Appleton to Lincoln

One factor is that under Appleton I think a large part of success was in getting decent players to drop down two or three leagues to League 2 in order to get game time. So Roofe first came on loan and then signed to play regular L2 football. I think we did get lucky overall too with how well some turned out.

I'm not sure how far you can replicate that in L1 or higher, as the quality of the football should be higher and so makes it harder to shine?

One factor is that under Appleton I think a large part of success was in getting decent players to drop down two or three leagues to League 2 in order to get game time. So Roofe first came on loan and then signed to play regular L2 football. I think we did get lucky overall too with how well some turned out.

I'm not sure how far you can replicate that in L1 or higher, as the quality of the football should be higher and so makes it harder to shine?
Also that model was being made far more difficult due to the large fees PL and Championship clubs were asking for those kind of players

Weird that some of the same people who used to have a go at Charlie for getting Roofe’s salary wrong are now trying to make out that we somehow spent our way to promotion by having a huge budget. Which one is it?

The smallest League One budget we had since returning to the division was the one in the first season back under Appleton, when we missed out on the playoffs by four points and finished eighth. The one when we had just lost Roofe, COD, Hylton, Wright, Kenny etc. The budget has been bigger every season since then. Guess we must be quite good at underperforming.

Last edited:
Weird that some of the same people who used to have a go at Charlie for getting Roofe’s salary wrong are now trying to make out that we somehow spent our way to promotion by having a huge budget. Which one is it?
Not mutually exclusive surely?
I am not sure that anybody is suggesting a huge budget but a very decent one for L2

The smallest League One budget we had since returning to the division was the one in the first season back under Appleton, when we missed out on the playoffs by four points and finished eighth. The one when we had just lost Roofe, COD, Hylton, Wright, Kenny etc. The budget has been bigger every season since then. Guess we must be quite good at underperforming.

Appleton was just lucky mate. Face facts as they are re-written.

If this is reference to my post, I said that we had one of, if not the biggest playing budget in league 2 when promoted. That is true.

Our first season in league one, our budget was in the top 10 so Appleton finished around that expected.

Our second season with Pep we had a budget in the top 8 or so. We massively underperformed.

Last season was top 10, for most of the season we also massively underperformed even if we finished strongly.

This year, I suspect we will have an increased budget, again probably top 8. As it stands we are also underperforming.

None of this is a dig at MApp who I said from day one would come good in time. He is a good manager, one who can spot and nurture talent and gets the best from his players. But I think Lincoln are about as high as they're likely to go and he may see success at just keeping them at this level. If he, or they are expecting more then I think theyll6be disappointed.

He could actually struggle there, at least to start with. Remember he had a difficult start with us until he was able to bring in the players that could fit his system. The Crowley’s, for all their success, played quite a direct style and I would guess the current Lincoln squad were recruited because their attributes suit that style of play. That way of playing definitely doesn’t fit in with Mapps ideology, if he wants to put his stamp on things too soon he could come unstuck.

Good luck to him.
I am.just disappointed that he didnt get a better role (Championship)
He was fantastic for us after the first season where most of our supporters wanted him out. It will be interesting to see how the Lincoln supporters react if he has a poor first season.
A 4 year contract suggests that the Board at least would back him.

Sorry mate, but I'm struggling to understand the point you're trying make here
If I may, I believe the point would be that had Eales not got himself into some bother with his personal life, and, had Eales not dismantled the organisation that had facilitated Appleton's progress, then Appleton would/could have continued and we may well have been now playing in the championship.
The writing was on the wall from when Ashton jumped ship. That recruitment set up that allowed Appleton to find so much talent was removed in order to save finance. Eales was right when he said he couldn't finance Championship football, his commitments were being re-directed by non business partnerships, the sort that he couldn't ignore and, far more financially demanding than OUFC.

Appleton just seconds before he smashed up the away dug out at Mansfield in 2015.

EE7FYoOWkAQdoTZ

Last edited:
So this was the big job , he was waiting for then? Will be interesting to see how it all goes!

Backwards step for MApp IMO. He’s basically gone full circle since he left us just over two years ago.

Back
Top Bottom