General All things Retro

Going off on a tangent slightly, been clearing out the loft to be ready for our house move in a couple of months. Came across 3 carrier bags containing the last remaining records from my DJ collection. All from 1973 through 1977 and all, as my taste in them days, soul or "disco" orientated.
Thought of @Sarge and his collection and thought I'd better just google a few titles. Very glad I did. Yet to be confirmed as 100% genuine but, it looks like I've got quite a few worth a lot more than I paid back in the day.
@Sarge will be getting first look (and choice) as befits his position as guardian of the sounds.
Hard to take in that some of those 7" vinyl singles are over 40 years old! Seems like yesterday.

T
Fighting Fantasy books? I remember having this one...

1464329.jpg
This was probably the best in the series

My favourite arcade game late 80s, tekhan world Cup. Played with a tracker ball instead of a joystick...

That's made me dredge up a memory of waiting for tape computer games to load and them giving you a pre-game to give you something to do while the main game loaded.

Daley Thompson's Decathlon, strengthening and preparing wrists of young boys everywhere ;)

That's made me dredge up a memory of waiting for tape computer games to load and them giving you a pre-game to give you something to do while the main game loaded.
For any youngsters reading, this is how spectrum games loaded in...

As mentioned by @Gary Baldi , you would set one loading, then go and do something else for a while. Oh, and just for a laugh, every 4th or 5th load the computer would error out and you'd have to start it all again ?

I had the later FS1M, most were restricted to 30 mph unless you knew how to take the restricter out, which I did, I loved that Bike.

I had one of the last ones that was unrestricted, R reg, 1977?

I’d already left school when I turned 16 and got my FS1E. For a kid who lived out in the sticks it made a big difference to my life. Great times!

Only came off it the once between Enstone and Woodstock, hit some black ice and slid on my a**e down the A34 ( as it was then) a fair old way. Got up, dusted myself off and went into Oxford to do a full days work.:)

coming out soon ... a coming of age British film, Bootboy, set in Yorkshire/ Leeds early 70s.... a story of football lads, scooters & northern soul allnighters

short trailer to give a flavour in the advert that went live earlier today ....

Just watched on Sky documentary - Motown. If it's possible to download and watch again (or for the first time) I recommend, quite extraordinary stories of the beginning and history of the label. Some great music, of course, but also insights into Berry Gordy and how he put the whole thing together. Anyone of a certain age will have tears in their eyes by the end.
@Sarge may remember a night where we all drove to Heathrow to wait for Marvin Gaye arriving from the USA. (his band did, Marvin took a later flight and we never did get to see him.)

Football Monthly was a great magazine and I still have quite a few stashed away.
I used to love playing the board game Wembley.
I’m also going to dig my old football Rattle out for the playoffs ?
I thought you typed Razzle there as you were talking about magazines

My folks 'imposed' Look and Learn on me when I was a youngster, though once I was given pocket money , in return for a few chores, I'd buy myself various popular kids comics of the time, eventually Shoot ( with the push out League table ladders as mentioned by @mooro & @Scotchegg above^^)
Same with me, my parents paid for a subscription to Look and Learn, it may have been a birthday present. I was interested mainly in the 'Trigan Empire' strip (for those not familiar with this, it was once aptly described as a "pseudo Roman Empire in outer space" and I'm amazed that Hollywood has not yet turned it into a film) and ignored much of the rest of the magazine. Looking back now though, I think I can credit Look and Learn with being one of the reasons why I grew up a life-long atheist. The magazine must have been founded by a humanist because it tried very hard to avoid mentioning religion unless it was necessary to do so in a historical context.

I also read Shoot regularly in the late 70's and early 80's when it was a genuinely interesting magazine.

Last edited:
Same experience with Look and Learn here. But hey, I’m a science professor so maybe my folks were right.

Beano and Dandy here. With the occasional Topper and Beezer thrown in for good measure

Beano and 'Whizzer and Chips' for me (and a few issues of Buster)

Mum and Dad also bought me 'Input' magazine, it was one of those collectable series which had large binder folders and turned into a programming encyclopedia, teaching coding on the ZX Spectrum or BBC Micro. Guess something stuck from that, as I'm now a programmer...

Back
Top Bottom