Ben Woodburn

Sounds great in prospect. Look forward to seeing what he can do. It helps that he's got the ability to play in a few spots. Is it likely that he'll have a "Must play if fit" type clause, given his status? If so, that could cause a few selection challenges. Is he likely to rotate with Henry in the No 10 type position? Or as an out and out striker?

Sounds great in prospect. Look forward to seeing what he can do. It helps that he's got the ability to play in a few spots. Is it likely that he'll have a "Must play if fit" type clause, given his status? If so, that could cause a few selection challenges. Is he likely to rotate with Henry in the No 10 type position? Or as an out and out striker?
He’s not a “striker” as such but no doubt Bazzer and others will be expecting 20+ goals from him (from 20,30,50 meters).

Remember his stunning strike a couple of years ago. Some prospect

Woodburn was being spoken about in May and we expressed an interest along with a number of other league one clubs. The deal was always to complete pre-season at Liverpool and then assess his next move. For what anyone thinks of Robinson he is respected in the game for supporting and developing young players, and that is a big influence when we're looking at bringing in these type of players. Last year Sinclair looked at bit all over the place until KR spent time working on him being between the posts. He them started scoring and looking a much big threat. Nothing but positives from me - as you'd expect!

Prospect is the right word. If it comes off then it’s a great coup but let’s not expect too much in the short term. He will need bigger stronger more experienced pros around him to bring him on and get the best out of him.

Don't want to bring the mood down but is an unproven 19 year old loanee really the Second coming that some seem to think he could be?

Yes he sounds like a promising player, but he's coming off a very disappointing loan last year and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit that his progress has stalled.

That's not to say he could be a really exciting addition to the squad, assuming he's joined by some permanent signings with perhaps a bit more experience at our level.

Just wanting to maintain a bit of balance!

Don't want to bring the mood down but is an unproven 19 year old loanee really the Second coming that some seem to think he could be?

Yes he sounds like a promising player, but he's coming off a very disappointing loan last year and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit that his progress has stalled.

That's not to say he could be a really exciting addition to the squad, assuming he's joined by some permanent signings with perhaps a bit more experience at our level.

An unproven player deemed good enough to have played in one of the strongest Liverpool squads for years as well as scored goals at full international level for Wales ....hardly a trialist from Stoke !

We had this nonsense with Sinclair. It's hard for footballers to score goals if they aren't given game time at a suitable level to prove it.

And also he's scored 2 goals (yes two!) for the Wales national side. Not bad for a teenager.
Which part of my post is nonsense - it's factually correct. I would be delighted if he bangs in 20 goals this coming season but the initial w*nkfest that has been shown on this forum at this announcement is imho a bit OTT. I think it shows how desperate we've become for good news on the recruitment front.

If Ched Evans had been announced as our striker (moral outlook aside), that would be a very solid announcement and we really could get excited based on a proven track record of banging in goals consistently at this level. Woodburn has real promise but he may not be the Messiah, he may be a very naughty boy.

In fairness that what people were saying about Roofe and Sinclair. Both players took a few games to find their feet and rebuild their confidence and then the goals came.

But it's not just about goal scoring, Lunstrum, Ledson and Brannagan didn't tear up trees elsewhere but all flourished here. It's how you support and develop players that counts, and we've got a good track record of getting the best out of young players.

That's a bit critical. You said it there though, he is just 19.........to be a 19 year old and break into Liverpool's team would take one exceptional player. The fact that he has been on the cusp of the first team and playing/scoring for Wales as a 17 year old, speaks volume of his potential.

Now this is the perfect opportunity for him to make the next step. Any other Prem team apart from a couple at the top, he would probably have got many more games.

This guy could be better than any loan player that has played for us before.

Not meant to be critical - just realistic. Yes he could be better than any loan player that has played for us before but he's hardly played any competitive football over the past 3 years. If you offered me Ched Evans, Pittman or another proven goalscorer at this level, I'd have them ahead of Woodburn every time. I hope he fulfils the potential that he undoubtedly has and that everyone else on this forum seems convinced will come to the fore straight away.

An unproven player deemed good enough to have played in one of the strongest Liverpool squads for years as well as scored goals at full international level for Wales ....hardly a trialist from Stoke !

Alternatively... an unproven player deemed not good enough to play for Sheffield Utd in the Championship last season.

Which part of my post is nonsense - it's factually correct. I would be delighted if he bangs in 20 goals this coming season but the initial w*nkfest that has been shown on this forum at this announcement is imho a bit OTT. I think it shows how desperate we've become for good news on the recruitment front.

If Ched Evans had been announced as our striker (moral outlook aside), that would be a very solid announcement and we really could get excited based on a proven track record of banging in goals consistently at this level. Woodburn has real promise but he may not be the Messiah, he may be a very naughty boy.

Rather than there being a w*nkfest about picking up one of the most promising young players in the country, I would say that your posts is unnecessarily pessimistic.

As fans, most demand that we recruit the best players possible and then some knock them before they've even played a game. Danny Hylton was a cart horse in many people's eyes before he'd even kicked a ball. Roofe hasn't scored elsewhere, Lundstrum, Ledson, Whyte, Browne, all labelled as lightweight who'd never played at this level.

But then, the moment we let anyone leave they become the players most likely to get on the cover of Fifa21!!

No wonder Robinson looks so knackered, he's busting a gut to get in top quality players only for some to moan that they're still not good enough!!!

Which part of my post is nonsense - it's factually correct.

I was referring to a more general nonsense of kicking a player just because in his short career he hasn’t delivered the 20+ goals you seem to require.

And also the ‘one goal’ isn’t factually correct, as he’s scored one for Liverpool and two for Wales.

I’m very optimistic about Woodburn.
Has been at arguably the best club in England.
Dropping down two divisions I believe will see his goal scoring prowess improve no end.
I’d like Ched Evans here to show real intent.
I’m sure Ben will be very fast and get goals too.enjoy your time here. Hopefully link up well with Brannigan

Yeah I think it’s a bit ridiculous to criticise fans for being pleased that we’ve signed a player who’s played for Liverpool and Wales on loan. Of course we need experienced players as well, but it isn’t one or the other? The people saying this is a good deal for us are looking at it in isolation. Comments I’ve seen from other fans suggest he’s a level higher than L1. Put it this way, if Sunderland or Portsmouth had got him in I’m sure a few people on here would be saying that’s a good signing for them.

I'm happy at the prospect of Woodburn. We've a good track record of being the catalyst for stalled high-level youngsters. But, and its a big but, his arrival should not detract from the need for permanent signings of the highest-quality we can attract in key positions. He's a cherry-on-the-top luxury rather than a key part of a permanent spine.

Hope it happens.

Back
Top Bottom