Barnsley on Tuesday evening - Weather watch

1983/4 ish we were away at Barnsley (I think) which was called off. We headed to Mansfield as Mick Vintner had moved to them. That was also called off. Spent the afternoon in Mansfield pubs. The only 2 games in the country called off that day! I think the London Road coaches headed to Sheffield United and went in the away end.

1983/4 ish we were away at Barnsley (I think) which was called off. We headed to Mansfield as Mick Vintner had moved to them. That was also called off. Spent the afternoon in Mansfield pubs. The only 2 games in the country called off that day! I think the London Road coaches headed to Sheffield United and went in the away end.

Both London road coaches wEre given police permission to go in the Brighton end, complete with scarves and flags.
The one image I will never forget is the huge length of terracing, full of Sheffield United fans all decked out for a fashion parade. There were hundreds of them. Totally confused as to why Oxford fans suddenly appeared.

Last edited:
I remember running about my student house when the teletext page refreshed and informed me we’d got a last minute winner at Sunderland (Moody) in 1994 to give us a chance of staying up that season, which we then failed to do.

Tell kids about teletext these days and they just slowly shake their heads and look at you with pity in their eyes.

I can remember early Teletext waiting for the page to change to the appropriate division scores and then somebody would knock on the door, or some such; and when you'd come back it would have gone past meaning you'd have to wait all over.

I can remember early Teletext waiting for the page to change to the appropriate division scores and then somebody would knock on the door, or some such; and when you'd come back it would have gone past meaning you'd have to wait all over.
I watched us beat Charlton in a penalty shootout on teletext, it was really tense ?

I think the original game was scheduled for December 1984 but was rearranged due to snow and played on April 2nd 1985.

We were soundly beaten at Oakwell 3-0 - a winger called Gordon Owen ( ex-Sheff Weds) bagged a hat-trick.

Both London road coaches wEre given police permission to go in the Brighton end, complete with scarves and flags.
The one image I will never forget is the huge length of terracing, full of Sheffield United fans all decked out for a fashion parade. There were hundreds of them. Totally confused as to why Oxford fans suddenly appeared.
Thats the game i asked the turnstile bloke if this was the Oxford end, he said but we are playing Brighton to which I replied there'll be more of us than them.

This is one decision he simply has to get right or it’s bye bye time for us .

Was always rubbish to say we were bringing in two. One has been a struggle.

It seems from his comments that it’s only going to be the one player coming in. Let’s hope he’s a good one! ?

Please no! Theyve known all along that two strikers were needed. Teflon even broke it down to an experienced striker and a youngster.

Rushden & Diamonds. Due to our club secretary refusing to get some pitch covers in during a cold snap as he had a weather spread sheet which assured us that they wouldn’t be needed, only for a big strip in front of the south stand to still be frozen over at lunchtime. We then had the youth team running up and down it and tipping bins of hot water on it to try to thaw it out, but the referee called it off early so as to give Rushden fans the opportunity to either turn around or not set off at all.

I remember that vividly because not only was everyone at the club bar Mr Brown saying for ages that the pitch wouldn’t thaw in time without covers taking the edge off, Chris Williams and I then had to put stickers over all of the match day programmes we’d printed that had the rearranged date on them, which took the pair of us so long that it became a battle to see who could hold back the tears longest.

No, YOU’RE crying.

Remember it well. We drove down from York having taken a good half hour to get off the drive due to snow and ice. Arrived and parked up, walked to the ground and peered through a gap in the fence end to see the youth team jumping up and down on then frozen sections. Game got called off somewhere around 1 and 2. I remember it being too late to Realistically try and find another game.

Walked back to the car telling all those who were heading towards the ground that it was off without anyone believing us.
Got back in the car and discovered Yorks home game was on despite the snow and ice. Drove back to York with a brief stop for Dad to be interviewed on Radio Oxford as they were seeking people who had travelled the furthest.

Revised weather predictions appear that there may be a bit of snow (&sleet) later, but not as bad as was being predicted . . .that said temperature is set to plummet tonight .. . .. game on and let's hope we carry on the league performance from the pompey game

Midweek cup game????
Lights went out then frozen pitch....They gave out vouchers to claim refund for ticket, but some people over indulged and pocketed a whole load.

One very clever Oxford fan, went to the ticket booth and said he couldn't make the replay so would like a refund there and then, Watford obliged, and everyone joined in, pocketing tens of £'s.

That's the one. I lived in St Albans at the time so it wasn't too much of a pain for me, though!

Back
Top Bottom