Conference Aldershot relegated

Sarge

God like member
.... yesterday

question is will they be playing their games next season in national league south or north?

I've heard Oxford City may be 'transfered' from national league south to national league north for 2019/2020 season?

A series of injuries, no money, and some bad luck but, overall, not enough points won.
Great shame, most of their support is from life long fans and genuine football lovers. A mate of mine and ex work colleague has supported them most of his life and will be very depressed at what has happened.
I hope this will not be the end for the club.

You would think Aldershot would be in the southern division, a strange situation if there are 22 teams further south than them.

When they propose league 1/2 go back to south and north I can never really see the benefit for us, we could well spend a few seasons stuck in the northern division like city, visiting every team in greater Manchester but the glamorous ones and loads more unattractive away days, bad enough for that at the moment.

I’m sorry to hear of Aldershot getting relegated as I’ve seen many games there including Chelsea U21s on Fridays...only £1 to go in too.
If Chelmsford fail to make promotion they could end up in the North.
Strange if Woking end up south and Aldershot north.
I think Aldershot will survive, although their stadium is a prehistoric mess. Holes in the roof everywhere.
Feel sorry for Waddock. If they can keep him I think they’ll return next season

Aldershot was my first away day, I look back on it with the necessary romance but really it's a cowshed away end with a few seats down the sides of the pitch.

Still, I always look out for them if I'm taking a look at the National League tables.

I’m sorry to hear of Aldershot getting relegated as I’ve seen many games there including Chelsea U21s on Fridays...only £1 to go in too.
If Chelmsford fail to make promotion they could end up in the North.
Strange if Woking end up south and Aldershot north.
I think Aldershot will survive, although their stadium is a prehistoric mess. Holes in the roof everywhere.
Feel sorry for Waddock. If they can keep him I think they’ll return next season

It would be strange, Woking is further north. Not sure how they work it all out, but if you have a north south divide surely you have to just split it that way, 22 most southern in one and the rest in the north?

A few ex league clubs down at that level now, joined by Phoenix teams from league clubs that no longer exist.

It would be strange, Woking is further north. Not sure how they work it all out, but if you have a north south divide surely you have to just split it that way, 22 most southern in one and the rest in the north?

A few ex league clubs down at that level now, joined by Phoenix teams from league clubs that no longer exist.
Over the years I've spent some time looking at the makeup of the non-league structure, and while in theory this is the best option, it really struggles to work in practice and discriminates against clubs on the border of the two - clubs who are certain which side they fall can already be sorting out players for next season, but clubs like City for instance may have to wait because some use players based an hour or more away from the club who are inevitably going to want to play for a club in that half of the split. You also get the crazy situation where two teams in the same city/locality play teams at the opposite end of the country but not each other.
My preference, albeit with its own challenges, would be fixed boundaries and variable club numbers per league (within reason), so for instance in one season it might be 23 in the south and 21 north or whatever. It will never happen, but it will stop the steady creep of some the borders way beyond natural splits.

City were of course in the North section not that long ago, when little bruv was managing them. I remember them getting a great result away at Stockport County.

I believe they now take into account proximity to the motorway network which would suggest why Oxford City are always under consideration. I think they would be guaranteed in the North for 3 seasons, assuming they don't get relegated iirc.

Rumours Braintree have said they would take voluntary relegation out of the NL into I assume the Isthmian Lg if they get placed into the NL North.

It does seem a complicated system. When you get down to that level and start regionalising perhaps it would be better to go the way they go abroad and split it even further to cut down the travelling, 3 or 4 splits. Used to be 3 feeder leagues didn’t it?

It would water down the quality with the extra sides but the current regionalisation seems to make very little difference as the clubs still travel miles, Blyth Spartans to Brackley is a trek.

It's a difficult situation - but what can you do?

The four clubs coming down from the conference are Havant & Waterlooville, Aldershot, Braintree and Maidstone. i.e. just about as southern as you get. And the two clubs coming up from the feeder league look like being Weymouth and Dorking. Again, definitely southern.

If you did it strictly on latitude then you would move Gloucester from NLS to NLN, and then by a hair's breadth, you would place Braintree in NLN as well, rather than move City.

But I don't think anyone in the country thinks of Essex as being northern. And if you did that, then Braintree's shortest journey to a game next year (Brackley) would be a 100 mile, 2 hour drive.

Case to be made to play with a 20-club National League North and a 24-club National League South in 2019-20?

Oxford City will almost definitely be placed in the national north along with Gloucester. It is no bad thing though as the northern sides generally have better away followings. You will have Hereford, Chester, York, Boston, Chorley, Darlington, Kidderminster, FC United and Telford who all travel fairly well for that level. Obviously Stockport look to be going up and at a guess I'd say Chorley will go up as well.

Oxford City will almost definitely be placed in the national north along with Gloucester. It is no bad thing though as the northern sides generally have better away followings. You will have Hereford, Chester, York, Boston, Chorley, Darlington, Kidderminster, FC United and Telford who all travel fairly well for that level. Obviously Stockport look to be going up and at a guess I'd say Chorley will go up as well.

I think Chorley play Stockport over Easter weekend. Winner will likely go up - loser has to fight through the playoffs.

I think Chorley play Stockport over Easter weekend. Winner will likely go up - loser has to fight through the playoffs.

Stockport will win the league. Chorley are the best side out of the rest in that league. Although Altrincham are the best footballing side out of the play off contenders.

Back
Top Bottom