Juventus fans weren’t entirely blameless with the hooliganism that occurred that fateful day

Legally at least, after an 18-month investigation, the entirety of the blame was found to lay with the fans of Liverpool FC, and several were charged with manslaughter, and prosecuted.

Not just Oxford of course, but the fans of West Ham, Derby, Norwich, Coventry, Luton and Wimbledon can all reasonably say they were denied the opportunity to see their best-ever XI compete at Europe's highest level. Southampton and Wednesday, outside the traditional powerbase, were also denied European campaigns, just not their first.

Only Norwich that I can think of made it after the ban.

Legally at least, after an 18-month investigation, i agree , and several were charged with manslaughter, and prosecuted.

Not just Oxford of course, but the fans of West Ham, Derby, Norwich, Coventry, Luton and Wimbledon can all reasonably say they were denied the opportunity to see their best-ever XI compete at Europe's highest level. Southampton and Wednesday, outside the traditional powerbase, were also denied European campaigns, just not their first.

Only Norwich that I can think of made it after the ban.

I agree all I was saying Juventus fans did play some part, I’m not backing Liverpool in anyway whatsoever and yes fans were charged with what happened. It cost a lot of us a chance to see top European sides.

Will be good to see him back. It's been so long I'd forgotten where we were playing him? Didn't he start off no.10 and then drop back into midfield when we switched to 4-3-3?

It’ll be good to have him back. More options for us won’t be a bad thing at all

Will be good to see him back. It's been so long I'd forgotten where we were playing him? Didn't he start off no.10 and then drop back into midfield when we switched to 4-3-3?
Yes started off as the number 10 behind the striker when we were playing 4-2-3-1, was a bit hit and miss. Then we changed to 4-3-3 (technically more like 4-1-2-3 as Gorrin sits deeper than the other 2 CM's), we were transformed and so too was Woodburn playing deeper. Put in a few really impressive performances before his unfortunate injuries. He showed he can get stuck in and do the nasty side of the game and still affect the game with his passing/dribbling ability - look at the Lincoln 6-0 highlights for a superb ball to set up Fosu for our second.

It took him a bit of time to find form when he first came. I think it will take him a few weeks to get up to speed when he is back. If we are winning he may struggle for game time to get up to speed.

Played on the right early season, looked better centrally

For me, he was at his best when he dropped deeper into central midfield as he could run from deep and generally had more space to influence the game. He could tackle pretty well so also could do the defensive role needed.

Hopefully he gets his shots just inside the post/crossbar when he comes back as he seemed to hit the woodwork a fair bit pre-injury.

For me, he was at his best when he dropped deeper into central midfield as he could run from deep and generally had more space to influence the game. He could tackle pretty well so also could do the defensive role needed.

Hopefully he gets his shots just inside the post/crossbar when he comes back as he seemed to hit the woodwork a fair bit pre-injury.

If he comes into the side, would it be in Sykes' current position?

I would like to see him playing centrally, alongside Brannagan and just in front of Gorrin. I don't think he has the pace and the physicality that Sykes does when riding challenges and beating players, out-wide.

Probably if considering his best form from before the injury. I suspect we'll have more rotation in midfield anyway. Woodburn will start on the bench anyway.

For example, Gorrin will be rotated occasionally with Liam Kelly imo.

Back
Top Bottom