Matches B Team Boycott.........

Completely understand the boycott mentality, and that we shouldn't get too 'into it' for fear of B teams becoming a real possibility in the lower leagues.

That being said, I looked up the Chelsea youth team that beat us 3-0 in 2017/2018.

Reece James
Ethan Ampadu
Callum Hudson-Odoi

If they have any future stars like that this time, it's a good opportunity for us to show ourselves as a good loan option for them this/next season.

And a good test for any youngsters we want to test (and I do hope we use these sort of matches for youngsters, glad to hear Stevens is likely to be given a go between the sticks)

Completely understand the boycott mentality, and that we shouldn't get too 'into it' for fear of B teams becoming a real possibility in the lower leagues.

That being said, I looked up the Chelsea youth team that beat us 3-0 in 2017/2018.

Reece James
Ethan Ampadu
Callum Hudson-Odoi

If they have any future stars like that this time, it's a good opportunity for us to show ourselves as a good loan option for them this/next season.

And a good test for any youngsters we want to test (and I do hope we use these sort of matches for youngsters, glad to hear Stevens is likely to be given a go between the sticks)

Given this, there is argument that the benefits of having B teams play competitive games is wirking as 2 of these are now full internationals and the other a key premier league 1st teamer. Did playing in the checkatrade expedite thier development and route to firstt team football? Whatever the thoughts of us lower league fans, i fear it is here to stay

That was a knockout round. Group games for U21s are always away. And I think they might have made that the case for all matches now.
Yes - we wouldn't want the Prem clubs to have to shoulder the expense of stewards, floodlights etc. and lose money on the night would we.

Reece James
Ethan Ampadu
Callum Hudson-Odoi

I lost any ability or willingness to accept it on any level at all, personally, when they didn’t just let Academy teams in but kept the ruling that said us paupers would be fined unless we put out sides that met a certain criteria, in terms of the number of players starting the game who played in either the last or next league match etc. Nobody plays more games than the clubs in L1 and L2 and for them to bring in Academy sides, and then tell us common folk that we have to flog our players so that some top tier teens get as much experience against adults as possible, is pretty outrageous. What about the young players of our own that we might want to pit against players from higher up the chain in the form of said Academy teams, in order to aid their development?

Luton putting out whatever team they wanted and continually taking the fine, despite the fact that their kids kept winning, showed the whole thing up as a farce. Fining lower league teams who are barely breaking even every time they’re forced to host one of these games anyway, just because they dared to give their own young players a look in. How beneficial. And I’m not sure I quite agree with the idea that we should be somehow grateful for the chance of using this competition to flash a bit of leg at Reece James, in case he fancies a loan move because he’s surprised we can play football. Think the idea that lower league clubs should be impressing pampered teens, rather than the other way around, is a little backwards.

Given this, there is argument that the benefits of having B teams play competitive games is wirking as 2 of these are now full internationals and the other a key premier league 1st teamer. Did playing in the checkatrade expedite thier development and route to firstt team football? Whatever the thoughts of us lower league fans, i fear it is here to stay
Well if it is working, it is (by your examples) working for Prem teams and their players. I'd suggest that the pitifully low crowds for this competition since the introduction of U23/U21 B teams shows that it is not working for anyone else.
I think the only way it would benefit lower league teams now is to dispense with any rules about which players can and cannot play and allow teams like us to use the competition to develop our own youngsters, give minutes to fringe players, those coming back from injury etc.
I notice it's the EFL Trophy this year - they couldn't even find a sponsor for it, which says something!

I lost any ability or willingness to accept it on any level at all, personally, when they didn’t just let Academy teams in but kept the ruling that said us paupers would be fined unless we put out sides that met a certain criteria, in terms of the number of players starting the game who played in either the last or next league match etc. Nobody plays more games than the clubs in L1 and L2 and for them to bring in Academy sides, and then tell us common folk that we have to flog our players so that some top tier teens get as much experience against adults as possible, is pretty outrageous. What about the young players of our own that we might want to pit against players from higher up the chain in the form of said Academy teams, in order to aid their development?

Luton putting out whatever team they wanted and continually taking the fine, despite the fact that their kids kept winning, showed the whole thing up as a farce. Fining lower league teams who are barely breaking even every time they’re forced to host one of these games anyway, just because they dared to give their own young players a look in. How beneficial. And I’m not sure I quite agree with the idea that we should be somehow grateful for the chance of using this competition to flash a bit of leg at Reece James, in case he fancies a loan move because he’s surprised we can play football. Think the idea that lower league clubs should be impressing pampered teens, rather than the other way around, is a little backwards.

I should clarify that I'm not a fan of the competition as is. I'd be slightly more comfortable if Dev teams weren't allowed to qualify from group stages, and therefore have a chance of winning the competition. But I'd be even happier if they weren't involved at all.

I notice it's the EFL Trophy this year - they couldn't even find a sponsor for it, which says something!
Not surprised. They couldn’t even be bothered to play the final of last season’s competition. What must that say about what the EFL thinks of its value, let alone anyone they’re expecting to stump up for naming rights?

I'd be slightly more comfortable if Dev teams weren't allowed to qualify from group stages, and therefore have a chance of winning the competition.
I’m personally desperate for at least one Academy team to make the final, if not two of them. I think that might be when even those who are perfectly fine with it suddenly go, “Hang on a minute...”

Well if it is working, it is (by your examples) working for Prem teams and their players. I'd suggest that the pitifully low crowds for this competition since the introduction of U23/U21 B teams shows that it is not working for anyone else.
I think the only way it would benefit lower league teams now is to dispense with any rules about which players can and cannot play and allow teams like us to use the competition to develop our own youngsters, give minutes to fringe players, those coming back from injury etc.
Agree! Problem is the prize money is good for us!

I’m personally desperate for at least one Academy team to make the final, if not two of them. I think that might be when even those who are perfectly fine with it suddenly go, “Hang on a minute...”
I don't think so. It will just be another game of football I don't watch because it doesn't feature Oxford.

For anyone that vaguely cares about the B team we'll be facing. I see no-one in that squad is mature enough to accept the '69' shirt...

I won't be watching tonight, but will probably catch up on highlights if anyone is talked about as being particularly impressive.

Actually work with the guy who runs the Chelsea Youth site/Twitter. Got a bit fed up with the first team side of it all and decided he'd prefer to watch the development side and youth team instead. *Puts on flat cap* Can't say I blame him given silly money involved at the highest level in the game today.

Of all the youth teams to watch at this stage they're one of the most interesting given the amount of players they develop that tend to make it at least somewhere in the professional game (prior to the last couple of seasons normally anywhere but Chelsea). Saying all that, afraid paying £10 for this is likewise, silly money.

I don't think there's too much of a benefit, Chelsea have enough youth players to name plenty of sides, so it's almost inevitable that some of them would break through to the first team. If players are coming through, I don't think it's because they play three games a season in this competition. I mean, look at Liverpool. Only in the past couple of seasons have they entered the competition, but already they were bringing through the likes of Trent, Williams, Jones and Brewster.

Also, it's worth noting that if any young players do show promise, they're unlikely to play in the EFL Trophy as they'd be playing for their international youth side at the same time this competition is being played.

Reading the Ox Mail, at least Jack Stevens appears to be starting tonight's game which is a good thing as it gives him a chance to put pressure on Easty for the Lg games.

Back
Top Bottom