Another plastic manager gone

It’s pretty clear to me:
Scum
plastics
luton
I can’t think of anyone else who you would assume that something would kick off with except for Pompey and Milwall and neither of them would regard us as rivals in the way the above three would.

Maybe Brizzle Rroverrzz alongside Pompey & Millwall?

Maybe Brizzle Rroverrzz alongside Pompey & Millwall?
I know they’re not local rivals as such, and I’m going a bit off topic, but I’ve always had a strong dislike for Watford. I’m not even entirely sure why. Maybe the fact that they wear yellow and their name ends in ‘ford’ but they were the lucky ones in being in the right place at the right time during the premier league age due to a benevolent rock star, and now think they’re a big club when in reality they’ll always be minnows ( he types while punching the keypad a little bit harder than is healthy..)

For me in a top 5 list of rivals it would be:

Swindon
Reading
Bristol Rovers
Luton
Lincoln

Then you have Chelsea but we are highly unlikely to play them anytime soon.

Games against Reading were always nastier than games at Swindon. Much more violent, aggressive and intimidating. I’d argue it was the main derby, personally.

If we end up in the same league again it’s goong to be bizarre, watching two sets of fans who seemingly have no idea of how vicious the history is. What I find strange is that even the younger fans who can’t remember us ever playing each other often seem so eager to stress how they don’t care and don’t even think they’re proper rivals, but I’ll bet that before they’d ever even seen a Swindon game they hated them. Not sure why it’s okay to believe there’s a rivalry with one but not with another.

Hope they go down and we stay up. I’ve been waiting nearly 20 years for us to once again cross paths twice a season.

games against Reading certainly had a serious 'bit of spice' about them

While, at the Skip, taking the Town end (before segregation was introduced) was a given, every time we went there ....

first visit to the skip after segregation came in, May 82 I think? - if memory serves it was Jim Smiths first experience of an away derby v scum, Smoke bomb chucked on the pitch from the town end ( unusually populated by scummers in a home fixture againts Oxford!) at the start of the second half, Roy Burton was engulfed in smoke and unsighted, scum score, referee Eric Read allows it to stand. Stratton bank was a terrace back then, full of Oxfords finest,, 'we' also had some of the lower terrace at the side. Read was felled in a hail of coins the first time he ventured anywhere near where Oxford were. Meanwhile, in the Stratton bank several crash barriers were uprooted and chucked over the wall towards the pitch, advertising hoardings kicked to pieces. We ended up losing 3-2 ( due to Eric Read's shocking descision Id say!)... Wiltshire police decided to lock Oxford fans in the ground to allow scum to scuttle off into the shadows, except, that was the first of several times that despite being locked in the ground the Stratton bank exit gates were removed rathe quickly, with an angry mob of Oxfords finest storming out. Mayhem ensued.

Last edited:
My personal hate list is:

Reading
Swindon
Luton
QPR
Brighton

As said by others games against Reading have more of an edge than against the swine. Hopefully we play them soon and the arm waving pavement dancers will find out!

My list would be

Sw*nd*n
Reading
Orient
Liverpool
Everyone else

Reading are nowhere near the same club since moving from Elm Park, or ever since the Madjeski era. Unlike Oxford, Swindon, Rovers, Luton etc etc, Reading have become infiltrated with plastic 2 team fans who have probably never even heard of Elm Park, it's a major family club with very very few die hard fans, which is reflected in their miniscule away attendances. Mocked universally by other Championship clubs for being just tedious, characterless and passionless.
As someone who lives between Oxford and Reading, there's always banter but it's hard to find a real "hatred" there anymore, they're just a bit "meh" these days. I'd put the other clubs mentioned previously above them in the present day. Although an away game there would be superb, as I'm sure we'd sell out 4k+

games against Reading certainly had a serious 'bit of spice' about them

While, at the Skip, taking the Town end (before segregation was introduced) was a given, every time we went there ....

first visit to the skip after segregation came in, May 82 I think? - if memory serves it was Jim Smiths first experience of an away derby v scum, Smoke bomb chucked on the pitch from the town end ( unusually populated by scummers in a home fixture againts Oxford!) at the start of the second half, Roy Burton was engulfed in smoke and unsighted, scum score, referee Eric Read allows it to stand. Stratton bank was a terrace back then, full of Oxfords finest,, 'we' also had some of the lower terrace at the side. Read was felled in a hail of coins the first time he ventured anywhere near where Oxford were. Meanwhile, in the Stratton bank several crash barriers were uprooted and chucked over the wall towards the pitch, advertising hoardings kicked to pieces. We ended up losing 3-2 ( due to Eric Read's shocking descision Id say!)... Wiltshire police decided to lock Oxford fans in the ground to allow scum to scuttle off into the shadows, except, that was the first of several times that despite being locked in the ground the Stratton bank exit gates were removed rathe quickly, with an angry mob of Oxfords finest storming out. Mayhem ensued.

I remember that night well @Sarge. The smoke bomb, the crush barriers going and also a scummer copper getting bitten by his own dog as he tried to stop us storming the gates to get out. Swindon town centre got fookin flattened that night, everything and anything was a target. There were photos on the back page of the Sun the next day of the crush barriers on the side of the pitch.

Swindon
Swindon Reserves
Everyone else.

But I get the Reading thing. I think if I was 10 years older it may be different.

The stands in Reading looked empty yesterday in their game against Sheff Utd. It looks like the town have given up on them now there is no glory in supporting them.

TBF to true Reading (of which I know many) they do still hate us and we are their main rivals.

There’s a few of them in Wally and Places like Henley and woodcote are split more 50/50. When you live amongst them it’s easier to understand the rivalry. It’s probablly the same if you live in west Oxfordshire like Farringdon and Wantage RE Swindon.

They see Aldershit as we see Wycombe.

To play them next year would be excellent. Both games would have sell out away ends.

Reading are nowhere near the same club since moving from Elm Park, or ever since the Madjeski era. Unlike Oxford, Swindon, Rovers, Luton etc etc, Reading have become infiltrated with plastic 2 team fans who have probably never even heard of Elm Park, it's a major family club with very very few die hard fans, which is reflected in their miniscule away attendances. Mocked universally by other Championship clubs for being just tedious, characterless and passionless.
As someone who lives between Oxford and Reading, there's always banter but it's hard to find a real "hatred" there anymore, they're just a bit "meh" these days. I'd put the other clubs mentioned previously above them in the present day. Although an away game there would be superb, as I'm sure we'd sell out 4k+

Pretty much my feelings on it and perhaps I’m a prime example of a fan who doesn’t remember the Elm Park/Thames Valley Royals days. I can’t get worked up about Reading at all as a rival. Compare how many chants we have about Swindon and how many we have about Reading (are there any?) and you know full well who the main rival is.

I went to a couple of League Cup ties against them in the early 2000s expecting some kind of atmosphere or edge to the game and there wasn’t any. It felt passive and ‘meh’ as you describe it. It could have been any non-descript club that we were playing. Maybe a league fixture would be different, especially in a packed out away end at their place.

Swindon games have the edge. Luton has one too especially when you get the right conditions at Kenilworth Road. Reading? * shrugs *

The last time I saw us away at Luton was just after Kinnear had taken over there. That was quite an emotional night. He didn’t help when he flicked a V sign at us behind his back as he crossed the pitch to the dugout after half time. A*****e.

Back
Top Bottom