General All things Retro

Scotchegg

With a global pandemic, years of racial tension bubbling over, Trump and Boris running the show and still 5 days until the real football begins - let's look at our childhood joys of yesteryear!!!

Bikes, computer games, sweets, TV shows! Lets go Football Crazy!!!

Screenshot_20200628-101509_Google.jpg

Roy of the Rovers, and Tiger.
(Which I couldn’t get because my parents made me get Look and f*****g Learn).

The ProSet football cards of the early 90s. Although Oxford were thoroughly under represented with only Ceri Evans and Mark Stein, despite being a second division/tier team at the time.

Shoot - and those wonderful push out league ladders they did each season

Preferred Match as they had descriptions of each of the goals for all of the divisions in the results section.

Roy of the Rovers, and Tiger.
(Which I couldn’t get because my parents made me get Look and f*****g Learn).

My folks 'imposed' Look and Learn on me when I was a youngster, though once I was given pocket money , in return for a few chores, I'd buy myself various popular kids comics of the time, eventually Shoot ( with the push out League table ladders as mentioned by @mooro & @Scotchegg above^^)

Panini World Cup 1982, collected these as a kid...

Espana%2082%20England%20Team%20stickers%20page%20%281%29.jpg.opt600x677o0%2C0s600x677.jpg

The ProSet football cards of the early 90s. Although Oxford were thoroughly under represented with only Ceri Evans and Mark Stein, despite being a second division/tier team at the time.
I found a nigh on complete ProSet collection in the loft the other year. Not worth a whole lot but a had a good laugh at some of the haircuts!

I didn't do Panini for the '82 world cup but I did have the Ladybird book and it felt like I watched every game! Loved the Brazil team that year, Zico, Falcao, Socrates, Junior, Eder! Some great games, Scotland v Brazil, Northern Ireland v Spain, England v France, and strangely Hungary v El Salvador!

I remember being more upset at Italy beating Brazil than England not qualifying, but then wanted to be Paolo Rossi so I moved on quick!!!

My first, and possibly my favourite world cup to date and I've still got a mug at my mum's I think!

20200628_130916.jpg

I didn't do Panini for the '82 world cup but I did have the Ladybird book and it felt like I watched every game! Loved the Brazil team that year, Zico, Falcao, Socrates, Junior, Eder! Some great games, Scotland v Brazil, Northern Ireland v Spain, England v France, and strangely Hungary v El Salvador!

I remember being more upset at Italy beating Brazil than England not qualifying, but then wanted to be Paolo Rossi so I moved on quick!!!

My first, and possibly my favourite world cup to date and I've still got a mug at my mum's I think!

View attachment 3965
I used fabric pens to make my own espana 82 sweatshirt, with a picture of the orange. It was bloody awful.

Used to get Shoot annuals every Christmas and still have most of them from the seventies and eighties. Got quite a few Roy of the Rovers as well. The league tables wer great until the little tabs ripped. One of my regrets was not keeping hold of the soccer stars sticker books, first one was 1968 but moving around made that difficult. Collected them for about 10 years. Still have a magnetic football game from the late sixties and the board game Wembley, about the FA cup. The other game I had was where you hit the players head to kick the ball, but cannot remember the name. Talking of memories, I could probably mention 90% of the cup final teams squads from the late sixties through to the late eighties but would be hard pushed to name 5 players from last years final.

the board game Wembley, about the FA cup. The other game I had was where you hit the players head to kick the ball, but cannot remember the name.
I remember both of them. Was it called World Cup? There was a similar cricket game too that was alright.

Used to get Shoot annuals every Christmas and still have most of them from the seventies and eighties. Got quite a few Roy of the Rovers as well. The league tables wer great until the little tabs ripped. One of my regrets was not keeping hold of the soccer stars sticker books, first one was 1968 but moving around made that difficult. Collected them for about 10 years. Still have a magnetic football game from the late sixties and the board game Wembley, about the FA cup. The other game I had was where you hit the players head to kick the ball, but cannot remember the name. Talking of memories, I could probably mention 90% of the cup final teams squads from the late sixties through to the late eighties but would be hard pushed to name 5 players from last years final.
Super Striker maybe?

You could well be right on that one. Striker kinda rings a bell. Certainly remember the cricket one as well.

My favourite football game was the one when you had a couple of sticks with magnets and moved the players who also had magnets from under the table which was on legs! Cant remember what it was called but it was much better and faster than subbuteo.

Back
Top Bottom