Barnsley on Tuesday evening - Weather watch

Ox4Eva

I had an alert on my met office app that there is heavy snow expected Tuesday evening.

Whether that happens or not is obviously another matter but it may be worth keeping an eye on this encase it leaves the game in doubt.

Better tell Barnsley early as they are heading down early afternoon tomorrow!!

Heavy snowfall is predicted in Oxford from 8.00pm to 11.00pm. This could be fun! When was the last time we had a home game abandoned? I can't remember any.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2640729
probably not the last time a home game was called off, nonetheless very very annoying was a boxingday home match a few seasons ago which was called off by the match official around 1.45pm , due a sliver of the pitch near the dugouts being apparently frozen

there had been a big build up n hype in the run in to the game, high sales of advance tickets ..... from a personal perspective, a lot of family members/ exiled U's fans were back in the motherland for that one...only to find, on a decent December afternoon, the matchday referee called it off 1.15 hr before kick off

The away game was a bloody nightmare. Got there at 1. Was sat in a pub three pints in and at 2pm it got called off!

Not as good as Gateshead in the cup...up there in a blizzard, arrived, wound down window to be told it had just been called off.

Concretebob..1st Jan 2010? Yes very disappointing. Managed to get to the Chavenage game v Cambridge..where Yemi opened the scoring for the hosts who also had Jon Ashton in their side and Eddie Anaclet on the bench. Anthony Tonkin was playing for Cambridge (last game before coming to us?)..as was Courtney Pitt. 4-1 to the Chavs with 3406 watching.

probably not the last time a home game was called off, nonetheless very very annoying was a boxingday home match a few seasons ago which was called off by the match official around 1.45pm , due a sliver of the pitch near the dugouts being apparently frozen

there had been a big build up n hype in the run in to the game, high sales of advance tickets ..... from a personal perspective, a lot of family members/ exiled U's fans were back in the motherland for that one...only to find, on a decent December afternoon, the matchday referee called it off 1.15 hr before kick off
Woking in the conference wasn't it? Was in the bar with dad when it was called off, nothing else for it, we ordered another pitcher...

Stockport in the nineties. We all trooped over to the Standard and got bladdered.

There were 2 fog games that should have been called off that I remember at The Manor, first v Wimbledon, 83/4ish, then another against Bristol City in the early 90s. Couldn't see the halfway line in either of those games.

Cardiff in the eighties. Stepped off the special at half one to be welcomed by a billboard on the platform saying "Match off".

Kidderminster in the Conference for a 3pm Kick off. Snow. Coach got back at midnight.

There have been plenty of games that have been postponed on the day (another that wasn't mention was Forest away in the FA Cup) but my question was - have we ever played a game at home that was abandoned? I have watching the U's since the late 60's but can't recall this ever happening. Away from Oxford, I remember watching us playing on a lake in Cambridge and in a snowstorm at Goodison Park but both games were concluded. I think there was a game that was abandoned at half time at Mansfield but I don't recall this ever happening in a home game.

Bury (a) having stayed there on the previous night and Eastbourne (a) - played the morning match vs their fans on both occasions unlike the fancy dans who didn't fancy it in the afternoon ?. We did have to crack the ice on the puddles on the pitch with our studs in Bury mind.........

Back
Top Bottom