Ex Player Alex Rodriguez Gorrin

He'd already bought locally before coming to us. The loan package included an option to sign permanently in January and unless injured we'll trigger that option with a 2 1/2 year deal. Feel free to bookmark!!
Thay will be some signing from what we have already seen.
I wonder how we can afford his salary? I would be surprised if the budget is less than last seasons?

Last edited:
I'll be very happy if that's the case!
Yes, it’s nice to see secondhand furniture going to a good home. Sorry about that, it was just the sequence of the posts that made me think that’s what you meant!

Yes, it’s nice to see secondhand furniture going to a good home. Sorry about that, it was just the sequence of the posts that made me think that’s what you meant!
I would have done the same! :)

He'd already bought locally before coming to us. The loan package included an option to sign permanently in January and unless injured we'll trigger that option with a 2 1/2 year deal. Feel free to bookmark!!

Hope that’s true, he’s class, will raise the bar just like the beano signing back in our darker days.

Unsung hero.

Colossal performance today. Reads the game brilliantly and I lost count of the number of times he just got a foot in to nick the ball when he had no right to. Threaded some lovely balls through too.

His job will go largely unnoticed given the quality of players around him but couldn’t fail to be impressed by him today. In all the games I’ve seen so far we look a much more complete side with him in the team. We are getting a fair few who are nailing down a starting place on a weekly basis and Gorrin has to be right up there as one of the first you’d put down.

10/11/2021 - ACL injury

Last edited by a moderator:
Every really decent side has a Gorrin type. It’s no coincidence we’ve started looking solid, stable and balanced with him in front of the back four.

Impressive recruitment by us too. He only played 20 odd games for Motherwell and before that it was a fairly nomadic stop start career so for us to have spotted his potential in less than half a season speaks volumes for the work we are doing behind the scenes.

His composure and passing ability is occasionally pretty ropey, but that’s probably why he’s at this level. That’s the only slightly ‘negative’ thing you could probably say about him currently. His energy and work rate is excellent and he allows the players around him to thrive, especially Dickie and Brannagan. His job is a very simple one but is deceptively difficult to do well, and he does just that. For every mistake he makes he does several things that are vital, and overall it means he gives a hell of a lot more than he ever costs us. Every good team needs that sort of water carrier / grafter who does the dirty work and lets others get on with it, and his mere presence ensures that we’ve always got a good half a dozen players ahead of him who can and want to go forward. When he was sharing the holding role as part of a two it didn’t work - he needs to essentially have a sort of defensive free role where he can operate anywhere along the defensive third. He’s got the legs and the energy to get about and a lot of our play comes because of the freedom and confidence he gives the team. Really becoming one of the first names on the team sheet.

His composure and passing ability is occasionally pretty ropey, but that’s probably why he’s at this level. That’s the only slightly ‘negative’ thing you could probably say about him currently. His energy and work rate is excellent and he allows the players around him to thrive, especially Dickie and Brannagan. His job is a very simple one but is deceptively difficult to do well, and he does just that. For every mistake he makes he does several things that are vital, and overall it means he gives a hell of a lot more than he ever costs us. Every good team needs that sort of water carrier / grafter who does the dirty work and lets others get on with it, and his mere presence ensures that we’ve always got a good half a dozen players ahead of him who can and want to go forward. When he was sharing the holding role as part of a two it didn’t work - he needs to essentially have a sort of defensive free role where he can operate anywhere along the defensive third. He’s got the legs and the energy to get about and a lot of our play comes because of the freedom and confidence he gives the team. Really becoming one of the first names on the team sheet.
Great post

I don't know who I love more at the moment, Gorrin or Cam, both absolute quality today.

His heat map from yesterday:

68313B24-3724-4A91-A93E-98573B6BBAFF.jpeg

To play his role requires a lot of intelligence...he spots danger before it happens, he is aware of team mates out of position and covers, plus he makes sure a player won’t get past him (fairly or not!)

His passing is maybe lacking, however when you have Brannagan Henry and Dickie (now one of the best ball playing CBs in the league) around you he can afford to just keep it simple.

It’s worth just watching Gorrin for a half, with and without the ball - it’s impressive his communication and awareness

His heat map from yesterday:

View attachment 2270

To play his role requires a lot of intelligence...he spots danger before it happens, he is aware of team mates out of position and covers, plus he makes sure a player won’t get past him (fairly or not!)

His passing is maybe lacking, however when you have Brannagan Henry and Dickie (now one of the best ball playing CBs in the league) around you he can afford to just keep it simple.

It’s worth just watching Gorrin for a half, with and without the ball - it’s impressive his communication and awareness
The recruitment team did very well with Gorrin. Even the Morherwell supporters who come on here were not really convinced.
We seem to have gradually improved the quality of the holding midfield player.

The recruitment team did very well with Gorrin. Even the Morherwell supporters who come on here were not really convinced.
We seem to have gradually improved the quality of the holding midfield player.

It all comes down to what you want him to do. If you want him to win the ball and spray big passes it won’t happen.

For defensive midfielders in Scotland he was in the top percentile for interceptions/defensive duels etc. Pretty sure championship clubs were interested also!

Let me start with saying he played very well yesterday.

However, just to play devil’s advocate to the love in happening on this thread, he did at one point in the first half play a simple pass out left to Ruffels straight out of play - his passing can be iffy at times, he quite often plays a pass to someone which puts them on the back foot, or even goes straight out of play as that one did. He also sprayed a long diagonal to Cadden which was overhit and made him desperately head it to keep it in. Overall it can be frustrating when he only plays it sideways or backwards when he has time and space, he looks much better when he takes a touch and plays it forwards. He got better in the second half I thought.

He also twice collided with one of our players when trying to win a header and at one point was easily dibbled past, which still happens too often for me.

Still, for me that was his best performance I’ve seen this season and much more like the player others have been seeing. I do like how he sits in front of the back 4.

Back
Top Bottom