B******t from the boardroom?

Lunny and Johnson may well have been promised to stay by DE in the interviews, but both expressed a desire to leave and were being awkward to get what they want. It would annoy me as a manager to have that talent leave, but player power such as it is, the club were in an impossible position.

Hopefully all this takeover BS is over for the moment and we can concentrate on making the squad better. It can only settle the club down and refocus everyone. It might calm down some of the skittish fans for a hot minute

The problem we have, as most clubs do, is perception

At the start of the season ticket prices were hiked to increase the playing budget. The perception being that we were going for promotion

Pep is probably sold the job on the basis that we’re going places, too. His appointment, at the time, was a real coup because he was highly-rated. So the perception was maintained.

Unfortunately we then sold the captain and Johnson. This was at odds with the goal surely?

So too was the recruitment. It was not what a typical promotion team would do. None of the transfer money was spent. Again, this was against the perception of a club that was going for it.

So now at a crucial stage of the season there is angst and much gnashing if teeth because the perception is that we should be doing much better.

But in reality, with players lost, money not spent, injuries and a limited group of players we are actually doing okay position wise.

So why can’t we see that? Well, probably because no one quite has the guts to say what we are. We’re a club that loses about 100k (?) a month which desperately needs cash injection to punch above its weight.

The waters are muddied because for the past 2 seasons we were a club which invested big thanks to Eales.

But now he has decided (no criticism) that he can’t do that anymore we have been shocked back to the humdrum days.

Eales is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t. If he doesn’t say we’re going for it, ticket sales suffer and we don’t attract a bright, young manager.

But if he’s been a little more honest then he might find the culture at the club was more positive and there would be more of the ‘in this together’ attitude running through fan base and staff.

Tough call, though.

I suspect, strongly, that Pep feels sold down the river. My guess is that if he’s not backed in January then he will resign. It will probably save his managerial career.

Not such a disaster. We need, for this level, a pragmatic manager. An organiser. A Hodgson type. Or Wilder of old. With no cash, it’s our best chance of punching above our weight
You are correct with pep and his position. He wont hang about if he's not backed

Lunny and Johnson may well have been promised to stay by DE in the interviews, but both expressed a desire to leave and were being awkward to get what they want. It would annoy me as a manager to have that talent leave, but player power such as it is, the club were in an impossible position.

Hopefully all this takeover BS is over for the moment and we can concentrate on making the squad better. It can only settle the club down and refocus everyone. It might calm down some of the skittish fans for a hot minute
I think if it was over, we would have been told so. As with the sartori deal

It's not as black and white as suggested...we all know that DE said Marv was not for sale...club approach was they didn't WANT to do it rather than would but circumstances changed as with COD that should be read into what was said.
Your best asset is always NOT for sale ;-)

Back
Top Bottom