Ex Player Alex Rodriguez Gorrin

Would love to know whether we were looking just at Cadden and As a result Gorrin came into the mix so to speak?

Let me start with saying he played very well yesterday.

However, just to play devil’s advocate to the love in happening on this thread, he did at one point in the first half play a simple pass out left to Ruffels straight out of play - his passing can be iffy at times, he quite often plays a pass to someone which puts them on the back foot, or even goes straight out of play as that one did. He also sprayed a long diagonal to Cadden which was overhit and made him desperately head it to keep it in. Overall it can be frustrating when he only plays it sideways or backwards when he has time and space, he looks much better when he takes a touch and plays it forwards. He got better in the second half I thought.

He also twice collided with one of our players when trying to win a header and at one point was easily dibbled past, which still happens too often for me.

Still, for me that was his best performance I’ve seen this season and much more like the player others have been seeing. I do like how he sits in front of the back 4.

3 positive sentences and 2 paragraphs of twaddle. F*** me, there no pleasing some.

3 positive sentences and 2 paragraphs of twaddle. F*** me, there no pleasing some.

A masterful review of my post I must say... ? Twaddle in that what I said was factually inaccurate, or just that they are minor points which should be overlooked in the light of an otherwise good performance?

I’m very pleased overall, I can just present a different point of view and don’t get too carried away when we win (or lose) like KR himself says

Really ? Picking up on one misplaced pass? The reason we play the way we do is because Gorrin allows the players ahead of him to express themselves. Without him we are not the same team.

That was one example. I also have mentioned on here how Henry did the same - as he himself brought up in his interview.

Sadly on here the consensus is if we’re losing then the players are rubbish and can’t do anything right, and if we’re winning then the slightest negative point or criticism is seen as heresy

That was one example. I also have mentioned on here how Henry did the same - as he himself brought up in his interview.

Sadly on here the consensus is if we’re losing then the players are rubbish and can’t do anything right, and if we’re winning then the slightest negative point or criticism is seen as heresy
I understand what you are saying.
Gorrin is one of the best I've seen at reading the oppo's passes, intercepting and breaking up attacks. If he has one weakness its what he does with the ball when he's won it. He OCCASIONALLY gives it away or plays it into no mans land. Its not a major criticism, just an observation of how a player does things.

I understand what you are saying.
Gorrin is one of the best I've seen at reading the oppo's passes, intercepting and breaking up attacks. If he has one weakness its what he does with the ball when he's won it. He OCCASIONALLY gives it away or plays it into no mans land. Its not a major criticism, just an observation of how a player does things.

Looked at this earlier - gorrin is still an above average passer compared to other midfielders in the league:

Fair point - I much prefer things like this as A) it adds to the debate and B) it uses facts and figures to make a point. Better than saying ‘Rubbish!’

Gorrin clearly is a very good DCM at this level.

It’s on here that prompted me to look. Gorrin is one of the best DCM in the league, whilst being an above average passer himself - however he is alongside one of the best passing and creative midfielders in the league

It’s on here that prompted me to look. Gorrin is one of the best DCM in the league, whilst being an above average passer himself - however he is alongside one of the best passing and creative midfielders in the league

Yeah maybe it’s the fact that he’s next to the likes of Brannigan that makes his occasional bad ball stand out more.

Yeah maybe it’s the fact that he’s next to the likes of Brannigan that makes his occasional bad ball stand out more.
I think you decided to play devil’s advocate when it really wasn’t necessary. I have said for some time Gorrin is a vital cog in a talented midfield; he got my vote in the poll. Does the dirty work which allows Cam and others to thrive. “Occasional bad ball”?! Wow. Disgraceful.

I think you decided to play devil’s advocate when it really wasn’t necessary. I have said for some time Gorrin is a vital cog in a talented midfield; he got my vote in the poll. Does the dirty work which allows Cam and others to thrive. “Occasional bad ball”?! Wow. Disgraceful.

The honest truth is I don’t fully rate him. I think people overlook a lot of the mistakes he makes, both on and off the ball, and I heard rave reviews early in the season but he always seemed to play badly (in my opinion) in the first few games I saw. However he was definitely good against Doncaster and I’m happy to be in the minority on this one, especially if we keep winning. Some people don’t seem to rate Cadden that much; I really like him. This is just one of those times when for whatever reason a player doesn’t fully click with you. If I could be bothered I’d watch the Doncaster game back and look for the 5-10 mistakes I felt I saw him make, but I don’t care that much. If he keeps playing like he did on Saturday he can stay in the team as far as I’m concerned (until George Thorne is fit that is ?) And one thing’s for sure - he’s an upgrade on Hanson...

I do think he's a great prospect. He's at the level he's at because of the consistency, but you cannot doubt that, with only minor improvements to his game, he will become a very very good player. I thought he did well against Donny, and agree with his performances for us becoming more and more important as the season progresses.

The honest truth is I don’t fully rate him. I think people overlook a lot of the mistakes he makes, both on and off the ball, and I heard rave reviews early in the season but he always seemed to play badly (in my opinion) in the first few games I saw. However he was definitely good against Doncaster and I’m happy to be in the minority on this one, especially if we keep winning. Some people don’t seem to rate Cadden that much; I really like him. This is just one of those times when for whatever reason a player doesn’t fully click with you. If I could be bothered I’d watch the Doncaster game back and look for the 5-10 mistakes I felt I saw him make, but I don’t care that much. If he keeps playing like he did on Saturday he can stay in the team as far as I’m concerned (until George Thorne is fit that is ?) And one thing’s for sure - he’s an upgrade on Hanson...
I'm not sure if you went yesterday and against Doncaster?
Have you changed your opinion a little?
I was concerned that he may not play yesterday as it would have been a big blow.
I agree with the person who suggested that he nake Brannagan and Dickie look much better players.

I'm not sure if you went yesterday and against Doncaster?
Have you changed your opinion a little?
I was concerned that he may not play yesterday as it would have been a big blow.
I agree with the person who suggested that he nake Brannagan and Dickie look much better players.

I went to Doncaster and watched the full replay of the game yesterday this morning on IPlayer.

I agree, he’s getting better and better (or maybe I’m just seeing it more) - at one point in the game yesterday he flicked the ball behind him on the halfway line to beat a player, drove forward and played a pass out wide left - brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

Having said that he did seem to miss a tackle for their goal, so I do still have some reservations about his tackling, but overall I thought he was great against Rotherham and I’m seeing more and more why people rate him.

I went to Doncaster and watched the full replay of the game yesterday this morning on IPlayer.

I agree, he’s getting better and better (or maybe I’m just seeing it more) - at one point in the game yesterday he flicked the ball behind him on the halfway line to beat a player, drove forward and played a pass out wide left - brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

Having said that he did seem to miss a tackle for their goal, so I do still have some reservations about his tackling, but overall I thought he was great against Rotherham and I’m seeing more and more why people rate him.
I was at Doncaster and Rotherham. He is superb.

Back
Top Bottom