Beeks

He has been subjected to cat-calls, booing, mocking and darn right abuse about being an ex-Swindon player. He has never appeared to react.

The sad thing is, he wasn't at all bad last season. He was played on his own, with no support from midfield, rotated every other week with Thomas, had no time to settle.

At Doncaster he was integral in the move that allowed Henry to score, yet he was heckled all day and in fact, heckled during that passage of play.

Unfortunately, we have a section of support who don't understand what the roles are of the players or why they take up positions they do. Being an ex Swindon player, seems to also blind a few people.

He's actually vastly under-rated. He is a quality footballer.

Berliner making a comment has brought this thread back up.

Never understand a section of our fan-base. If anyone ever wants confirmation of the dog s**t abuse this bloke gets, no doubt, you've seen it on Facebook and Twitter over the past 24 hours. It's actually bloody disgraceful.

And to think another body missing might actually see us struggle all season and people are celebrating. Idiots.

Dejon Noel-Williams is also available I suppose.
I was surprised to not see Noel- Williams mentioned along with the other 3? .... in his case, perhaps being farmed out =out of sight out of (KR, SD & DFs) mind? :unsure:

Last edited:
Berliner making a comment has brought this thread back up.

Never understand a section of our fan-base. If anyone ever wants confirmation of the dog s**t abuse this bloke gets, no doubt, you've seen it on Facebook and Twitter over the past 24 hours. It's actually bloody disgraceful.

And to think another body missing might actually see us struggle all season and people are celebrating. Idiots.

The abusive comments are utterly out of order and I hope he fully recovers to carry on his career.

On your last comment, I couldn't see him helping us improve particularly and his injury* may actually force investment in this position in January, whether a loan or permanent due to a lack of numbers. He has only impressed on odd occasions with them coming so far apart and rarely. I'm going to sound like Bazzer but his goal return is woeful. We got rid of Ryan Taylor who had a poor strike rate but he added a lot to the team overall. Beeks doesn't really add anything to the team like Taylor.

*I wish that investment though came about without Beeks being injured.

Obviously, nobody with an ounce of grey matter is happy that he has such an injury. Anyone who is really is beneath contempt.

Having said that, I agree with Marked Ox - I really think he added little to the effectiveness of the team and I find him one of the most frustrating players to watch. I hope he recovers well and manages to get his career back on track after we inevitably let him go at the end of the season.

It really is a game of opinions. He holds the ball up well - is it his fault he has not much support? It was the case last season and it was the case to a lesser extent, this season. Would he prefer to play in a front two? His better seasons as a striker would suggest yes.

Is it any wonder, that our system, doesn't appear to benefit Sam Smith's play either? Another who has taken unfair stick.

Of course, he's not scored enough and of course, I'd let him go at the end of the season but we now have a player down until January unless Karl finds a out of contract player.

Nicky Maynard anybody??? Oh forgot he's at Bury 3 goals so far... Not pretending he's the answer but could of weighed in a few goals.

The thing with playing a fairly isolated man up top is that he needs to be a hell of an athlete. He either needs to be A pretty strong and very quick (off the top of my head, an Aguero type player, maybe Billy sharp) or B an absolute beast of a man capable of dominating defenders with their strength and size (I’m thinking John Carew, Heskey in his prime or, in our current league, Kieffer Moore). Mackie seemed to show last weekend that he can be the former of these. Is Obika physical enough to play the latter role in L1? I’m afraid I’ve never seen it.

That said, I agree wholeheartedly with the comments condemning his abuse. It regularly disgusts me. This forum is literally the only place, either online or in the terraces, where I hear/read some rational and considered views on him as a player.

It really is a game of opinions. He holds the ball up well - is it his fault he has not much support? It was the case last season and it was the case to a lesser extent, this season. Would he prefer to play in a front two? His better seasons as a striker would suggest yes.

Is it any wonder, that our system, doesn't appear to benefit Sam Smith's play either? Another who has taken unfair stick.

Of course, he's not scored enough and of course, I'd let him go at the end of the season but we now have a player down until January unless Karl finds a out of contract player.
No, Simon, he DIDN’T hold the ball up well. When the ball came to his feet it rarely stuck, and often bounced away immediately. He couldn’t turn his marker or beat him for pace. He allowed the opposing player to win 4 out of 5 headers (he rarely jumped) and those he DID win very often went nowhere useful. I have only seen him lay off effective balls to oncoming attackers half a dozen or so times this season. No centre half this year would claim they had a hard time against him. I wish him well in his recovery - absolutely - but he really is no great loss.

Feel really sorry for Obika with the injury, will knock him for six.

I hate the stick he gets at games and on social media. People are always saying hes crap but it's no coincidence that he has played most of his football in the championship and league one, he does have all the attributes to be a top player but there is something missing which has stopped him getting there.

The ironic thing is for all the stick he gets, if he could get his confidence sorted he wouldn't even be in this league. No one is pretending his spell here has been a success but it's never been the right fit for him.

The most unfortunate thing about his career is that he probably not found the right manager to work under, someone who 100 per cent believes in him and inspires him to think he's as good as he could be. Maybe Appleton would have helped him.

I'm pretty sure we won't see him play for us again but wouldn't be surprised to see him in league one again.

Too much talent to play in League One, but generally ineffective in his time here. Will always be a big “what if” player in my mind, and hope he gets fit to fulfil his potential next season elsewhere.

I would like to wish him well, no decent person would wish an injury on a player,
But he hasn’t played well for us, watching Mackie the other day should show us what Beeks should have been doing, his first touch is usually awful, he doesn’t win enough headers, he try’s his step overs but they don’t confuse anyone, he doesn’t go anywhere with the ball and his lack of goals in competitive games is shocking, we’ve had defenders score more.
So good luck next season with a new club

Are you saying that he is a Championship quality player? Because if that's so, I've obviously been watching a completely different bloke!
I'm saying he would have been if he fulfilled his potential. It's not worked out here and he's not ever got going but he is far from the poor player he is thought of as by some of our fans.

Well, I broadly agree, Simon. He's not as bad as folk make out but our system doesn't help him. A lone striker in a team where midfielders have often been slow in support, and decent crosses from the wings have been rare, would have to be exceptional to make an impact. If he regains fitness and finds the right club/manager I reckon he could have an impact certainly in L2 and maybe L1.

Hope he recovers quickly but my honest feeling when I heard of his injury, was that it was no loss to the quality of our team or even the squad. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but the stats (and performances) speak for themselves and Obika (in my opinion) just hasn’t been anywhere near good enough during his time at OUFC.

Edit: Having listened to radox, I do agree, in terms of the squad, maybe I am being a little harsh. He has added to the team previously whilst defending corners.

Last edited:
I'm saying he would have been if he fulfilled his potential. It's not worked out here and he's not ever got going but he is far from the poor player he is thought of as by some of our fans.
I hope for his sake that you are right, he grabs his next chance and makes a decent living in the game. Personally (given that I can only really comment on what I have seen rather than any unrealised potential he may or may not have) I think he will be going down a division or two rather than up one any time soon but I hope it works out for him.

Are you saying that he is a Championship quality player? Because if that's so, I've obviously been watching a completely different bloke!

No - I’m saying he has too much talent to be stuck in L1. Hasn’t put it into practice much though.

Obika has all of the physical attributes to be a top quality footballer, but unfortunately he just has a very low footballing IQ.

Back
Top Bottom