Are you proud of where you live?

Abingdon will be proud to accept that flood water and collect it in a huge reservoir where we can store it exclusively to help those poor thirsty Londoners with their water shortages.

Bicester is awesome ? we have a big shopping centre on the outskirts which us locals never visit, but we do get to see lots of fancy cars when stuck in the traffic jams it causes every year around Christmas and New Year.

Oh, and we have LOADS of barbers in the town centre.

Abingdon will be proud to accept that flood water and collect it in a huge reservoir where we can store it exclusively to help those poor thirsty Londoners with their water shortages.

They'll be able to pump it direct from the lower parts of Tithe Farm and Caldicott Rd estates.

Headington..... I should say 'yes' to the Q, however, the ongoing, lengthy (seemingly never-ending) access to Headington "improvements" to the part of Headington where I'm based, makes a yes very debatable, making access to the road where Im based akin to a trip twice round the area, just to go out, or get home aint good, and the so called imporovements are/will be as far as I can see so far, going to be the opposite to improvements. I often wonder if traffic/road planners were bullied at school & their inexplicable schemes are their payback to the world? :unsure:.... Of Course, Headington is a suburb of Oxford, so, living in Oxford, its a definite yes;)

being based in South Somerset for generally a few days a week, hard to say..... unlike when in gods county (Oxfordshire), its about 3 miles to the nearest shops, and they only open, it seems when it suits them. Facilities not all that, mobile signal at best intermittent, broadband often temperamental,... countering that, there are Quince trees in the garden here,:p plus, access-wise, its not too bad 15 min from M5, 1/2 mile from A303, so not all bad. Decent local (real) cider easy to obtain :p .... having never been a carrot crunching yokel, instead being an Oxford lad, in comparison to 'home'...there's no comparison IMO, Oxford, despite its faults is a better, much better place to live:cool:

Headington..... I should say 'yes' to the Q, however, the ongoing, lengthy (seemingly never-ending) access to Headington "improvements" to the part of Headington where I'm based, makes a yes very debatable, making access to the road where Im based akin to a trip twice round the area, just to go out, or get home aint good, and the so called imporovements are/will be as far as I can see so far, going to be the opposite to improvements. I often wonder if traffic/road planners were bullied at school & their inexplicable schemes are their payback to the world? :unsure:.... Of Course, Headington is a suburb of Oxford, so, living in Oxford, its a definite yes;)

being based in South Somerset for generally a few days a week, hard to say..... unlike when in gods county (Oxfordshire), its about 3 miles to the nearest shops, and they only open, it seems when it suits them. Facilities not all that, mobile signal at best intermittent, broadband often temperamental,... countering that, there are Quince trees in the garden here,:p plus, access-wise, its not too bad 15 min from M5, 1/2 mile from A303, so not all bad. Decent local (real) cider easy to obtain :p .... having never been a carrot crunching yokel, instead being an Oxford lad, in comparison to 'home'...there's no comparison IMO, Oxford, despite its faults is a better, much better place to live:cool:
I used to live in Headington back in the 90's and liked it a lot.
I am not sure it is quite what it was though?

I used to live in Headington back in the 90's and liked it a lot.
I am not sure it is quite what it was though?
Ive lived in several areas of Headington for most my life ,(Risinghurst, London Road, Quarry and now Headley way area), though not all ( couple of years living on BBLeys and the same in Abingdon, Cumnor for 6 months as well, and off Cowley rd for 8-10 months- the latter 2 before I was school age) , the schools I went to were in Headington too.

It has changed immensely over 60+ years.... in the main not for the better either IMO.... I'd say Headington these days definitely isn't what it was

Bicester is awesome ? we have a big shopping centre on the outskirts which us locals never visit, but we do get to see lots of fancy cars when stuck in the traffic jams it causes every year around Christmas and New Year.

Oh, and we have LOADS of barbers in the town centre.

Traditional Turkish Barbers is Abingdon's speciality it seems.

Having lived in Risinghurst, Slade Camp, Littlemore, Botley, Horspath, and Rose Hill, I guess I can say I've been around. Of the aforementioned I liked Littlemore the best. Horspath was also very friendly but extremely nosy. Everybody knew everything about everybody.
Since I left Oxford I've lived in Holland, Germany, Singapore for a short while, and back to Holland.Singapore is a great city/state, well organised, and with strict rules based on common sense. Not a problem for me. But where I now live in Holland is also very good.
I miss Oxford but I don't think I could afford to live there now. So I'm just an internet Oxonian now.

Our Oxfordshire village is getting two Co-Ops in the next few months. Two! What a time to be alive.

Our village is getting HS2, East West railway and the icing on the cake could be the new Expressway. Lovely jubbly. ?

Ps. But only one Co-op

its a fair co-op ...as someone probably never said :sneaky:

We’ve already got a One Stop so it’s more than a fair Co-Op. it’s certainly put a spring in my step - I might start camping out in my sleeping bag to be the first customer in both new stores.

I have just moved to Bicester to live with my partner.I hate it (the town not my partner) and am finding adjusting from village life, I lived in Standlake, near impossible. I think Bicester is a soul less characterless dump and I long for the fields trees and lakes I left behind. I am probably being unfair but it's a very hard switch to make and fortunately we are not going to be here too long (I hope) and we're going to move to a nearby village away from the noise and concrete. And yes, there's a bloody co-op over the road, with two nasty take aways and more poxy coffee shops and hairdressers than is reasonable for any community.
One saving grace, Peter Goss the butcher and Andy's barbers (the latter I've not visited yet) who are always mentioned on Radio Oxford on Saturdays and is clearly an OUFC supporting establishment.

I have just moved to Bicester to live with my partner.I hate it (the town not my partner) and am finding adjusting from village life, I lived in Standlake, near impossible. I think Bicester is a soul less characterless dump and I long for the fields trees and lakes I left behind. I am probably being unfair but it's a very hard switch to make and fortunately we are not going to be here too long (I hope) and we're going to move to a nearby village away from the noise and concrete. And yes, there's a bloody co-op over the road, with two nasty take aways and more poxy coffee shops and hairdressers than is reasonable for any community.
One saving grace, Peter Goss the butcher and Andy's barbers (the latter I've not visited yet) who are always mentioned on Radio Oxford on Saturdays and is clearly an OUFC supporting establishment.
to avoid the A34 /M40 j9 often gridlocked roads to Oxford/ Oxford ring road from Bicester, theres a b- road route via Ambrosden & Islip (lots of fields that way), which can either bring you to Oxford ring road at Marston flyover (via Woodeaton) or Wheatley (via Forest Hill), then through Horspath and eventually Garsington onto Garsington road ( with even more fields en route).... which gets you to the Breeze Block by avoiding the A roads.... scenic route it is too

Back
Top Bottom