General Aid for the EFL?

Oldman159

Just thinking about calls for the prem to support lower leagues...

How about an emergency tax on all transfers?....backdated to start of the window?

I.E. 10% of the fee. Going directly to the EFL and inversely proportioned. (L2 get more than L1 who get more than Championship)

Oh, and the TV pundits could cough up too. They should think of it as an investment - protecting their overpaid jobs.

every little helps?

Noy sure about the division of the money but I like the general idea.

Why should the premier League fund the EFL. It isn't the premier League fault the EFL cannot run itself sustainably. The EFL have been too slow around reducing costs (it is these that need to be looked at first via salary caps which has belatedly happened this season ect) to my knowledge the premier League clubs are very profitable

Why should the premier League fund the EFL. It isn't the premier League fault the EFL cannot run itself sustainably. The EFL have been too slow around reducing costs (it is these that need to be looked at first via salary caps which has belatedly happened this season ect) to my knowledge the premier League clubs are very profitable
They’re asking for the Premiershit to help the EFL because of the riches that they’re given year in year out they could afford to pass some to the EFL to help out clubs who are struggling with no income. This morning Pompey CEO was saying they were
Losing 700K every month without fans leagues 1/2 don’t have the luxury of tv income

Because it's the decent thing to do. Some humility. Some recognition of the fact that they are only one or two bad seasons away from the depths themselves.

Why should a single player earn 10x a year what would keep 10 clubs from going to the wall?

Decency. Humility. Empathy.

They’re asking for the Premiershit to help the EFL because of the riches that they’re given year in year out they could afford to pass some to the EFL to help out clubs who are struggling with no income. This morning Pompey CEO was saying they were
Losing 700K every month without fans leagues 1/2 don’t have the luxury of tv income
Unfortunately the starting point has to be the current failure of a the EFL model. Pretty much 90% of the club's were financial basket cases before Covid. How can tier 2 3 and 4 footballers earn so much when the revenue streams are so small.
Part of the support must involve evolving a model that is sustainable. That starts at all levels from boardroom to terracing. How many fans expect us to spend £5k + per week on players and expect owners to fund unsustainable losses. So many clubs were close to the brink before Covid but the insanity continues.
The stupidity is the Premiership model is sustainable and would be without the EFL structure. It's not palatable but it is reality and will be until the worldwide desire for foitball ceases.
Football clubs mean a great deal to many communities but the Bury and Macclesfield examples show the absurdity of the English model of at least 5 full time professional leagues all trying to live the unsustainable dream.
Interesting times and I have no doubt football will come out of Covid looking very different.

Unfortunately the starting point has to be the current failure of a the EFL model. Pretty much 90% of the club's were financial basket cases before Covid. How can tier 2 3 and 4 footballers earn so much when the revenue streams are so small.
Part of the support must involve evolving a model that is sustainable. That starts at all levels from boardroom to terracing. How many fans expect us to spend £5k + per week on players and expect owners to fund unsustainable losses. So many clubs were close to the brink before Covid but the insanity continues.
The stupidity is the Premiership model is sustainable and would be without the EFL structure. It's not palatable but it is reality and will be until the worldwide desire for foitball ceases.
Football clubs mean a great deal to many communities but the Bury and Macclesfield examples show the absurdity of the English model of at least 5 full time professional leagues all trying to live the unsustainable dream.
Interesting times and I have no doubt football will come out of Covid looking very different.
If the premiershit don’t help you could see the collapse of at least 50% of EFL clubs

Totally agree and I'm sure they will to some extent but not without change. Otherwise it will just delaying the collapse of the 50%. What level of support is realistically required, I summise at least 50million more likely nearer 100 million. Is it likely the Premiership will fund that?

Why no?, its less than the wages of Pogba, Bale and Aubanyumang (sp?) And one more of your choosing combined

That's a fair point but I'm not sure the owners of those clubs will agree. Your point is akin to ask Apple to bale out some washed up but loved IT company. You could equally argue losing 50% of the EFL clubs would make the structure more realistic. Not saying thats my position but I would certainly bet that point is being debated. My point is the EFL current financial model is unrealistic and needs to be fundamentally changed. What gives, players wages or some clubs. Where do you think the PFA sits on that debate?

I am really not convinced the wealthier PL clubs see the rest of us as anything other than an irrelevance that is sometimes useful for developing players for them. They don't particularly want anyone promoted to join them, they aren't that bothered about playing in any of the domestic cup competitions (until it gets to the point they have a good chance of winning them) and the mostly foreign owners and bankrollers are more concerned with PSG and Inter than they are with Accrington Stanley and Oxford United. They'd rather kids in Oxford supported their big PL teams and bought all their tat while watching from the sofa rather than going to see their local sides.

IF (and I think its a big IF) they 'bail out' the EFL it will come with big strings attached. B-teams anyone?

That's a fair point but I'm not sure the owners of those clubs will agree. Your point is akin to ask Apple to bale out some washed up but loved IT company. You could equally argue losing 50% of the EFL clubs would make the structure more realistic. Not saying thats my position but I would certainly bet that point is being debated. My point is the EFL current financial model is unrealistic and needs to be fundamentally changed. What gives, players wages or some clubs. Where do you think the PFA sits on that debate?

Yes, the current EFL financial model is utterly unrealistic and needs drastic change. I don't think anyone would argue with that.

The Apple analogy works if you treat football only as a business. Is that where we're at? Is that where we want to go?

Your point is akin to ask Apple to bale out some washed up but loved IT company.
Well that did happen, in reverse. Microsoft bailed out some washed out but loved IT company in 1997...

The key part for me is the league pyramid itself.
The hopes and dreams that the likes of, lets say, Oxford can make it from non-league to the pinnacle.
And that is what needs preserving far more than any individual clubs and, if the PL are waving the cheque book, the consequences will far outweigh 5 or 6 clubs going bust.

Back
Top Bottom