General Baptiste 'out' in October

Sarge

God like member
called up by Grenada for CONCAF nations league - congrats Shandon

When was the last time we had a game postponed due to international commitments?

called up by Grenada for CONCAF nations league - congrats Shandon

I want him to have a successful and long international career but for that reason I wish he'd turn it down this time.

The reason I say this is that he is still working back from long term injury and had a very recent injury scare. Grenada won't have the level of medical support/facilities that we do and I worry his risk of further injury will go up considerably as a result, risking his future career.

I want him to have a successful and long international career but for that reason I wish he'd turn it down this time.

The reason I say this is that he is still working back from long term injury and had a very recent injury scare. Grenada won't have the level of medical support/facilities that we do and I worry his risk of further injury will go up considerably as a result, risking his future career.

To be fair to Shandon - Grenada are in a good position to qualify for their first Gold Cup (their equivalent to the Euros) in a decade, but that qualification will be decided by the results of their next four games.

Given that they've never gotten close to World Cup qualification (and are not likely to anytime soon), this is probably the best chance they're going to get for some/any international glory.

To be fair to Shandon - Grenada are in a good position to qualify for their first Gold Cup (their equivalent to the Euros) in a decade, but that qualification will be decided by the results of their next four games.

Given that they've never gotten close to World Cup qualification (and are not likely to anytime soon), this is probably the best chance they're going to get for some/any international glory.

I do appreciate that but I hope Shandon says that at the most he only plays 1 game each week he is there (with the travelling as well) but I'd still prefer he didn't go. It is too early for him to be playing 2 games in a week in his recovery and they won't have the levels of medical support we have.

Shandon really needs to think of his long term health and career for me.

I do appreciate that but I hope Shandon says that at the most he only plays 1 game each week he is there (with the travelling as well) but I'd still prefer he didn't go. It is too early for him to be playing 2 games in a week in his recovery and they won't have the levels of medical support we have.

Shandon really needs to think of his long term health and career for me.
depends if the physio/medical team thinks he’s up for it.
would agree though, i’d prefer he wasn’t risked but could be great experience for him

depends if the physio/medical team thinks he’s up for it.
would agree though, i’d prefer he wasn’t risked but could be great experience for him

I suspect Shandon would have a big say, well I would hope so!

I suspect Shandon would have a big say, well I would hope so!
obviously, but would be on there recommendation surely?
either way he’s had an interesting 12 months since he captained against man shitty and best of luck to him

It's not an uncommon move. A lot of players of Caribbean heritage based in England often play only a handful of games for their national side. I guess the thought of not losing their place for their club side is more important than qualifiers for the Gold Cup or facing a battering at the hands of the USA or Mexico.

For example, Jason Roberts won only 12 caps in 10 years for Grenada, Ruel Fox won two caps for Montserrat two years after he retired and Robbie Earle won only eight caps for Jamaica despite a top flight career of almost a decade in the '90s. I think for most the call up seems fun at the time, but the novelty of travelling across the Atlantic to play qualifiers at small grounds alongside the less professional local call ups soon wears off.

I admire Shandon's ambition, but I feel there's more to it than hoping for the England call on this occasion.

I wanted Shandon to turn them down, but not for any England ambitions. I think it's a key time for him to improve his fitness and get more game time and really establish himself as a first team player.

Last edited:
It's not an uncommon move. A lot of players of Caribbean heritage based in England often play only a handful of games for their national side. I guess the thought of not losing their place for their club side is more important than qualifiers for the Gold Cup or facing a battering at the hands of the USA or Mexico.

For example, Jason Roberts won only 12 caps in 10 years for Grenada, Ruel Fox won two caps for Montserrat two years after he retired and Robbie Earle won only eight caps for Jamaica despite a top flight career of almost a decade in the '90s. I think for most the call up seems fun at the time, but the novelty of travelling across the Atlantic to play qualifiers at small grounds alongside the less professional local call ups soon wears off.

I admire Shandon's ambition, but I feel there's more to it than hoping for the England call on this occasion.

One difference between those cases - Jason Roberts was born in London, Ruel Fox was born in Ipswich, and Robbie Earle was born in Newcastle-under-Lyme. They're all, as you say, players of Caribbean heritage but their connections were strictly familial.

Shandon was actually born in Grenada. He moved to the UK when he was very young, but it wouldn't surprise me if his connection to the island was stronger as a result.

You're right - it's almost certainly better for his career that he turns them down.
But it is the case, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, that these next few games represent the best chance for a long time for Grenada to qualify for a major international competition. If he turns these down, he's likely turning them down for good.

I sincerely hope it was his own decision, and not something he was pressured into by KR or anyone else......

Back
Top Bottom