Are you proud of where you live?

I've been privileged to live in what was rural South Oxfordshire for 30-odd years for broadly the same reasons and Mr. River; also to be an Oxford supporter for 15 or so. But South Oxfordshire's becoming a commuter belt and I'll be off when I can shift the estate.

I can't see what's to be proud about living somewhere, but I've enjoyed living round here and Oxfordshire and it's people aren't at all bad for Southron bastards.

Looks like you’ll have to move further north than Woodstock Mr PC to avoid the mass sprawl/urbanisation of the Oxfordshire countryside.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/1...elt-backed-by-planning-inspector/?ref=mr&lp=7

Oh yes, but not so many OUFC as I'm planning to go some way south, away from the sprawl.

Even further down South? Christ, did you murder a judge up there or something?

born in kiddy, then moved to headington, then headington again, then cowley then grove then Marston now in gods own Wheatley, great place to live, can’t big it up enough, if I move it will be to another house in Wheatley, so yes really proud of where I live. Oxford is a fantastic place to live, no wonder tiger wants to sell the brand, he could have gone to Luton.?

born in kiddy, then moved to headington, then headington again, then cowley then grove then Marston now in gods own Wheatley, great place to live, can’t big it up enough, if I move it will be to another house in Wheatley, so yes really proud of where I live. Oxford is a fantastic place to live, no wonder tiger wants to sell the brand, he could have gone to Luton.[emoji23]

Is the underlining a signal that you’re in distress and need rescuing from Wheatley?

Would explain the over-elaborate praising of the village, presumably insisted on by your Wheatley captors.

I've visited Louth a few times as I have in-laws there. It's nice but wouldn't want to live there as it's miles from anywhere.

Winchester is arguably the best place to live.

Even further down South? Christ, did you murder a judge up there or something?

I shot the sheriff. And the deputy. And, far worse, I splashed mud on T Dan Smith's brogues outside the Queen Alex (before Paul Cannell had it, obvs).

• React
Reactions: MJB
If Louth was good enough for the late great Rod Hutchinson to inhabit for many years it must indeed be a fine place.

Born in Cowley, moved to Hinksey Hill, then Marcham. Moved to Essex 35 years ago with the Job.
Been living here in Heybridge Basin ever since. Its an attractive riverside village on the side of the Blackwater Estuary.
Two really good pubs ten minutes staggering distance. The only potential downside is high risk flood area. hence no
further house building allowed.
Know it well. Stayed at a lovely B and B facing the water. Lovely Italian at the end of the road.
Worked there for a few years in Malden High Street and lived in nearby Boreham and Witham

Live in Yateley which is only 36 miles to see the yellows.
Plan is to move to West oxon within a couple of years and enjoy retirement.
Only looking to spend around £300000 but already warming to Carterton. Witney looks very busy although Kidlington might be alright. Any suggestions appreciated. Will sell first. Go on holiday and buy when we return to the U.K.

Louth is relatively isolated, as is much of eastern Lincolnshire. The area as a whole is pretty much a dead end. You only head that way if you're aiming for the resorts of Skegness, Mablethorpe or Cleethorpes (not my cup of tea) or the docks at Grimsby and Immingham (limited appeal).

You can escape north over the Humber Bridge to sample the delights of Hull, but the nearest motorway (M180) is 45 minutes from Louth and takes a while to connect to the rest of the system (M18, M1, M62). Humberside Airport is only 25 miles away, but destinations are limited.

All this is only a problem, of course, if you seek the bright lights, and thankfully we don't! Louth is the main town for the Lincolnshire Wolds AONB - the south of the county around Boston / Spalding is flat but the wolds are obviously hilly - which is relatively unknown but offers great walking and cycling amongst its lanes and villages.

The town itself has 15 pubs, same number of restaurants, a dozen fresh food shops and 70% of the 300 businesses are locally owned. It's a different world to the identikit high streets around the country. Town centre architecture is Georgian / Victorian and damned attractive.

Come to visit us (at our house, obviously) before the world discovers the next Cotswolds!

Copyright Lincolnshire Tourist Board, who should really get their arses in gear to promote more than the coastal resorts.
Sounds really good to me! what time do you have dinner??

I have to say I am proud to say I'm from Oxfordshire and loved growing up there. I also do miss it in the sense of all the various towns and country side that it has to offer. I also miss how easy it was to go to Cheltenham or Newbury races. Every time I drive back for a home game a little part of me wishes I still lived there.
Having said all that, would I move back there? No and one of the main reasons for this is the people of Oxfordshire.

Having lived up north for sometime now I have got used to how friendly the northerners can be*. I also think scousers are a brilliant breed of people! Very witty, funny, down to earth people who will give anyone the time of day (apart from Mancs).
I'm also lucky that where I live in Chester I only need to walk 10 minutes down the road and i'm in beautiful countryside and plenty of great country pubs.

*This does not apply to Preston. That place is a s**t hole and most of the locals tend to be arseholes with it.

why then "Essex" yellows"?

From way back, possibly late 1990`s, when the OM had a fans web forum, residing in Essex at the time. Always stuck with it as the various forums have come & gone.
Still got a big old flag as well that often decorated the back of the OM stand & the front of the Blue Boar when we played Southend away.

Louth is relatively isolated, as is much of eastern Lincolnshire. The area as a whole is pretty much a dead end. You only head that way if you're aiming for the resorts of Skegness, Mablethorpe or Cleethorpes (not my cup of tea) or the docks at Grimsby and Immingham (limited appeal).

You can escape north over the Humber Bridge to sample the delights of Hull, but the nearest motorway (M180) is 45 minutes from Louth and takes a while to connect to the rest of the system (M18, M1, M62). Humberside Airport is only 25 miles away, but destinations are limited.

All this is only a problem, of course, if you seek the bright lights, and thankfully we don't! Louth is the main town for the Lincolnshire Wolds AONB - the south of the county around Boston / Spalding is flat but the wolds are obviously hilly - which is relatively unknown but offers great walking and cycling amongst its lanes and villages.

The town itself has 15 pubs, same number of restaurants, a dozen fresh food shops and 70% of the 300 businesses are locally owned. It's a different world to the identikit high streets around the country. Town centre architecture is Georgian / Victorian and damned attractive.

Come to visit us (not to our house, obviously) before the world discovers the next Cotswolds!

Copyright Lincolnshire Tourist Board, who should really get their arses in gear to promote more than the coastal resorts.

Ive a couple of mates who relocated to Louth (from Weston =Super -Mere) 15 -20 years ago

Two of my main sources of work are based in Lincolnshire.... Mortons Media Group, a publishing company with over 30 magazines in their portfolio, based in Horncastle, MMG seem to be one of the larger employers in that area, with two roads ( leading to the sizeable MMG offices n warehouse complex ) named after them, (Mortons Way & Mortons lane)...... also Stars & Stripes records in Skegness promote a trio of (rare soul) weekenders in Skegness ... 2 at the Crown hotel ( Spring & Summer) and the original Skegness soul weekender at the Grovsnor on the seafront (Autumn)

Never visted or passed through Louth (as yet) though

I'm hoping Weston to which you refer is a typo rather than a cider-fuelled cougar knocking-shop. If not, what was their role there? The world should know about what goes down in Somerset....

I'm hoping Weston to which you refer is a typo rather than a cider-fuelled cougar knocking-shop. If not, what was their role there? The world should know about what goes down in Somerset....
the mud flats by the sea 20 miles south of Brizzle ..... Hobbits (if its still open?) is where to find said cider fuelled cougars late night , and, Im told , every night, in W-S-M

my mates used to work for an International magazine which was based in Weston-Super- Mere, and after the magazine was acquired by Mortons Media Group, they relocated to Louth, ...and the magazine editorial office is now based in Horncastle

Back
Top Bottom