Transfer News Ahmed Kashi

Just hope by signing Kashi doesn’t mean Nelson’s off!
The implication was that Last I is com I g in for Raglan.
KR said that Nelson and Dickie are the first choices with back up from Mousinho and Long.

It is what we need if you don't want Mous to be knackered for most games as has been explained. It allows Mous to be rested and so be more effective when he does play.

And you know he isn't match fit? How? Can you talk us through his injuries this season?

Last season for Charlton, he played 35 times for them in Lg 1 by the way.

How come our players are getting tired, bless them, and other teams are not? I invite you to scan through our opponents for tomorrow, Portsmouth’s team sheets for the last 10 games or more if you can be arsed - excluding tin pot cup matches.
They have played almost the same line up in midfield from:
Evans 33 games centre mid
Lowe 31 games winger
Naylor, 30 games defensive midfield
Curtis, 29 games winger
Thompson, 26 games centre mid
Only red cards and injuries have changed that line up.
Mous 31 games
And don’t give me the age crap. KR has said that Whyte and Browne are fatigued this season.
Nothing to do with our squad being all over the shop!

How come our players are getting tired, bless them, and other teams are not? I invite you to scan through our opponents for tomorrow, Portsmouth’s team sheets for the last 10 games or more if you can be arsed - excluding tin pot cup matches.
Lowe 31 games winger
Curtis, 29 games winger
Mous 31 games
And don’t give me the age crap. KR has said that Whyte and Browne are fatigued this season.
I'm not sure that is difficult to work out?
Whyte was playing part time until this season and Browne has played very little.
Is it THAT surprising that both get a little fatigued in what is a long season with an awful lot if games?
The club pays I assume decemt money to a sports science team to monitor the players.
I am quite prepared to believe these experts. On the other hand if you are an expert?

Lowe 31 games winger
Curtis, 29 games winger
Mous 31 games

Do you know if these guys played the full 90mins? Think that’s been one of our problems by not having anything in the bench?

I'm not sure that is difficult to work out?
Whyte was playing part time until this season and Browne has played very little.
Is it THAT surprising that both get a little fatigued in what is a long season with an awful lot if games?
The club pays I assume decemt money to a sports science team to monitor the players.
I am quite prepared to believe these experts. On the other hand if you are an expert?

It's a real shame that sports science wasn't around some thirty odd years ago.

We might have actually won something if poor Trevor Hebberd got a rest instead of being forced to play 50 games in 1984-5.

It's a real shame that sports science wasn't around some thirty odd years ago.

We might have actually won something if poor Trevor Hebberd got a rest instead of being forced to play 50 games in 1984-5.
I'm not sure whether you have watched games from the 80s on video?
Games are far quicker these days. The pitches are better and it is a different game.
TH was also an exceptional player.
Out of interest are you suggesting that We should simply ditch the sports science side as it is a waste of money?

I'm not sure whether you have watched games from the 80s on video?
Games are far quicker these days. The pitches are better and it is a different game.
TH was also an exceptional player.
Out of interest are you suggesting that We should simply ditch the sports science side as it is a waste of money?

Not video - I went to games in the 1980s.

I would reasonably argue 1985 Division 1 is no less demanding than 2019 Division 3. Grown men running hard for 90 minutes; hard really to see how that can change too much; (one sub back then, so that part’s gotten easier).

TH is particular was a renowned athlete as well as player; but that should be the norm, not the exception for professional athletes.

Not lose sports science dept at all (promise I’m not having a gratuitous dig at you, this point of yours is sound). But their best work is in prehabbing and rehabbing specific injuries.

No - what I’m saying is - lose the excuses. If you’re fatigued, train better - surely? The excuse just doesn’t wash for professional athletes in this day and age. In fact fatigue would have been more permissible back then WITHOUT sports science!

Would marines be permitted not to rock up one day because they’re physically not up to it?

That either works or players think they have two managers and get pissed off. Then you have his reoccurring injury if he crocks against Pompey KR in big trouble.. But he likes the odd gamble.
Can see why he has brought him in because it worked at Charlton before his injury set in, now no for me too much of a risk for a wow factor chairman with gazillions to spend :(

I would reasonably argue 1985 Division 1 is no less demanding than 2019 Division 3. Grown men running hard for 90 minutes; hard really to see how that can change too much; (one sub back then, so that part’s gotten easier).

TH is particular was a renowned athlete as well as player; but that should be the norm, not the exception for professional athletes.

Not lose sports science dept at all (promise I’m not having a gratuitous dig at you, this point of yours is sound). But their best work is in prehabbing and rehabbing specific injuries.

No - what I’m saying is - lose the excuses. If you’re fatigued, train better - surely? The excuse just doesn’t wash for professional athletes in this day and age. In fact fatigue would have been more permissible back then WITHOUT sports science!

Would marines be permitted not to rock up one day because they’re physically not up to it?

The difference was the players in 80s were all at a level that didn't have the benefit of sports science so the differences in fitness weren't so apparent. Also, Trevor Hebberd seemed to be naturally very fit. :)

Games, imo, were less hectic than games in general played today.

Whereas sports science has, for me, allowed players to go all out (physically) for longer in a game. The downside (again imo) of the improved fitness is that players are closer to the edge for injury because sports science allows them to push closer to it.

An example of what improved fitness levels and the risks comes from Ski Biathlon. A few top level Biathletes have stopped because of their hearts being affected by their training regimes (based off Sports Science) and this is a recent phenomenon.

Fatigue is measurable though, so not being used as an excuse. There will, I imagine, be data that shows x player's reactions are a bit slow, acceleration slow, time spent at top speed reduced etc.

An example of what improved fitness levels and the risks comes from Ski Biathlon. A few top level Biathletes have stopped because of their hearts being affected by their training regimes (based off Sports Science) and this is a recent phenomenon.

I’d be very interested to see that; but would argue it’s also more likely that more cardiomyopathies are now being diagnosed in those biathletes due to greater awareness than 30 years / availability of echo, leading to advice to medically retire.

Fatigue is measurable though, so not being used as an excuse. There will, I imagine, be data that shows x player's reactions are a bit slow, acceleration slow, time spent at top speed reduced etc.

Good point, but mine still endures; if players are fatigued after training a handful of mornings per week, sometimes two games per week - for at this stage three months only of a season - then somebody somewhere is doing something wrong in training. I’m not doubting the existence of fatigue (far from it, myself and any other NHS junior doctor could all tell horror stories related to fatigue), I’m disputing that this club should be wallowing in it and expecting we fans to swallow it as unavoidable.

It IS being used as an excuse.

Back
Top Bottom