EFL Back to 5 subs for 22/23

need a full and fit squad then .... and decide whether to punt out promising youngsters, or keep em n blood em

I’m really glad this rule is coming back. Whilst I understand the argument that it favours bigger teams with bigger budgets - I do think there is a genuine improvement in the quality of the football too. Particularly since the restriction is kept in place that limit the 5 subs to the same amount of breaks in play as 3.

It gives managers more ability to influence the game from the bench, with more options to change shapes, systems and patterns in play. A lot of us on here have been watching live football for a long time. How often can you watch the first 15-20 minutes of a game and immediately get a feel for the kind of game you’re going to watch. Having more subs and more ability for managers to change things felt to me like I was watching a more dynamic, unpredictable product - which I really like.

And for a tinkerer like KR who (IMO) doesn’t always get his starting line-ups right and constantly has ‘plans’ for his subs (premeditated sub times, players only playing certain amounts of minutes etc), I think the rule change offers increased benefits. I.e. he can make his ‘I’m going to bring Winnall on after 63.5 minutes because of sports science’ (or whatever it was at Cambridge last year) sub - but still have a couple more options to actually change the game.

And for a tinkerer like KR who (IMO) doesn’t always get his starting line-ups right and constantly has ‘plans’ for his subs (premeditated sub times, players only playing certain amounts of minutes etc), I think the rule change offers increased benefits. I.e. he can make his ‘I’m going to bring Winnall on after 63.5 minutes because of sports science’ (or whatever it was at Cambridge last year) sub - but still have a couple more options to actually change the game.

Honestly, I feel that KR is a little all over the place when it comes to subs.

Sometimes he gets it absolutely right and brings people on who change the game for us.
Other times - particularly when we're behind but playing OK - I feel he can try and change too much too soon, leading to us just petering out or giving up a clinching goal.
But maybe with five subs, he'll be able to tap into 'good Karl' a little more often!

It does make squad depth that much more important.

But the best thing about this rule is that it hopefully will mean more minutes for some of our promising youngsters at the ends of games.......

Honestly, I feel that KR is a little all over the place when it comes to subs.

Sometimes he gets it absolutely right and brings people on who change the game for us.
Other times - particularly when we're behind but playing OK - I feel he can try and change too much too soon, leading to us just petering out or giving up a clinching goal.
But maybe with five subs, he'll be able to tap into 'good Karl' a little more often!

It does make squad depth that much more important.

But the best thing about this rule is that it hopefully will mean more minutes for some of our promising youngsters at the ends of games.......
At least he won't be able to bring Winnall on. That only worked once

I'm not sure about this myself.

I agree it'll likely be good news for us this season, as we look like we'll have a decent squad and a strong bench.

However, I do think it unfairly favours teams with higher budgets and will likely increase the gap between the top and bottom of each league.

Also (and I know it's unlikely) but if both teams use all 5 subs individually then that would take a total of around 15-20 minutes? Which I think is unlikely to be added to the end of the game.

It can also badly disrupt the flow of a game and be abused for time wasting.

But maybe I'm just looking too much at the possible negatives?

Also (and I know it's unlikely) but if both teams use all 5 subs individually then that would take a total of around 15-20 minutes? Which I think is unlikely to be added to the end of the game.

It can also badly disrupt the flow of a game and be abused for time wasting.
The subs can't be made individually, that was never the case. A maximum of 3 occasions can be used to swap out players, for the precise reason you mention above.

Back
Top Bottom