Argyle sack Derek Adams

swolley

A strange move with 1 game to go, but their forum suggests it is needed to unite everyone for the final match against scunny that they need to win

very arrogant - declined to speak to the press after yesterdays thrashing - fans wanted him out - though have to say its a risk with one game to go

Probably the best decision. The players will want to do it for him or their new manager.
Steve Lovell was a stranger one

Wonder if Mick Harford will go if they los3 their next two and stay in L1

Michael Appleton would be a good choice for Argyle.

He would need to be given time though, the type of manager who builds a club.

Appleton needed a season at Oxford before we started to see the benefits of the ground work. Would be a good fit at Plymouth if the fans & board are prepared to be patient.

Whoever goes there will probably not have a great knowledge of the current squad and yet clearly a rebuilding job will be needed regardless of which division they are in next season.

Who on here said he wouldn't get the sack as he's got four years left on contract

I think I’m correct in saying that the bottom 11 teams in League 1 have all had a change of manager this season except for Wycombe.

Who on here said he wouldn't get the sack as he's got four years left on contract

It was me who said about the 4 years on the contract. I talked about whether they could afford to, as he was supposed to be on a good salary as well, or whether the cost of lost season ticket sales (he was already having a significant effect if their forum is to be believed) with Derek Adams and being in L2 meant they had to.

Somebody on 5 Live the other week was explaining that in many cases if a manager is sacked it is written into the contract that they are 'only ' entitled to one years salary, regardless if the length of contract left.
So the example given was Alan Pardew who was given a 10 year contract at Newcastle but didn't last that long. He wasnt entitled to 8 years salary or however long was left on his contract.
I suspect that the contracts are written differently but doubt if Adams is entitled to 4 years salary.

Somebody on 5 Live the other week was explaining that in many cases if a manager is sacked it is written into the contract that they are 'only ' entitled to one years salary, regardless if the length of contract left.
So the example given was Alan Pardew who was given a 10 year contract at Newcastle but didn't last that long. He wasnt entitled to 8 years salary or however long was left on his contract.
I suspect that the contracts are written differently but doubt if Adams is entitled to 4 years salary.

The suggestion is the previous owner, who signed Adams up to the contract, gave it as a "leaving" present as he was looking to get out anyway so it was very favourable to Adams. Adams was also in a strong negotiating position as well considering promotion and then getting into the play offs (or near them, can't remember which) in their 1st L1 season.

Yes they took close to 900 to Stanley , and from what I seen they was not very happy fans!
It is a big move to sack DA , and may just give them that edge to get the win against Scunthorpe United.

Well it sure is a shi* or bust sacking.
A manager to come in having to beat Scunthorpe (who at least showed some bottle by coming back from 3 0 to 3 2 on Saturday)

Michael Appleton would be a good choice for Argyle.

He would need to be given time though, the type of manager who builds a club.

Appleton needed a season at Oxford before we started to see the benefits of the ground work. Would be a good fit at Plymouth if the fans & board are prepared to be patient.

Whoever goes there will probably not have a great knowledge of the current squad and yet clearly a rebuilding job will be needed regardless of which division they are in next season.

Argyle are probably not a big enough draw for MAPP as they apparently have a rather limited budget and they always struggle to bring players down there due to their geographical position - I am sure their fans would be delighted to have him but would be surprised if it appealed to him - big come down from Leicester - Holloway and Keith Hill are suggested as they have connections with Argyle then its the usual suspects like Evans and Hurst who get mentions with every appointment now

I also hope they don't drop as have family connections there - though does give me bragging and wind-up rights at the moment

Back
Top Bottom