Ben Woodburn

Woodburn was (IMO) only just starting to get really effective when he got injured. I can imagine that it will take him a while to get back up to speed, and the idea that he will immediately replace Sykes is very odd.

Woodburn was (IMO) only just starting to get really effective when he got injured. I can imagine that it will take him a while to get back up to speed, and the idea that he will immediately replace Sykes is very odd.
Agree. Don’t think he’s just going to walk straight into the team, talented as he is. Unless Liverpool have this “must play” clause someone mentioned. I’d guess he won’t be fully match fit and functioning till later this month.

No one has suggested that he immediately replaces Sykes.

The discussion has been, what is his best position?

There are only ten games left of the season though. And we have just won our last four, so you'd imagine it isn't broken and doesn't need fixing! I do wonder if he will get enough time on the pitch (or in U23 games?) to get up to match sharpness and make much of a contribution other than (as Sarge says) short cameos off the bench if needed.

Don't think he'll get much game time. Needs to get up to fitness first which takes a couple games.

He should quite rightly start on the bench. It will be up to the starting mids to keep their form up. Not a bad situation for KR to have.
Not keen on the must play if fit agreement, if it's true.

If we make the play offs players like Kelly and Woodburn might act like a wet sail and be match fit and fresh at the end of a long season and help to invigorate the side

There are only ten games left of the season though. And we have just won our last four, so you'd imagine it isn't broken and doesn't need fixing! I do wonder if he will get enough time on the pitch (or in U23 games?) to get up to match sharpness and make much of a contribution other than (as Sarge says) short cameos off the bench if needed.

We got results against Accy and Southend but the team looked leggy and we were far from our best. A bit of rotation isn't a bad thing.

We got results against Accy and Southend but the team looked leggy and we were far from our best. A bit of rotation isn't a bad thing.
Oh, I agree that we didn't look brilliant. But hopefully no longer playing two games a week will go some way to sorting that out. And rotation? Yes to that as well. But I doubt that Woodburn will be match ready enough to be a starter for at least a few games yet.

Ben will want to put himself in the best possible position to get a call up for Wales at the Euros, so there's no way he's just going to plod along and settle for a place on the bench. If he is in the squad for Shrewsbury, then it won't be long until he's starting games on the regular - and if we do get into the playoffs he could be the extra boost we need to win them.

Ben will want to put himself in the best possible position to get a call up for Wales at the Euros, so there's no way he's just going to plod along and settle for a place on the bench. If he is in the squad for Shrewsbury, then it won't be long until he's starting games on the regular - and if we do get into the playoffs he could be the extra boost we need to win them.
.... indeed, that could well be a feasible possibility .... he will need to get himself match fit first of course

.... indeed, that could well be a feasible possibility .... he will need to get himself match fit first of course
And, of course, if he actually plays decent when on the pitch and is deemed a better option than another player, which will be the main reason he plays, regardless of whether he wants to or not.

One thing is if KR puts him in he better be sure he can hit the ground running. Better safe than sorry make sure he is 100%.. Maybe if we are comfortably ahead bring him on.

On another note if he does come back and hit form straight away then that is great for us. Remember what they all said about this boy and his potential . Hopfully he can start showing it.

Could be the difference for us. Abit of quality.

ox mail article says him Thorne and Kelly will have a behind-closed-door game next week to get some game time.
will be a huge benefit having these 3 ready for the final push

Leicester City goalkeeper Danny Ward has returned to his regional roots to help struggling families with children receive free meals during Coronavirus lockdown.

Ward, who began his career with Wrexham and Liverpool, has kickstarted a Cash for Kids programme to provide essential care for the most vulnerable people in the north-west and north Wales.

The scheme has also received backing from Liverpool’s youngest goalscorer Ben Woodburn with restaurant chain Hickorys Smokehouse committed to preparing and delivering meals.

Back
Top Bottom