General Aid for the EFL?

I agree with SD and SB that the premier league could help the EFL teams with some financial help BUT as they say that if that was to happen why can’t other big businesses help out smaller ones yes the premier league is full off over paid players but if the role was turned and say we were in Man City financial position would we really give a s**t about helping out a little league one or two club ??

Bar around 6/8 clubs the rest of the Prem clubs are not far from being in the same position as clubs in the lower Leagues. The problem is the Parachute money for which there is no genuine reason for this to be paid. Any League 1or 2 club that is relegated would have to adapt accordingly so why not the same higher up the chain?

i have said before it stopped being Sport as we knew it a long time ago from the moment you could be rewarded for finishing 4th in the top flight and where finishing some 30-40pts behind the League Champions was once seen as a failure does not now bring any cause for concern as you are very well rewarded financially.
You can extend that in the Leagues below where a poor season is overlooked due tothe clamour for a Play off spot.

The Gap from the top down has grown bigger and is now at a stage where even clubs like Arsenal,Spurs Chelsea etc do not have to concern themselves that City and Liverpool have pulled so far ahead just as long as they can nick the 3rd or 4th spot they will never need to alter their thought process.

You cannot complain about the Gap and the rich getting richer whilst contributing to the extotinate wages via your subscriptions and swallowing the Annual price rises but the problem is that armchair fans and even attending fans to an extent of the likes of Arsenal Chelsea etc will be ok doing so as it helps their club get that coveted 4th spot.

Of course not, we are well managed board level.

We are debt-ridden and loss-making.

What's the difference between us and any other if Tiger et al walk away?

I have no reason to believe the above is imminent, and I welcome Tiger's investment in many parts of the club. Sometimes the unforeseen happens though.

You would imagine that the vast majority of businessmen investing in (or propping up) football clubs at whatever level are seeing a loss of income from their businesses and/or investments. I don't think we can take it as read that *any* club is 'safe' at the moment (apart from a few PL giants, and even then...)

Bar around 6/8 clubs the rest of the Prem clubs are not far from being in the same position as clubs in the lower Leagues. The problem is the Parachute money for which there is no genuine reason for this to be paid. Any League 1or 2 club that is relegated would have to adapt accordingly so why not the same higher up the chain?

i have said before it stopped being Sport as we knew it a long time ago from the moment you could be rewarded for finishing 4th in the top flight and where finishing some 30-40pts behind the League Champions was once seen as a failure does not now bring any cause for concern as you are very well rewarded financially.
You can extend that in the Leagues below where a poor season is overlooked due tothe clamour for a Play off spot.

The Gap from the top down has grown bigger and is now at a stage where even clubs like Arsenal,Spurs Chelsea etc do not have to concern themselves that City and Liverpool have pulled so far ahead just as long as they can nick the 3rd or 4th spot they will never need to alter their thought process.

You cannot complain about the Gap and the rich getting richer whilst contributing to the extotinate wages via your subscriptions and swallowing the Annual price rises but the problem is that armchair fans and even attending fans to an extent of the likes of Arsenal Chelsea etc will be ok doing so as it helps their club get that coveted 4th spot.
To an extent, but Sky and BT subscriptions are worldwide. The entire planet are subscribing and piling money into the PL, every year 20 clubs are gifted (now over £1bn?!?!) whilst the rest of the clubs in England receive a pittance in comparison. It's hard to blame EFL fans with Sky TV for adding to the problem, I used to think similarly but it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference if they all cancelled their subscriptions tomorrow.

It's up to the Premier League to show some humility, admit how fortunate they are to receive the riches they do (the TV money is not earned, it is merely gifted). I honestly see absolutely no reason why a larger percentage of this money can't be passed through the non-league structure up to the Championship to help ease the strain.

PL Clubs may have to go back to offering £20m for a top player instead of £60-100m whilst saving the entire countries football structure, history and heritage... oh how will they cope?!

It really is a farce now, and frustrating. The reason so many EFL clubs are struggling is the inability to keep up with the top tier becoming richer and richer year on year, the gap in transfer fees, wages just becomes more outrageous as each season passes.

Similarly, shortly after Chinese clubs started spending wildly on overseas players the Chinese Footballing powers placed a 100% tax on overseas signings, with that going into funding grassroots football and lower level footballing projects in China. So for a £20m signing, the club must pay another £20m into this fund. Imagine if PL clubs agreed to just 1% for something similar, or a Covid relief package...

To an extent, but Sky and BT subscriptions are worldwide. The entire planet are subscribing and piling money into the PL, every year 20 clubs are gifted (now over £1bn?!?!) whilst the rest of the clubs in England receive a pittance in comparison. It's hard to blame EFL fans with Sky TV for adding to the problem, I used to think similarly but it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference if they all cancelled their subscriptions tomorrow.

It's up to the Premier League to show some humility, admit how fortunate they are to receive the riches they do (the TV money is not earned, it is merely gifted). I honestly see absolutely no reason why a larger percentage of this money can't be passed through the non-league structure up to the Championship to help ease the strain.

PL Clubs may have to go back to offering £20m for a top player instead of £60-100m whilst saving the entire countries football structure, history and heritage... oh how will they cope?!

It really is a farce now, and frustrating. The reason so many EFL clubs are struggling is the inability to keep up with the top tier becoming richer and richer year on year, the gap in transfer fees, wages just becomes more outrageous as each season passes.

Similarly, shortly after Chinese clubs started spending wildly on overseas players the Chinese Footballing powers placed a 100% tax on overseas signings, with that going into funding grassroots football and lower level footballing projects in China. So for a £20m signing, the club must pay another £20m into this fund. Imagine if PL clubs agreed to just 1% for something similar, or a Covid relief package...
The over hyped windows would have the cronies on Sky in meltdown with so many sudden undesclosed fees and apparent "Value + Bargain Buys"

The Deep issue is the Johny never will be's on crazy wages.added to the Kids being signed up funding mum and Dads Mortgage.

Its a real shame that theres an embargo on live music mega festivals.... otherwise Bob Geldorf n co mayve been persuaded to put together a fundraising spectacular.... couldve called it EFL-aid and perhaps held it at Wembley stadium ? :unsure: ;)

Hearing that there might be some bad news from Bolton today - bankruptcy related. Hopefully not true but wouldn't be a surprise.

Hearing that there might be some bad news from Bolton today - bankruptcy related. Hopefully not true but wouldn't be a surprise.
Thought they took out a 20million pound loan for 2 years past season hence why they weren’t kicked out of the league and having recruited n this transfer window I can’t see how they’re in courts

Thought they took out a 20million pound loan for 2 years past season hence why they weren’t kicked out of the league and having recruited n this transfer window I can’t see how they’re in courts
I don't know the details so can't say. Skimmed through Twitter and can't see any rumours so perhaps it's nothing. I got the info from somebody who was doing some work for them recently. Who knows.

I see the Premier League came out today and announced that the games not being shown by Sky/BT will now be available to fans PPV for 15 quid.

This almost feels like them trolling their season ticket holders at this point - who've forked out hundreds for games they can't watch live, haven't been refunded and are now being told they have to fork out again to watch online.

Meanwhile, the clubs collectively spent 1.2 billion in the transfer window that just closed.

It's just an absurd level of greed. And these are the people we're expecting to step in and bail out the Football League? Not sure I can see it happening myself.

And if it doesn't, unless the government comes up with a bailout, then it seems to me that the 2020/21 season is going to be decided by the simple matter of who has pockets deep enough to carry on playing to the end.......

So the cost of keeping the EFL afloat maybe becoming clearer with a leaked proposal in the Telegraph, which Rick Parry apparently supports.
Effectively hands control to 9 clubs - the big six plus Everton, West Ham and Southampton (the PL's 9 longest servers).
In return the EFL gets £250m this year and thereafter 25% of combined PL+EFL revenues to be distributed amongst the 72 EFL clubs.
The devil will be in the detail.

The proposals include:

• £250 million immediately to the EFL to compensate its clubs for lost matchday revenue, deducted from future television revenue earnings and financed by a loan taken out by the Premier League
  • Special status for the nine longest serving clubs – and the vote of only six of those “long-term shareholders” required to make major changes, including amending rules and regulations, agreeing contracts, removal of the chief executive, and a wide-ranging veto including on club ownership
  • Premier League to go to 18 clubs from 20
  • £100 million one-off gift to the FA to cover its coronavirus losses, the non-league game, the women’s game, the grassroots
  • 8.5 per cent of annual net Premier League revenue to go on operating costs and “good causes” including the FA
  • From the remainder, 25 per cent of all combined Premier League and Football League revenues to go to the EFL clubs
  • Six per cent of Premier League gross revenues to pay for stadium improvements across the top four divisions, calculated at £100 per seat
  • New rules for the distribution of Premier League television income, overseas and domestic, including proposals that base one portion on performance over three years in the league
  • The abolition of the League Cup and the Community Shield
  • 24 clubs each in the Championship, League One and League Two reducing the professional game overall from 92 clubs to 90
  • A women's professional league independent of the Premier League or the FA
  • Two sides automatically relegated from the Premier League every season and the top two Championship teams promoted. The 16th place Premier League club in a play-off tournament with the Championship’s third, fourth and fifth placed teams.
  • Financial fair play regulations in line with Uefa, and full access for Premier League executive to club accounts
  • A fan charter including capping of away tickets at £20, away travel subsidised, a focus on a return to safe standing, a minimum away allocation of eight per cent capacity
  • Later Premier League start in August to give greater scope for pre-season friendlies, and requirement for all clubs to compete once every five years in a summer Premier League tournament
  • Huge changes to loan system allowing clubs to have 15 players out on loan domestically at any one time and up to four at a single club in England

Can’t see this getting 13 votes from the 20 prem clubs, the 9 mentioned might but why would the other 11 vote for it?

If the premiership don’t offer financial help to grass root clubs it could be the death of grass root football as we know it, I don’t think the championship should ask for a greater share if the proposed 250million is forth coming. The share of 250 million should be an equal share between the 3 EFL divisions........before anybody comes back and says about the wages in the championship why the hell should we prop up their wage bill at the expense of L1/2, all the championship should have done is set a wage cap like L1/2 rather than being greedy to become even more greedy.

At every step someone is going to say what about us ?
So what about the national league ?
And then the national league north and south ?
And the leagues below them ?

We aren’t in a 1950s England when land prices were cheap and a football club could just by some farmland and build a ground.

Once non league clubs go bust their grounds will go for housing and that’s it.

If this goes through football is done. It’s just more disaster capitalist nonsense driven by the Yanks. Plus the EFL’s dear leader, who has never screwed the league over before.

This is the biggest clubs trying to take advantage of the weakness of other clubs in the Covid world to try and gain more power and more money.

They are selfish, arrogant and I am utterly ashamed of them and of Rick Parry.

This must be resisted at all costs.

As a young child I was a Manchester United supporter because I didn't know anything about Oxford United; I am so glad I changed the team I support and that today in OUFC I have a club I am so proud of.

Football would be more enjoyable if the big 6 football clubs were shut down instead. Kick the selfish b**gers out.

Back
Top Bottom