After today's games

Hoped to do it to Middlesbrough back in the seventies. 40000 in Ayresome Park. Got done over 4-1. Mind you, it wasn't a surprise.

Having watched the highlights of the Luton v Wombles game, it's worth pointing out that Luton battered the Wimbledon goal. Once again the Wombles owed their point to the heroics of Ramsdale in goal, really an exceptional loan player. Luton will come out of the traps at speed against us - probably worth absorbing the first 10 to 15 mins of pressure before we up the tempo down the wings. I heard from a Luton source that the fans have somewhat fallen out of love with Hylts.

I heard from a Luton source that the fans have somewhat fallen out of love with Hylts.
Collins has been by far their highest goalscorer this season.
Hylton has been in and out. He has had injuries and only they may have stopped him.getting his obligatory 2 suspensions a season!!

The league is full of complete dross teams with no consistency. All but the top 3 or 4 have been woeful at times but also put great runs together. The league concertina'd all season. Fans of every team are probably guilty of overoptimism if their team put together a run early doors. Ours came at the end and gave us time to reflect on what might have been. We have momentum to build on next year although likely with a completely different team. We have been guilty twice of storming finishes but such dire starts that we finished just short. We need to get people on longer contracts where possible, see if we can sign some of the loanees again and try and keep the team as intact as possible. Get the business done early and work with what you have got. Hard to take much positives from our final league position after the initial hype, but the last 8 have been really fun for supporters and help fog the first 34 games :) Went "large" on us finishing top half @ 11/10 and almost wrote it off at times, but the cream always rises to the top. COYY

The league is full of complete dross teams with no consistency. All but the top 3 or 4 have been woeful at times but also put great runs together. The league concertina'd all season. Fans of every team are probably guilty of overoptimism if their team put together a run early doors. Ours came at the end and gave us time to reflect on what might have been. We have momentum to build on next year although likely with a completely different team. We have been guilty twice of storming finishes but such dire starts that we finished just short. We need to get people on longer contracts where possible, see if we can sign some of the loanees again and try and keep the team as intact as possible. Get the business done early and work with what you have got. Hard to take much positives from our final league position after the initial hype, but the last 8 have been really fun for supporters and help fog the first 34 games :) Went "large" on us finishing top half @ 11/10 and almost wrote it off at times, but the cream always rises to the top. COYY
It was the first 12 games that were awful.
Hardly the first 34.
So first 12 games 5 points
Next 25 games 34 points
Last 7 games 19 points.

WIth regard to the Division being full of dross, this is Division 3 and it is pretty much like all seasons (maybe missing the real quality of the past 2 to 3 seasons at the top and the really awful teams at the bottom)

It was the first 12 games that were awful.
Hardly the first 34.
So first 12 games 5 points
Next 25 games 34 points
Last 7 games 19 points.

WIth regard to the Division being full of dross, this is Division 3 and it is pretty much like all seasons (maybe missing the real quality of the past 2 to 3 seasons at the top and the really awful teams at the bottom)
the middle teams though are consistently inconsistent but rarely consistently woeful

my memory might be playing tricks on me but no we didn't. we beat them in their last home game but they won away the following week (at Torquay wasn't it?) so went up as champions.
But had they beat us, they would have been champions then, and would have partied I'm guessing?

But had they beat us, they would have been champions then, and would have partied I'm guessing?
Indeed - they were in full self-congratulatory party mode (balloons, scarves, probably face paint, foam hands and tin foil trophies as well) with a load of home 'supporters' who were only there for the occasion rather than the match and would have gone up that day at home if they'd won (or not lost? I think). Yes, they went up eventually, but it was satisfying to pop those balloons on that day!

The trouble with Oxford is that we sometimes have great years, but seldom have great seasons.

Completely disagree that L1 is ‘full of dross’ it’s generally highly competitive. Lower league football is played to a very high standard these days. For a number of reasons not least that a lot of high quality English players hardly get a look in in the PL.

I have seen one ‘ dross’ opponent this season. Wimbledon.

Not strictly on-topic but I was checking the table this morning after the Mon/Tues games and realised Sunderland drew again. Remarkable. If they don't make the top two I'd say they're a fair bet to fluff the playoffs. That would be a record surely - to lose just three times in a season and still not go up.

Not strictly on-topic but I was checking the table this morning after the Mon/Tues games and realised Sunderland drew again. Remarkable. If they don't make the top two I'd say they're a fair bet to fluff the playoffs. That would be a record surely - to lose just three times in a season and still not go up.
...and they have Pompey on Saturday, massive game for both.

Completely disagree that L1 is ‘full of dross’ it’s generally highly competitive. Lower league football is played to a very high standard these days. For a number of reasons not least that a lot of high quality English players hardly get a look in in the PL.

I agree (although Walsall were awful at their place)
Indeed due to the state of the pitches, the fact that far more teams 'play football' and the fact that 30 years ago some of the players in League 1 would have been playing in the Top Division means that League 1 is probably better than it has ever been.

I agree with you in principle but, with absolutely no facts or figure to back this up other than my own eyeballs, I would say that the league this year has generally been worse than last. I only get to about one game in three, but off the top of my head Plymouth, Shrewsbury, Scunthorpe and Bradford, as well as Wimbledon, were all absolutely terrible at our place. Even at the top of the table, Sunderland and Barnsley are probably comparable to Blackburn and Wigan of last year as the two big clubs to come down from the Championship, and where Blackburn and Wigan absolutely walked this league, the other two are stumbling through the end of the season.

That Ramsdale is some keeper, bloody hell
Completely agree. A mega performance. We said that about Butland a few years ago when he was on loan with Cheltenham. Played a blinder at the Kassam.

Said it on another thread.....

But whilst Luton should beat a Burton side with nothing to play for on Saturday - the Brewers did beat Barnsley and draw with Sunderland earlier in the month.

And if Luton don't beat them, then there's a very high probability that they'll need something from their last game of the season.

How satisfying would it be to not only mess up their party, but also mess up their entire promotion!?!

Bet they're cursing their luck having to play the division's form team (not named Portsmouth) in game #46!

Back
Top Bottom