Ex Player Appleton on why he left OUFC

Enjoyed that podcast. I think he's quite proud of what he achieved with OUFC, and I can't think of any manager that achieved so much in such little time.

I think the foundations for how the club looks today come largely from MAPPs tenure. He didn't just bring me some bloody good players to watch but made me proud of saying I am an OUFC fan. We are now identified as a go to club for young, quality, ambitious players. KR must be appreciated for this too.

Think said "journo" needs to be a bit more thoughtful of his audience..... or he`s just so far up his own a**e his farts become words.... ;)View attachment 4116

Hey he got 25 "likes"............ wooopppyyyy doooooo.

Makes me laugh, YF gets a lot of criticism, but as I keep saying, it's much more concentrated. There is much worse on Twitter and FB but it gets lost with all the other crap that's posted. You'll see a Tweet once, then it's pretty much down the pile and forgot about.

Last edited:
Honestly chaps, Spotify is a business listed on the NYSE with (according to Wiki) 286 million active users, including 130 million paying subscribers. A Google search tells me it has about 50 million songs, available to listen to whenever you like as often as you like and without adverts. I don't know Joe, and I don't know when he pissed on everyones Cornflakes but I think we're giving him far too much credit if we think he's in on some big Spotify-OUFC podcast scam.

I appreciate some people might not have a lot of time for the internet and its offerings, but we're on an internet forum and I think it's pretty reasonable to offer something up on Spotify like this. The response comes across as quite dismissive and/or hostile to me.

As for Appleton, I have a lot of time for him and for listening to his thoughts on football or OUFC. He is one of our most successful managers in the 22 years I've supported this club, and his team was one of the most exciting and fun to watch that I've ever seen as well. If his success isn't at the expense of Oxford then I enjoy hearing about it just as much as I do Roofe, Baldock, Lundstram, Wilder etc.

Spotify is a subscription service, you can't have everything for nothing..

Will give it a listen, although MAPP left for the ££ and is old news as far as I am concerned.
Free with Sky ?

Honestly chaps, Spotify is a business listed on the NYSE with (according to Wiki) 286 million active users, including 130 million paying subscribers. A Google search tells me it has about 50 million songs, available to listen to whenever you like as often as you like and without adverts. I don't know Joe, and I don't know when he pissed on everyones Cornflakes but I think we're giving him far too much credit if we think he's in on some big Spotify-OUFC podcast scam.

I appreciate some people might not have a lot of time for the internet and its offerings, but we're on an internet forum and I think it's pretty reasonable to offer something up on Spotify like this. The response comes across as quite dismissive and/or hostile to me.

As for Appleton, I have a lot of time for him and for listening to his thoughts on football or OUFC. He is one of our most successful managers in the 22 years I've supported this club, and his team was one of the most exciting and fun to watch that I've ever seen as well. If his success isn't at the expense of Oxford then I enjoy hearing about it just as much as I do Roofe, Baldock, Lundstram, Wilder etc.
Used to enjoy Joe Citrones match report posts here on YF

that said , Im a self confessed technophobic luddite .... Im sure its a good , insightful interview , but Im very wary of any app or whatever they're called this week that requires all manner of details being submitted before being allowed access..... just an opinion, wouldn't making what ever you're broadcasting ( or what the actual word is for it) , available on a format that the vast majority of possibly and potentially interested parties already have easy access to be the best option?

As for Spotify itself .... its 50 million songs are compressed on the high and low frequencies, and, to me, sound pretty crap .... there again Im strictly an original vinyl recording format chap

Used to enjoy Joe Citrones match report posts here on YF

that said , Im a self confessed technophobic luddite .... Im sure its a good , insightful interview , but Im very wary of any app or whatever they're called this week that requires all manner of details being submitted before being allowed access..... just an opinion, wouldn't making what ever you're broadcasting ( or what the actual word is for it) , available on a format that the vast majority of possibly and potentially interested parties already have easy access to be the best option?

As for Spotify itself .... its 50 million songs are compressed on the high and low frequencies, and, to me, sound pretty crap .... there again Im strictly an original vinyl recording format chap

We all have our own opinions and you seem to be a man who will speak his mind, which makes for a more interesting forum overall.

If you only make something available on a format everyone already has, you can never innovate or create anything new. No one had a record player until they invented record players and started selling them. Spotify has hundreds of millions of users and is not obscure. I think it's fair game that Joe posted it, clearly no one is being forced to sign up and listen and I personally would not have felt the need to say much more if it was something that just wasn't for me.

As for Spotify songs sounding crap, I'll have to put that down to your refined palette. I couldn't tell the bloody difference. ;)

We all have our own opinions and you seem to be a man who will speak his mind, which makes for a more interesting forum overall.

If you only make something available on a format everyone already has, you can never innovate or create anything new. No one had a record player until they invented record players and started selling them. Spotify has hundreds of millions of users and is not obscure. I think it's fair game that Joe posted it, clearly no one is being forced to sign up and listen and I personally would not have felt the need to say much more if it was something that just wasn't for me.

As for Spotify songs sounding crap, I'll have to put that down to your refined palette. I couldn't tell the bloody difference. ;)
The problem with bloody Spotify (as opposed to buying the track either physically or digitally) is the completely risible level of royalties they pay to the artists. Yes, you can sign up for a free account and listen to endless music - but if 100,000 people listen to a track, Spotify will pay out about £350. Then the label, management and distributors will take a good slice of that before the artist gets anything at all. If the track was 10p to purchase, you could play it as much as you like and the artist etc would get £10,000 for 100,000 sales.

The problem with bloody Spotify (as opposed to buying the track either physically or digitally) is the completely risible level of royalties they pay to the artists. Yes, you can sign up for a free account and listen to endless music - but if 100,000 people listen to a track, Spotify will pay out about £350. Then the label, management and distributors will take a good slice of that before the artist gets anything at all. If the track was 10p to purchase, you could play it as much as you like and the artist etc would get £10,000 for 100,000 sales.

Do podcasts get money for listens on Spotify?

Does anything stop artists offering tracks at 10p a pop?

I think it's a stretch to say 100,000 listens on Spotify translates into 100,000 sales, just as it would be to say that about a radio play. You could equally argue that £350 compares to £0 from people illegally pirating it.

I'd be happy for Spotify to pay artists a bigger slice but I'm always wary of telling someone else to pay more for something. If Spotify cost £79 a month, I wouldn't buy it and I wouldn't buy a CD every month either (as I'm not hugely into music I'd make do with a couple of tracks and the radio) so the music industry has gained from my wallet through this at least.

Last edited:
And as you can see some did, don't be so sensitive!

I'm not sensitive, I just didn't expect a debate on Spotify's business model to break out! I'm glad some enjoyed.

Does anything stop artists offering tracks at 10p a pop?

I think it's a stretch to say 100,000 listens on Spotify translates into 100,000 sales, just as it would be to say that about a radio play. You could equally argue that £350 compares to £0 from people illegally pirating it.

I'd be happy for Spotify to pay artists a bigger slice but I'm always wary of telling someone else to pay more for something. If Spotify cost £79 a month, I wouldn't buy it and I wouldn't buy a CD every month either (as I'm not hugely into music I'd make do with a couple of tracks and the radio) so the music industry has gained from my wallet through this at least.
Nope, but the point is to make the same £350 an artist would have to sell just 3,500 tracks at 10p rather than 100,000. But - human nature being what it is, and I am sometimes as guilty as everyone else - if it's offered free then who is going to pay? Some artists have still refuse to have their music on Spotify and more power to their elbow. TBH if you wouldn't buy a CD (or it's digital equivalent) a month and are happy with a couple of tracks and the radio, then should you be able to enjoy the work that others have put into their art for nothing? Should people be able to watch OUFC matches on iFollow for free because they don't really want pay or aren't *that* bothered about the club?
How would the footballers get paid? How do musicians make a living?

TBH if you wouldn't buy a CD (or it's digital equivalent) a month and are happy with a couple of tracks and the radio, then should you be able to enjoy the work that others have put into their art for nothing?

Firstly, I don't enjoy it for nothing, I pay the Spotify fee. And yes, I should be able to enjoy it whilst Spotify are willing to provide it at a price I am willing to pay and the artists are willing to allow Spotify to do so. If Spotify charged more than that enjoyment was worth to me, I wouldn't pay it and I'd do without. Someone else would get my money for providing something else.

Is it immoral to listen to the radio and not pay for the privilege?

Should people be able to watch OUFC matches on iFollow for free because they don't really want pay or aren't *that* bothered about the club?
How would the footballers get paid? How do musicians make a living?

That isn't a fair analogy.

Should people be forced to pay £500 to watch a single IFollow match so that Oxford can cover their costs?

Spotify posts an incredible loss nearly every quarter. When it tips the scales and more people sign up for it, however, it’ll make more money than the music business has ever made, which is when the royalty rates will rise. Or at least that’s the plan. I personally think Spotify will keep the profit for themselves and exploit the fact that they now basically own all music.

I work in the music business, so this breakout topic is a real treat for me. Thanks Joe!

As an old style consumer of music (but not a complete luddite) I have a check list of preference.
Watch the band/group/singer live... are they good?
Buy music/merch at the gig.
Buy vinyl/CD`s from a shop/website
Do the "social media" bit of sharing etc

Sadly, as detailed above, the Spotify/Youtube`s of the world do a lot for getting the music/podcast whatever "out there" but the return for the artist/owner is absolutely pathetic measured in pennies not pounds and that has a knock on effect for the whole industry.

Above all I vehemently dislike these services/websites that insist you sign up to watch/listen/buy all they are doing is creating data.
Data which will be the new "money" some time after my wooden box goes into the furnace.

Love & Hugs

A Grumpy Old Man.
;)

Back
Top Bottom