General Aid for the EFL?

Marcus Rashford wouldn’t sort it but he could pressure others to pay
To be fair to Rashford, why should he sort it? He doesn’t even need to bring so much awareness to the issue regarding struggling family’s. He could just get on with playing football and have an easy life.

Deal done it seems.....

Good split, £200 million to Championship and £50 million between first and second division. Well done Mr Parry. :mad:

Loans not the answer.
The majority of clubs are loss making in the best of times, so how are they going to pay this back, even by 2024.
Should,IMO, be a non repayable grant,with governance rules attached .

Loans not the answer.
The majority of clubs are loss making in the best of times, so how are they going to pay this back, even by 2024.
Should,IMO, be a non repayable grant,with governance rules attached .
Grants for L1 and 2?
Championship clubs make large losses due to going for the PL and huge salaries. So I can't see the problem with loans to Championship clubs

Grants for L1 and 2?
Championship clubs make large losses due to going for the PL and huge salaries. So I can't see the problem with loans to Championship clubs

Agreed - I actually think this proposal seems reasonably fair.

League One and League Two clubs are in trouble because gate receipts are so important to their survival. So a grant program where the PL is going to fill in that financial gap seems appropriate.

Championship clubs are usually in trouble because they exhibit zero financial responsibility and run wage bills that are far higher than they can afford in a desperate attempt to reach the Premier League. The PL shouldn't be expected to fund that through grants.
With this scheme, though, if a Championship club does find themselves up against a wall and struggling to survive, there's at least somewhere they can go in an emergency for some short term capital. And I imagine that the EFL will be as benevolent a creditor as they'll find anywhere......

It annoys the hell out of me that the Championship gets this preferential treatment. They have already got far larger pay outs for TV coverage, there will also be those still benefiting from "parachute payments" and, yes, they have the chance of getting into the big money if they can get promoted.
The crumbs scattered for Div 1 and 2 are paltry sums by comparison. But, of course, that is of no interest to Parry. He's still obsessed with Prem 1 & 2 and screw the rest of the football league.

It annoys the hell out of me that the Championship gets this preferential treatment. They have already got far larger pay outs for TV coverage, there will also be those still benefiting from "parachute payments" and, yes, they have the chance of getting into the big money if they can get promoted.
The crumbs scattered for Div 1 and 2 are paltry sums by comparison. But, of course, that is of no interest to Parry. He's still obsessed with Prem 1 & 2 and screw the rest of the football league.

I think you need to look a bit closer at the fine print of the deal.

Because it's actually the other way around - League 1 & League 2 teams are getting the preferential treatment here. We're getting grants to cover missing gate receipts.

Championship teams are just getting access to loans that they will be expected to pay back in the next 3-4 years.
(although will be interesting to see what penalties that the EFL applies to clubs that don't - you know there's going to be some)

Most championship clubs will have spent the money by the time I finish writing this sentence. It’s a bit mental that the premier league was supposed to give money to clubs who are trying to replace them in that division next season, if I owned Sheffield United, Burnley etc I would of told them to do one.

It’s nice to get a bit of money for us I suppose, should keep the wolf from the door for a bit but at the amount we are getting it’s a very temporary respite, it just kicks the can down the road till fans are allowed back in so the government/premier league can claim they did something when a club eventually/inevitably goes bust.

I think you need to look a bit closer at the fine print of the deal.

Because it's actually the other way around - League 1 & League 2 teams are getting the preferential treatment here. We're getting grants to cover missing gate receipts.

Championship teams are just getting access to loans that they will be expected to pay back in the next 3-4 years.
(although will be interesting to see what penalties that the EFL applies to clubs that don't - you know there's going to be some)
Championship clubs will have access to £200 million worth of interest free loans. Division 1 clubs will get a minimum grant of £375,000 to cover loss of gate revenue.
The Premiership signed a deal 2 years ago worth £4.4 billion just for two TV packages. Granted, a rebate was agreed as a result of lost income due to Covid-19 of £170 million but that still leaves a healthy plus.

Championship clubs will have access to £200 million worth of interest free loans. Division 1 clubs will get a minimum grant of £375,000 to cover loss of gate revenue.
The Premiership signed a deal 2 years ago worth £4.4 billion just for two TV packages. Granted, a rebate was agreed as a result of lost income due to Covid-19 of £170 million but that still leaves a healthy plus.

Hey, nothing in my post was meant to suggest that there isn't an absurd imbalance between the Premier League and everyone else. There is, of course.

It was just that if I'm a club that's being offered cash to cover a revenue shortfall, and my club is already making a loss (as most are) even before Covid, then I am going to much prefer that the cash is in the form of a grant rather than a short term loan. Even if the amount is less.

Any Championship club that takes advantage of the full loan amount (8 million) and doesn't get promoted to the Premiership in the next four years is likely going to have big problems paying it back. And given that it sounds like the the bulk of the 200m is coming from a loan that the EFL are taking out - I imagine they are going to be very keen indeed to get that money back. Have to expect big points deductions for any that don't repay.

As to how much OUFC will get? Going to depend on how exactly their "lost gate revenue share calculation" works. I imagine it'll be somewhere between 500 and 750k. Certainly not enough to replace the lost gate receipts.....but will replace a handful of games' worth.

The slum landlord will be rubbing his hands together methinks

Grants for L1 and 2?
My bad, my post referred to L1 & L2- I omitted to add that.

Parry doesn’t gone a toss about L1/2

Back
Top Bottom