Another plastic manager gone

Gary Baldi

Reading have sacked Paul Clement for not improving their position :). It's becoming an annual game they play down there and I wholeheartedly endorse the policy.

They've appointed an old Chief Exec to sort the mess out. Thames Valley derby next year anyone?

Always been OUFC!

Been discussed on here many times the games against the swine are tame affairs compared to when we used play the plastics on a regular basis

Reading away in a league game would be bloody fantastic....
I was there when we won 2-1 in the Central TV Sunday live game with that wining goal from Matt Murphy in 1999....
We haven’t played a game in Reading for 18 years and like our record used to be against our neighbours down the A420 we have lost our last 5 games against The Royals, it’s a record we need to put right, a big ground who would only attract 10 - 12,000 if they get relegated to league 1, an outside chance they would let us have the whole end behind the goal which is 4300 seats and every ticket would be sold if they sent them all to Oxford....

Always been OUFC!

Been discussed on here many times the games against the swine are tame affairs compared to when we used play the plastics on a regular basis
I remember most if not all of them well ...from first-hand experience

Back in the day plastics were a close second to scum, but matches v scum always had more about em (for me)

Elm Park with its strange set up, their 'lads' (hahahaha... who ran as fast as as Scum always have), were along the side of the pitch with both terraces behind each goal uncovered. Last time I went to old Elms park ground, it was an evening match, may've been a cup game?, their old stand with wooden seats was on the verge of being condemned!)... they were usually 'fun' awaydays with extra spice to them for sure @Ox4Eva

Not missed a scum away , ever. Scum away the first time we played em in the league was my first away game ever (0-0 draw- Aug '65)
first time we played the plastics was an away game Oct '65 , 0-1 win.... which means OUFCs first encounter with either was v Scum, by 2 months. so I guess historically Scum have been OUFC most hated rivals, AND for the longest too;)

I do 'get' that people (over a certain age) from specific areas of Oxfordshire do have a burning hatred of the plastics, ... a similar dislike for MK dons or even 'Wycombe from people in certain areas of Oxfordshire could be held , ....but lets be honest here Wycombe aint n never will be seen a 'rivals' , as for the franchise, they shouldnt even exist!

• React
Reactions: MJB
Always a given to go in the side with the Reading “lads”. Bunch of mungrels I. The late 70s earlie 80s, until a certain chap emerged as a duel team hooligan who got them a bit more organised. Still always scumdon as main rivals for me though.

I was there when we won 2-1 in the Central TV Sunday live game with that wining goal from Matt Murphy in 1999....
We haven’t played a game in Reading for 18 years and like our record used to be against our neighbours down the A420 we have lost our last 5 games against The Royals, it’s a record we need to put right, a big ground who would only attract 10 - 12,000 if they get relegated to league 1, an outside chance they would let us have the whole end behind the goal which is 4300 seats and every ticket would be sold if they sent them all to Oxford....

Great day. I broke a bone in my foot celebrating that goal.

• React
Reactions: MJB
Always a given to go in the side with the Reading “lads”. Bunch of mungrels I. The late 70s earlie 80s, until a certain chap emerged as a duel team hooligan who got them a bit more organised. Still always scumdon as main rivals for me though.

Didn't that certain chap arrive one evening with a group and challenge those inside a pub to a different version of pool?

I would never deny the Swine are our main rivals but the plastics are a close second and I really cannot understand those who don't see that to be honest.

I would never deny the Swine are our main rivals but the plastics are a close second and I really cannot understand those who don't see that to be honest.
Plastics are a VERY close second Id say

That was a great game. Phil Parkinson got me a ticket

Into the relegation places after a 0-2 loss to Sheffield United.

It’s pretty clear to me:
Scum
plastics
luton
I can’t think of anyone else who you would assume that something would kick off with except for Pompey and Milwall and neither of them would regard us as rivals in the way the above three would.

Whinged and moaned all the way in it did.. ?

Games against Reading were always nastier than games at Swindon. Much more violent, aggressive and intimidating. I’d argue it was the main derby, personally.

If we end up in the same league again it’s goong to be bizarre, watching two sets of fans who seemingly have no idea of how vicious the history is. What I find strange is that even the younger fans who can’t remember us ever playing each other often seem so eager to stress how they don’t care and don’t even think they’re proper rivals, but I’ll bet that before they’d ever even seen a Swindon game they hated them. Not sure why it’s okay to believe there’s a rivalry with one but not with another.

Hope they go down and we stay up. I’ve been waiting nearly 20 years for us to once again cross paths twice a season.

Back
Top Bottom