Arsenal & "Global" Money..................

Essexyellows

From the share offer.... "Mr Kroenke acquired a 40 per cent. stake in the Los Angeles Rams in 1995, as the NFL returned to St. Louis. He received unanimous approval by NFL owners in 2010 to purchase the remaining 60 per cent. of the franchise and, in 2016, NFL owners approved the relocation of the Rams to Los Angeles."

Easy to see why the Arsenal Supporters Trust are feeling concerned.

Next step to "Global Leagues" and season tickets for the telly................ :rolleyes::cry:

I'll say the same thing I said about Manchester United when the Glazers took over, and they got all up in arms - no point complaining now, it's far too late. The time to make a fuss was when Arsenal first became a publicly traded company and/or when Kroenke first tried to get his foot in the door.

But of course at that time, it provided a nice cash injection and probably financed a couple of new signings, so no one complained.

I'll say the same thing I said about Manchester United when the Glazers took over, and they got all up in arms - no point complaining now, it's far too late. The time to make a fuss was when Arsenal first became a publicly traded company and/or when Kroenke first tried to get his foot in the door.

But of course at that time, it provided a nice cash injection and probably financed a couple of new signings, so no one complained.

They won’t be publicly traded much longer …

They won’t be publicly traded much longer …

Sure, but my point is that when you publicly list, you're setting yourself up for this possibility - that some opportunist who smells a profit can engineer their way to own the club, and there's nothing the fans can do about it.

When a club is privately held, and changes hands, fans probably still don't have a whole lot of influence - but at least they can make a bit of a ruckus and maybe even make the parties think twice.

Someone like Kroenke is never going to blink in the face of fans' protests. You should hear some of the things that were said to him in St. Louis.
But maybe, just maybe, if the club's in the hand of some wealthy old fan or family, then the fans can dissuade them from a sale to someone as transparently out for profit, with no particular affection for the club. Once the club is public, that opportunity is gone.

I`m just waiting for the first "Private Owner" to move a PL club to somewhere like Dubai. Kroenke didn`t think much about moving St Louis 1,600 miles or so.

"Oh but its in the rules" you say............ the rules get burnt for £££££`s. See "Financial Fair Play".

The game is being taken further away from its roots than ever.

US sports are franchises, so easier to move - and with the Rams, the sport has had a long term desire to fail again in the LA market. I don't see Arsenal moving lock, stock and barrel. I do think this could be a way to spread the debt of building the new stadium in LA that the Rams are building onto a cash cow elsewhere.

Arsenal ....or as they were originally known Woolwich Arsenal....already have something of a history for relocating....many years ago moving from South of the water to North London ( into Spuds territory)..... yes, Arsenal supporters trust should be worried:eek:

Of all the things that people should look at German football and envy (and there are several), the 50+1 rule is definitely the biggest. It doesn't make something like what Kroenke is doing impossible (Bayer could take Leverkusen and move them, I suppose...ditto Volkswagen and Wolfsburg) but it does make it extremely hard.

I`m just waiting for the first "Private Owner" to move a PL club to somewhere like Dubai. Kroenke didn`t think much about moving St Louis 1,600 miles or so.

"Oh but its in the rules" you say............ the rules get burnt for £££££`s. See "Financial Fair Play".

And who would they play in Dubai? And who would go watch them?

People "going" no longer matter.
They could have a pitch surrounded by opulent boxes for the mega rich & stream the irrelevant kick about to peoples "virtual season ticket" device.

...exactly why I've never been part of the passive acceptance of MK Dons.

People "going" no longer matter.
They could have a pitch surrounded by opulent boxes for the mega rich & stream the irrelevant kick about to peoples "virtual season ticket" device.

I see. And as to who they would actually play? Or doesn’t that matter either?

Apart from the sheer devilment of pointing out that Kroenke didn't move St. Louis, even Elon Musk would struggle to move a city, there is a point worth making - he moved the formerly LA Rams back to LA.

The Los Angeles Rams are a professional American football team that play in the National Football League (NFL). The Rams franchise was founded in 1936 as the Cleveland Rams in the short-lived second American Football League before joining the NFL the next year. In 1946, the franchise moved to Los Angeles. The Rams franchise remained in the metro area until 1994, when they moved to St. Louis, and were known as the St. Louis Rams from 1995 to 2015. The Rams franchise returned to Los Angeles in 2016. This article chronicles the franchise's history during their time in Los Angeles, from playing at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum between 1946 and 1979, to playing at Anaheim Stadium (now known as Angel Stadium of Anaheim) in Anaheim from 1980 to 1994, and its return to Southern California beginning with the 2016 season.

Why anyone should care is beyond me, though.

I see. And as to who they would actually play? Or doesn’t that matter either?

They would just play who ever else gets into the "Global Mega League" subject to how much ££££££`s they have.

Apart from the sheer devilment of pointing out that Kroenke didn't move St. Louis, even Elon Musk would struggle to move a city, there is a point worth making - he moved the formerly LA Rams back to LA.

Why anyone should care is beyond me, though.

Bigger picture @PC bigger picture old bean................. ever since we took part in the first PTV game the gap has grown wider & faster......

Was thinking about the LA Rams, thought I'd written an encomium on your general thrust (if I may be so bold). My bad.

I`m just waiting for the first "Private Owner" to move a PL club to somewhere like Dubai.

Yeah, doubt the first person to try it will do so with Arsenal, though.

Alongside Man U, Arsenal get the biggest matchday revenues of any club in the country with their fancy stadium full of bankers and lawyers paying obscene prices for a season ticket.

It's when someone like Kroenke buys a Watford or a Crystal Palace that you oughta look out.

Back
Top Bottom