Ambitions for next season

I want us to be at least in contention for a play-off spot come the last few games of the season and I'd like to see at least one good cup run.

As an aim: Top half finish is a minimum for me. 'In the playoffs' is not too much of a stretch from that - and then anything can happen! To take the cup competitions more seriously (but I will still be swerving the Checkatrade ;) ) I would also like to enjoy watching us play some attacking football and under KR I think we will.

Until we see what caliber of player we sign though, who knows? There are massive holes in the first team squad (we all know where) and a huge lack of depth - a couple of injuries to key players and we are up against it again. So not just quality, but numbers are required - and required in good time as the squad is so depleted that they are going to have to put in some serious work if they are going to come together as a team rather than a set of individuals.

We wish to be entertained. Drive the 75 miles home with a smile on our faces, win the odd away match, particularly when we attend. Not be in a relegation fight. Have a reasonable cup run. Find out that Tiger has lots of money and that FK likes him and wants to sell him the stadium. Win the lottery, sorry, I'm getting a little carried away now.

Not really sure about next season, some big games and Pompey and Luton will be interesting.

If we can make the play offs I would be very happy!

Last edited:
Those are opposites under the heading of realistic, I'm confused....
It’s binary.
If he hasn’t got the cash he says he has, it’s (1)
If he has, then it’s (2)
I hope I’m wrong but I think Tiger is all BS. Without wishing to re-open the debate and all that.....

If our budget is 8th - 10th in the league (I suspect it is) then a realistic ambition would be to match or better that. I believe under KR we can do that. We would be punching above our weight to make the play-offs.

I’d like us to have a good FA Cup run although a kind draw is important for that to happen.

An improvement in our home form would be welcome. As would a sensible player recruitment policy.

I'm glad KR came in when he did, it has given him a chance to see who we need to bring in and let go unlike Pep who arrived pre-season. I think if KR can bring the players he wants then we must have a shout on the play-offs based on his spell at Charlton, either way I think is going to be a great season. Just wonder if the money is there?

Too much uncertainty at the moment to say one way or another, what I am hoping for is a good young team playing decent football and finishing around the playoffs.

By the start of season we will have a clear idea of where we are going. Pre-season recruitment will tell us all.

You’ll still be XL. They’re just adding XXXL. Tiger’s in clothing, remember?

(and thankfully, so are you…)

There are many big clubs in this league for next season (attendance wise) that we would do well too finish above. Sunderland, Portsmouth, Bradford, Plymouth, Charlton, Coventry, Luton, Bristol R, Doncaster and Barnsley.

I reckon about eleventh place for us.

With all due respect if attendance had anything to do with it teams like Accrington Stanley, Burton, Wimbledon of old and others wouldn't have stood a chance of achieving what they did. Coventry and Luton, have just come up from 2, and we regularly beat the likes of Portsmouth, Plymouth, Charlton, Bristol R and Doncaster.

Top half finish with a decent cup run would do me just fine.

I hope it’s not too exciting as I’ve decided due to paying for a wedding, honeymoon and house extension in one year I won’t be renewing my ST this coming season!

Saying that I bet I end up going to more games than I did this season.

It's honestly hard to guess with so many unknowns at the moment. It'll be much easier to gauge where we are towards the end of the summer.

My hopes, however, are: the
- I've never had Singha beer. So another hope is that it's not disgusting. Can't taste much worse than what is currently on offer in the stadium.
- Decent football and atmosphere at home games.

I'm quite easy to please really.

I've tried Singha in quite a few far eastern places. I like it.

Would like to see us target 15 home wins. One season I would like us to be very strong at home.

You’ll still be XL. They’re just adding XXXL. Tiger’s in clothing, remember?

(and thankfully, so are you…)

And if they’re coming from Thailand, how do we know they’re not knock offs or the people that actually put them together earn more than 42 Bhat an hour?

When I started this thread I now think that the title was wrong. It should have been targets and not ambitions. The ambition should always be promotion any which way we can, and the question is which target can we realistically reach.
I still think that the massive overhaul required after Clothead's disaster will rule out promotion, but I also think we will finish relatively high up the league.

With all due respect if attendance had anything to do with it teams like Accrington Stanley, Burton, Wimbledon of old and others wouldn't have stood a chance of achieving what they did. Coventry and Luton, have just come up from 2, and we regularly beat the likes of Portsmouth, Plymouth, Charlton, Bristol R and Doncaster.

So you're suggesting that attendance (and by extension budget) has no bearing on final league placing?

I will place my traditional pre-season bet.............. League Champions, FA Cup winners & League Cup winners..................... :D

Back
Top Bottom