Atmosphere

Not sure why a club should be expected to pander to a group of supporters to be honest. I also believe that if there is anything sinister in the stewarding then that is wrong too and should not be tolerated by the club but surely the whole purpose of any fan (whether they seem to consider themselves superior to everyone else or not) is to get behind the team. Forget the flags argument, if they sing and get behind the club when there are flags why is is different if there is not ?

I think we all need to remember that all paying fans are the same and no group should expect some sort of special treatment

Just my view

Thanks for your view Mr Mixter.

Not sure why a club should be expected to pander to a group of supporters to be honest. I also believe that if there is anything sinister in the stewarding then that is wrong too and should not be tolerated by the club but surely the whole purpose of any fan (whether they seem to consider themselves superior to everyone else or not) is to get behind the team. Forget the flags argument, if they sing and get behind the club when there are flags why is is different if there is not ?

I think we all need to remember that all paying fans are the same and no group should expect some sort of special treatment

Just my view
The Ultras are predominantly guys in the late teens and early twenties. Not only do they bring some desperately needed energy and passion to our sterile stadium and ageing fan base, but they encourage younger fans who are 10, 12, 14 to support the club and make it special. You can see the younger fans in the East Stand want to be a part of it - I definitely would have at their age.

Clearly the club isn’t particularly arsed about encouraging and supporting our younger fans, who give up their spare time and money to bring a little colour and excitement.

Just don’t be surprised to see the club dwindle as the older generation no longer attends games and the next generation aren’t particularly arsed. It’s an expensive hobby, and particularly for younger generations in tough economic times, and the club should be creating a real community, rather than running the ground like a nightclub.

Lots of very good things still happen at OUFC despite some of the persistent cynicism on here - this situation however is a massive own goal.

I actually think the volume I should better when we sing, but it's fairly rare without the Ultras aren't there or someone to instigate it.

The Ultras are predominantly guys in the late teens and early twenties. Not only do they bring some desperately needed energy and passion to our sterile stadium and ageing fan base, but they encourage younger fans who are 10, 12, 14 to support the club and make it special. You can see the younger fans in the East Stand want to be a part of it - I definitely would have at their age.

Lots of very good things still happen at OUFC despite some of the persistent cynicism on here - this situation however is a massive own goal.

Not sure how removing all the flags and leaving a game early when things are not going well is sending the right message to these younger fans.

I thought the idea was to encourage support through the tough times, not just the good times.

I think you'll find that the reason they left the Wigan game early had nothing to do with the result, and everything to do with their treatment by the stewards.

Although I think they can sometimes come accross as a bit precious, they are mostly kids and should be encouraged, not hassled at every turn. What they do is a modern day equivalent to the old days of having an end, without the violence. Kids will look at it as a bit edgy and want to be involved, just as many of my generation looked at the end taking of the seventies. And guess what, most of my generation got the bug through that, and are still here.

I fear this may be one own goal too far and the Ultras may not be back. I hope I'm wrong because home games are worse experiences without them. We have a soulless venue as it is, without making it worse by driving away the very people trying to do something about it.

Bang on Colin. In the 70s we looked up to the lads in the London Road and aspired to be like them. The kids these days should have someone to look up to at the games, obviously not the violence, but the singing and comaraderie that goes with football fans having a good time.

I agree the atmosphere has taken a palpable downturn since then.

I obviously do not know the ins and outs of what went on and I do hope something can be sorted soon.

I think you ex-hooligans are missing the point. Football's not about atmosphere in the future - it's about getting the train to a mall-like venue where you can have a choice of Nandos, KFC, and other authentic cuisines before settling into a comfy seat with a nice blanket and watching this season's crop of bought-in stars perform passionately on your behalf. The Ultras just don't fit in modern football, God bless them.

Sadly I think you're right Paul.

It's already happening. As you know, where I sit we have a constant stream of people getting up through the game to go and buy food and drink. When they've eaten or drank it they then get up again to go to the toilet. What's wrong with these people, it's a bloody football match, not Raymond Blanc's nine course tasting menu at Le Manoir. Can't they go without food, drink, a P**s, etc for an hour and a half and just watch the game?

Back in the day these sort of people, if they did come to games, were in the Beech Rd seats, leaving those of us in the London Rd to get on with watching the game uninterrupted, now they are everywhere and amongst us aided and abetted by the modern day football authorities and their "security team" lackeys..

Sadly I think you're right Paul.

It's already happening. As you know, where I sit we have a constant stream of people getting up through the game to go and buy food and drink. When they've eaten or drank it they then get up again to go to the toilet. What's wrong with these people, it's a bloody football match, not Raymond Blanc's nine course tasting menu at Le Manoir. Can't they go without food, drink, a P**s, etc for an hour and a half and just watch the game?

Back in the day these sort of people, if they did come to games, were in the Beech Rd seats, leaving those of us in the London Rd to get on with watching the game uninterrupted, now they are everywhere and amongst us aided and abetted by the modern day football authorities and their "security team" lackeys..
I’ve started sending them along the stand ur way, rather than past me ?. Bloke in front yesterday always leaves early sit in an aisle seats but insists on walking along back along the row to shake hands with his mates before he goes. It’s like a bloody Mexican wave.

The amount of young talent we have at the club leads me to think that we have a very realistic chance of promotion in the near future. Ive always been realistic about Preston and i seriously think that we have a chance and also, id much rather live in Preston than Oxford like im not all about them posh pricks and people drinking tea with their little finger up just not for me. Guess your too soft to live up north :ROFLMAO:
I’ve started sending them along the stand ur way, rather than past me ?. Bloke in front yesterday always leaves early sit in an aisle seats but insists on walking along back along the row to shake hands with his mates before he goes. It’s like a bloody Mexican wave.

We had three separate people yesterday come past us, and then climb up a row or down a row once they were past us. Then you get the ones wandering in late, holding a print at home ticket, and I just know they'll walk along our row, even if it's not where their seats are. Sometimes I think there must be a bloody great big "walk this way" sign above my head!!!!

You never had this s**t in the London Rd.

Back when it started with flags going up at the back of the East Stand it was easy and not too much hassle. Two/three of us would meet early, speak to Howard and then go into the cupboard under the East Stand where we had the flags. It used to take bloody ages but we’d have time to finish up and head to the Priory for a few drinks.

No hassle or anything, the Stewards would be sat having their morning briefing and we’d just crack on. I think the only time we ever got any grief was the first scum home game when a few of us ended up over the back waving flags and jumping around etc. Nothing major just politely reminded not to do it again. There were literally a handful of us actually involved in making banners and organising displays.

Over the last couple of years it really seemed to grow and whilst a few of us involved a few years back don’t really attend or get involved I think it would be a real shame to see it die off due to overzealous stewarding or a new stance by the club.

Blimey I thought Lanegan was a bit of an old moaner but we never had issues. Yeah sometimes one or two people past and present can come across as precious but at the end of the day it’s quite often their time and money being spent for the benefit (ok that’s up to you to decide) of everyone who supports OUFC.

We have a ground that is completely devoid of colour and atmosphere more often than not and to lose the one group who have tried to improve it would, IMO have a detrimental impact on the match day experience for younger fans.

I remember standing at the back there singing and kids, young teenagers would spend more time looking at the flags and listening to the songs than the game. Our football isn’t exciting and as we have discussed plenty the match day experience isn’t great at all. This improved it for the ‘fans of tomorrow’.

Guess we’ll see what happens.

Back when it started with flags going up at the back of the East Stand it was easy and not too much hassle. Two/three of us would meet early, speak to Howard and then go into the cupboard under the East Stand where we had the flags. It used to take bloody ages but we’d have time to finish up and head to the Priory for a few drinks.

No hassle or anything, the Stewards would be sat having their morning briefing and we’d just crack on. I think the only time we ever got any grief was the first scum home game when a few of us ended up over the back waving flags and jumping around etc. Nothing major just politely reminded not to do it again. There were literally a handful of us actually involved in making banners and organising displays.

Over the last couple of years it really seemed to grow and whilst a few of us involved a few years back don’t really attend or get involved I think it would be a real shame to see it die off due to overzealous stewarding or a new stance by the club.

Blimey I thought Lanegan was a bit of an old moaner but we never had issues. Yeah sometimes one or two people past and present can come across as precious but at the end of the day it’s quite often their time and money being spent for the benefit (ok that’s up to you to decide) of everyone who supports OUFC.

We have a ground that is completely devoid of colour and atmosphere more often than not and to lose the one group who have tried to improve it would, IMO have a detrimental impact on the match day experience for younger fans.

I remember standing at the back there singing and kids, young teenagers would spend more time looking at the flags and listening to the songs than the game. Our football isn’t exciting and as we have discussed plenty the match day experience isn’t great at all. This improved it for the ‘fans of tomorrow’.

Guess we’ll see what happens.
Come to the meeting on Wednesday. And get some direct answers and solutions from de and nm

My time has sort of been and gone regards to that as i've said. We had plenty of interaction with IL, OxVox and KT in years gone by including attending the open meetings etc. Perhaps those that are involved now will attend but they have in previous seasons had fairly frequent lines of communication anyway (Flag Gate 1).

Perhaps some of them have found other things to spend their money on and do on a Saturday a bit like we did and this has been a contributing factor instead.

My time has sort of been and gone regards to that as i've said. We had plenty of interaction with IL, OxVox and KT in years gone by including attending the open meetings etc. Perhaps those that are involved now will attend but they have in previous seasons had fairly frequent lines of communication anyway (Flag Gate 1).

Perhaps some of them have found other things to spend their money on and do on a Saturday a bit like we did and this has been a contributing factor instead.
It’s a face to face meeting with nowhere to hide for the people involved. I know Oxvox asked for the ultras to attend the last meeting with Ian mixter and no one went. If they/you feel the club are making it difficult then someone has to attend and make ur feeling known. It’s ok pulling the banners down and saying the club are making it difficult. But this is a meeting for exactly this sort of issue, if u want things to get better, and find a solution then u won’t get a better opportunity

It’s a face to face meeting with nowhere to hide for the people involved. I know Oxvox asked for the ultras to attend the last meeting with Ian mixter and no one went. If they/you feel the club are making it difficult then someone has to attend and make ur feeling known. It’s ok pulling the banners down and saying the club are making it difficult. But this is a meeting for exactly this sort of issue, if u want things to get better, and find a solution then u won’t get a better opportunity

It wouldn't be any use me or the lads I went with going as i'm the only one to have gone to a game all season and that's only twice. I do agree that someone should attend and make their point in front of other fans etc. Perhaps if they share their issues/thoughts directly in front of people that don't know what goes on it will be harder for certain people to wriggle out of it. Assuming the club are making it difficult....

I was more highlighting how it worked a few seasons ago and that if (as has been suggested) problems are being made by the club/stewards then it is a shame.

Have the Ultras (from memory, LucaBrasi and TBFUTH?) signed up here since the forum moved?

Back
Top Bottom