Transfer News Agents fees, value for money?

Genuinely can't think who this would have been for. We've not made any 'big' signings in the last year. Maybe loan players? Can see a lot of cash swilling around the likes of MacGuane and Barker but not sure how much 'agent fee' is required for a loan. Maybe Winnall and Taylor? As talented as I'm sure he is I can't see e.g. McNally's agent holding out for a six-figure pay day. Fourth-highest in the league is very odd.

Also, no way Gillingham paid literally nothing. Surely something dodgy gone on there.

Genuinely can't think who this would have been for. We've not made any 'big' signings in the last year. Maybe loan players? Can see a lot of cash swilling around the likes of MacGuane and Barker but not sure how much 'agent fee' is required for a loan. Maybe Winnall and Taylor? As talented as I'm sure he is I can't see e.g. McNally's agent holding out for a six-figure pay day. Fourth-highest in the league is very odd.

Also, no way Gillingham paid literally nothing. Surely something dodgy gone on there.
Some clubs do refuse to pay agents directly - they say that it is the player should be paying their agent - but likely that they actually end up paying slightly more in things like signing on fees to players which is just passed on.

agents will also charge fees for facilitating contract renewals and arranging loans.
It is something that needs to be controlled. An agent should represent a player, fair enough, but should be employed and paid by that player for the benefit they provide. The current situation where agents charge both sides is bonkers (I will charge you for me getting my player to be employed by you as well as him paying me to do the same).

We probably had to pay Cadden's agent and Whyte's agent (and many others?) for facilitating talks which ultimately came to naught....

Seems odd for a team whose budget's barely top-half. Never mind, I'm sure a clever person will drop by in a minute and explain it.
Hopefully. My image of ‘plucky Oxford’ who spend their days operating on a shoestring is hanging by a thread.

My opinion...for what its worth.... dispense with agents, individual players could, perhaps, have their best interests overseen by a PFA representative

I thought it was due to Obita, Winnall + Taylor (all from Champ clubs + wages) being free signings, would imagine it means we'd be more willing to pay greater fees to player + agent.

I thought it was due to Obita, Winnall + Taylor (all from Champ clubs + wages) being free signings, would imagine it means we'd be more willing to pay greater fees to player + agent.
Surely we wouldn't be paying £300,000 for a player who had not played much for 4 years , another one who hadn't been able to find a club then Matty who has strong links to Oxford !!

Dodgy and Steve Evans, how dare you! That man is whiter than white..

Any signing on fee for a player shouldn’t count towards published agents’ fees, so even if we paid half a million quid to Taylor to sign on, none of it would usually show up in these figures. The player pays the agent their commission themselves. These totals represent the fees paid directly to agents by OUFC for their ‘services’ in facilitating deals and the signing of contracts. In any other walk of life they’d be called bungs, but football is... special.

We spent a hell of a lot on agents, especially when you see the size of the only three clubs above us and the team directly below being Charlton. As I’ve been saying in recent weeks, we are very competitive spenders in this division. I think the publication of these fees backs me up nicely.

Last edited:
It just seems like a legitimate form of bribery to me...otherwise there would be standardized costing for a very simple service like estate agency bringing two parties together

I’m not too fussed about the exorbitant agent costs Oxford are paying because ...well...if I was fussed I’d be told I’m wrong by someone

Maybe I am being naive, but I can never understand why the clubs have to pay the agents. Surely the agents are the players representatives, so the players should foot the bill. Or am I missing the point?

Surely we wouldn't be paying £300,000 for a player who had not played much for 4 years , another one who hadn't been able to find a club then Matty who has strong links to Oxford !!
if they are signed up to certain agents then yes - the agent wants their money

Back
Top Bottom