B******t from the boardroom?

If he didn’t want Payne then why build the way you play around him?
If he didn’t want Henry then why play Hall on his weaker side to fit him in?
I guess you have to play the deck of cards you've been dealt!

Last edited:
From Pep’s last few comments in the press having little digs at the club over selling Lunny and Johnson then he will do well to keep his job to be able to sign some new players!

It’s his tactics, he asks the players to play at a slow tempo so maybe he should stop trying to shift the blame and except it’s up to him to get us back to getting results.

Wonder if Pep is playing the "led up the garden path" card...

Pep:

“Since I came here the first thing the club did was to sell (John) Lundstram and Marvin Johnson, despite saying they would not do it.

“So you have to be prepared in case something happens.”

From Pep’s last few comments in the press having little digs at the club over selling Lunny and Johnson then he will do well to keep his job to be able to sign some new players!

It’s his tactics, he asks the players to play at a slow tempo so maybe he should stop trying to shift the blame and except it’s up to him to get us back to getting results.

I guess you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but I agree Pep needs to take some of the blame.

Wonder if Pep is playing the "led up the garden path" card...

Pep:

“Since I came here the first thing the club did was to sell (John) Lundstram and Marvin Johnson, despite saying they would not do it.

Where have these comments been made by Pep?

You can see his frustration, if you sign for a club and the two key players go. But that's the Transfer Window for you.

Is this Pep having a pop? Sounds like he's insinuating he was sold a bit of a bum steer when he arrived...

Edit: Oops beat me to it East Stand Boy!

I just wonder if this transfer window will see cracks appear in Peps and DEs relationship. The chairman talks of bringing in 2 to 3 players, I know that was before the Wigan debacle so he might see things differently now, but I suspect the coach would be looking for more additions than that.

It’s a challenging time at the moment, I just hope we leave January in a stronger more cohesive position than when we enter it. I do wonder with some of Peps recent comments whether he’d walk away if he felt he was lacking the support needed from above

I think it's worth pointing out that the "unearthing gems" strategy bears a risk, one that the club is all too aware of. Many have worked out brilliantly but others (Hemmings?) and this summer's lot don't seem to be delivering, mostly because they look like short-term fixes, not potential money-makers. We were all clamouring for McAleny to sign a permanent deal but everyone would be slagging him off as a has-been crock after this season's (lack of) performance. Every signing is a gamble.

When I asked Pep privately after the fans forum about there being funds available to bring players in, he responded by saying "if there are funds available I haven't seen them or put it this way I'd like to see them"
Funny he divulged that information to you personally and you've waited this long to share it though?

I just wonder if this transfer window will see cracks appear in Peps and DEs relationship. The chairman talks of bringing in 2 to 3 players, I know that was before the Wigan debacle so he might see things differently now, but I suspect the coach would be looking for more additions than that.

TBH I don't think more than two or three players are needed. One right-back, one creative forward in the Hall mould, possibly one centre-back. Of those, the first is most pressing due to the loss of Ribeiro and the fact Tiendalli is only here till the end of the season (I think he would still be absolutely fine as back-up with Carroll as the one for the future). The other two may only be loans, we have Pekalski to come back and plenty in midfield but creativity without Hall is lacking. Similar at the back with Raglan to come back.

If we wanted to go full tilt at promotion, that's a different matter however...

EDIT: Or if you're feeling brave...Carroll with a run of games at right-back to see if he grows into the role, with Tiendalli/AN Other as backup.

Last edited:
I think it's worth pointing out that the "unearthing gems" strategy bears a risk, one that the club is all too aware of. Many have worked out brilliantly but others (Hemmings?) and this summer's lot don't seem to be delivering, mostly because they look like short-term fixes, not potential money-makers. We were all clamouring for McAleny to sign a permanent deal but everyone would be slagging him off as a has-been crock after this season's (lack of) performance. Every signing is a gamble.

It’s always a gamble for the player too. Who knows, had McAleny decided to stick with us he could be on 20 goals now with a host of Championship club scouts watching him..

The problem we have, as most clubs do, is perception

At the start of the season ticket prices were hiked to increase the playing budget. The perception being that we were going for promotion

Pep is probably sold the job on the basis that we’re going places, too. His appointment, at the time, was a real coup because he was highly-rated. So the perception was maintained.

Unfortunately we then sold the captain and Johnson. This was at odds with the goal surely?

So too was the recruitment. It was not what a typical promotion team would do. None of the transfer money was spent. Again, this was against the perception of a club that was going for it.

So now at a crucial stage of the season there is angst and much gnashing if teeth because the perception is that we should be doing much better.

But in reality, with players lost, money not spent, injuries and a limited group of players we are actually doing okay position wise.

So why can’t we see that? Well, probably because no one quite has the guts to say what we are. We’re a club that loses about 100k (?) a month which desperately needs cash injection to punch above its weight.

The waters are muddied because for the past 2 seasons we were a club which invested big thanks to Eales.

But now he has decided (no criticism) that he can’t do that anymore we have been shocked back to the humdrum days.

Eales is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t. If he doesn’t say we’re going for it, ticket sales suffer and we don’t attract a bright, young manager.

But if he’s been a little more honest then he might find the culture at the club was more positive and there would be more of the ‘in this together’ attitude running through fan base and staff.

Tough call, though.

I suspect, strongly, that Pep feels sold down the river. My guess is that if he’s not backed in January then he will resign. It will probably save his managerial career.

Not such a disaster. We need, for this level, a pragmatic manager. An organiser. A Hodgson type. Or Wilder of old. With no cash, it’s our best chance of punching above our weight

The problem we have, as most clubs do, is perception

At the start of the season ticket prices were hiked to increase the playing budget. The perception being that we were going for promotion

Pep is probably sold the job on the basis that we’re going places, too. His appointment, at the time, was a real coup because he was highly-rated. So the perception was maintained.

Unfortunately we then sold the captain and Johnson. This was at odds with the goal surely?

So too was the recruitment. It was not what a typical promotion team would do. None of the transfer money was spent. Again, this was against the perception of a club that was going for it.

So now at a crucial stage of the season there is angst and much gnashing if teeth because the perception is that we should be doing much better.

But in reality, with players lost, money not spent, injuries and a limited group of players we are actually doing okay position wise.

So why can’t we see that? Well, probably because no one quite has the guts to say what we are. We’re a club that loses about 100k (?) a month which desperately needs cash injection to punch above its weight.

The waters are muddied because for the past 2 seasons we were a club which invested big thanks to Eales.

But now he has decided (no criticism) that he can’t do that anymore we have been shocked back to the humdrum days.

Eales is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t. If he doesn’t say we’re going for it, ticket sales suffer and we don’t attract a bright, young manager.

But if he’s been a little more honest then he might find the culture at the club was more positive and there would be more of the ‘in this together’ attitude running through fan base and staff.

Tough call, though.

I suspect, strongly, that Pep feels sold down the river. My guess is that if he’s not backed in January then he will resign. It will probably save his managerial career.

Not such a disaster. We need, for this level, a pragmatic manager. An organiser. A Hodgson type. Or Wilder of old. With no cash, it’s our best chance of punching above our weight

But in most businesses aren't they striving to move forwards?

TBH I don't think more than two or three players are needed. One right-back, one creative forward in the Hall mould, possibly one centre-back. Of those, the first is most pressing due to the loss of Ribeiro and the fact Tiendalli is only here till the end of the season (I think he would still be absolutely fine as back-up with Carroll as the one for the future). The other two may only be loans, we have Pekalski to come back and plenty in midfield but creativity without Hall is lacking. Similar at the back with Raglan to come back.

If we wanted to go full tilt at promotion, that's a different matter however...

EDIT: Or if you're feeling brave...Carroll with a run of games at right-back to see if he grows into the role, with Tiendalli/AN Other as backup.

We need pacey wingers as well.

It's not as black and white as suggested...we all know that DE said Marv was not for sale...club approach was they didn't WANT to do it rather than would but circumstances changed as with COD that should be read into what was said.

At the time, there was a takeover being mooted, and my guess is the buyer was advised to lowball due to Eales allegedly running out of cash and the inherent operating losses of the club. When a bid of rumoured 2.5 million for Johnson and half a million for Lundstram comes in, this puts off problem 1 and 2 for at least a season and gives Eales space to look for other buyers. As said above, players may not be "for sale", but put a good enough bid in and anyone can be sold.

Also with Tiger and potentially others presumably still sniffing around, I doubt Eales will want Pep to spend significant money on players when a new owner might want a new manager and different players, and that 'investment' would be wasted, because let's face it hardly any of Pep's signings look like attracting decent transfer bids.

Back
Top Bottom