And then it was Yellow..

Choose your colours

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DreamInYellow

Does anyone know the reason we changed from gold/burnished orange (call it what you will) to yellow in 1972. I perosnally love the 1949 kit and would be thrilled to see a return to these colours.

https://oxfordkits.com

The creator of the above website deserves a knighthood. Is it available as a wall poster?!

Will this poll/vote be as close as the brexit result? :unsure:

at the moment its 'yellow 52% , 'roots 48% :eek:

They should have made that there away kit for this season imo. Maybe next season they will. Really liked it.

Does anyone know the reason we changed from gold/burnished orange (call it what you will) to yellow in 1972. I perosnally love the 1949 kit and would be thrilled to see a return to these colours.

The creator of the above website deserves a knighthood. Is it available as a wall poster?!
I believe the correct name for the colour we played in prior to 1971/2 is amber.

• React
Reactions: Jem
I thought it was called Old Gold. But if anyone knows it would be Arthur T :)

Thanks! Funnily enough, only a few months ago I considered creating a framed print of the home kits, but it would take a fair bit of planning. I cannot use the images from my website as the quality isn't good enough, nor are the colour profiles suitable for print. I'm a freelance web/graphic designer, and very busy on client projects. Perhaps when things get a little quieter i will revisit.

're the changing to Yellow. I have no firm knowledge, but had always thought we changed because we looked exactly the same as Wolves, Watford, Hull and Cambridge. (It's worth remembering that kits didn't have club crests or manufacturers motifs in the 60's and early 70's).

The oufc programmes mostly quoted our colours as gold, occasionally it was referred to as old gold. However proper old gold was more of a Dijon Mustard colour which we never wore.

Certainly I would say the early 70's was more Amber than the gold worn in 60's.

Now going back further in time. Headington was described in programmes and teamsheets as playing in Orange and Navy. And as such, I've illustrated the kits in those colours. However, I'm not convinced this is right. My hunch is that Headington played in what we now call gold, but at the time the colour was described differently as orange. I once recieved a recent photo of a striped Headington shirt from the 1930's. That shirt certainly looked a yellow/gold, but the picture was poorly lit, so i couldn't really use the info provided.

Unfortunately the 'EasyJet' orange worn on Saturday was nothing like we have ever worn, but I understand the reasons why the club had to pick that shirt from the Puma range.

Thanks! Funnily enough, only a few months ago I considered creating a framed print of the home kits, but it would take a fair bit of planning. I cannot use the images from my website as the quality isn't good enough, nor are the colour profiles suitable for print. I'm a freelance web/graphic designer, and very busy on client projects. Perhaps when things get a little quieter i will revisit.

're the changing to Yellow. I have no firm knowledge, but had always thought we changed because we looked exactly the same as Wolves, Watford, Hull and Cambridge. (It's worth remembering that kits didn't have club crests or manufacturers motifs in the 60's and early 70's).

The oufc programmes mostly quoted our colours as gold, occasionally it was referred to as old gold. However proper old gold was more of a Dijon Mustard colour which we never wore.

Now going back further in time. Headington was described in programmes and teamsheets as playing in Orange and Navy. And as such, I've illustrated the kits in those colours. However, I'm not convinced this is right. My hunch is that Headington played in what we now call gold, but at the time the colour was described differently as orange. I once recieved a recent photo of a striped Headington shirt from the 1930's. That shirt certainly looked a yellow/gold, but the picture was poorly lit, so i couldn't really use the info provided.

Unfortunately the 'EasyJet' orange worn on Saturday was nothing like we have ever worn, but I understand the reasons why the club had to pick that shirt from the Puma range.

Thank you for such a brilliant answer. Interesting comments on relying on descriptions for the older kits. In that vain my late grandad sponsored my football kit as a young lad. He choose orange and blue much to the dismaybof the club haha. In retospect we feel sure this was because he grew up watching Oxford in these colours. This isnt confirmed though.

I for one would buy a wall poster, if such a rainy day should occur.

Ps. I agree about the shade of orange on Saturday. However I did buy the kit, largely because of my grandfather anecdote. Regardless of the shade, it was more akin to what I believe he watched us play in.

@oxfordkits ....Another 'route' for defining( at least one) of the HUFC shirts/kits could be a bit of research into the Corner House (at the Slade) pub sign, there was a Headington Utd/ Oxford Utd winger depicted on the pub sign, taking a corner, for many years.

I believe the player depicted was a local (Headington) lad? ..... I'm not certain if it was local born winger Jim Smith? ..... (Old) gold and (navy) blue quadrants I vaguely remember- though I'm far from certain about that-, before the sign was 'updated' in the late 60s to depict the player in Gold n Black, the then current kit?

Its early on a cold n frosty, late October morning, my powers of recall aren't what they were at the best of times....they're even worse at the moment :sleep::cautious::confused:

Thanks Oxford kits for all the interesting additional info and also for taking the time to produce such a really interesting website. I'll echo others and say it would make a really good wallchart and if you ever found the time to sort it then I'd definitely buy one. Even though it would be out of date by the next season. Great work. Thanks again.

Looks like this poll was won by the kids (the under 45's) who have only known yellow.:)

Back
Top Bottom